Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 29, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #9,691 of 10,664
Then how do you sync FLACs seeing as they won't sync using OF as they are unsupported? And I'd be grateful for the best guide for installing Rockbox on a 7.5g as the Rockbox website isn't massively clear.

Hey, I refer you to my earlier reply.

Install using the special version of the installer for the 6/7th gen. See various posts on rockbox forums or on the 'rockbox is coming to the ipod' thread on this forum for relevant link. (It's not yet officially released hence Ipod classic is still classed as 'unstable' as it is not supported by the official installer...as far as I can make out the only reason it's not officially released is that nobody involved has time/can be bothered to get round to officially doing so...people have been using it for ages, years maybe.)

Though the exact thread title is
Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.

And you'd be best searching it from the last post backwards to the most recent install information (as it went through a few versions).

Syncing using the OF != syncing with iTunes. I use a robocopy script, myself.

Sep 29, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #9,692 of 10,664
I think it's anodised like the original black/grey/silver ones. I'm hoping a blue one will be produced then I can make a red,white'n'blue iPod!

The clickwheel aperture is nicely machined, almost like original. All the Classic fronts I have bought til now haven't had such finely machined edges.

You seem to have had a lot of bad luck with iFlash. I hot-glue cards into the adapters so they don't slip out (I had a Tarkan SD-CF adapter that slipped out of the iFlash once).

I'm just clumsy. Several times dropped the thing, and when it goes 'clunk' on the floor I find there's a fair chance something will have come out of its connector. But hopefully all that insulating tape will make that less likely from now on.

Sep 29, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #9,694 of 10,664
Lovely, thanks for that. Can you share your robocopy script please? It's an absolutely nightmare trying to sync a large collection using iTunes or MediaMonkey.

If anyone else has suggestions that would also be grand :)

It all depends how you have your music library organised. I am assuming you want to sync _everything_? If you only want selected tracks it's a whole other problem and you are on your own with that (really, one reason for having a high capacity ipod mod was to avoid having to bother with that - now I just shove everything on there and forget about it).

Otherwise just a batch file with something along the lines of

robocopy "<Drive letter>:\<whatever your path is>\Music" "<ipod drive letter>:\Music" /S /LOG:Logs\musicsync.log /PURGE /DST
robocopy "<Drive letter>:\<whatever your path is>\Podcasts" "<ipod drive letter>:\Podcasts" /S /LOG:Logs\pcastssync.log /PURGE /DST

the /DST turns out to be needed because robocopy can get confused when changing to daylight saving time.

Sep 29, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #9,695 of 10,664
If you're using the OF, I've been successfully using WinAmp for many years. You can set it up to sync entire libraries and/or individual (or all your) playlists with it. I have a 7.5 gen with a dual tarkan SD adapter I always sync with it, and I've synced it with other adapters of his, as well as various 5-7.5 gen ipods. I've been using WinAmp for 15+ years now so I'm used to it, but I greatly prefer it over iTunes.

Sep 29, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #9,696 of 10,664
Lovely, thanks for that. Can you share your robocopy script please? It's an absolutely nightmare trying to sync a large collection using iTunes or MediaMonkey.

If anyone else has suggestions that would also be grand :)
If you are using Rockbox and want to sync everything:
I am using Free File sync for mac, and its working very well.
https://freefilesync.org/download.php
it is free and has a nice gui...

Sep 29, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #9,697 of 10,664
It all depends how you have your music library organised. I am assuming you want to sync _everything_? If you only want selected tracks it's a whole other problem and you are on your own with that (really, one reason for having a high capacity ipod mod was to avoid having to bother with that - now I just shove everything on there and forget about it).

Otherwise just a batch file with something along the lines of

robocopy "<Drive letter>:\<whatever your path is>\Music" "<ipod drive letter>:\Music" /S /LOG:Logs\musicsync.log /PURGE /DST
robocopy "<Drive letter>:\<whatever your path is>\Podcasts" "<ipod drive letter>:\Podcasts" /S /LOG:Logs\pcastssync.log /PURGE /DST

the /DST turns out to be needed because robocopy can get confused when changing to daylight saving time.

If you're using the OF, I've been successfully using WinAmp for many years. You can set it up to sync entire libraries and/or individual (or all your) playlists with it. I have a 7.5 gen with a dual tarkan SD adapter I always sync with it, and I've synced it with other adapters of his, as well as various 5-7.5 gen ipods. I've been using WinAmp for 15+ years now so I'm used to it, but I greatly prefer it over iTunes.

If you are using Rockbox and want to sync everything:
I am using Free File sync for mac, and its working very well.
https://freefilesync.org/download.php
it is free and has a nice gui...

Thanks guys. So it sounds like you just use drag and drop? It's not actually a sync unless you use rsync or similar?

I do run Winamp but it's version 5.04 and it's buggy as hell so I don't trust it.

So I just install Rockbox then drag and drop files into the Music folder?

I was using MediaMonkey and after about 60k files it went into Diagnostic Mode and I had to restore the iPod.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #9,699 of 10,664
Thanks guys. So it sounds like you just use drag and drop? It's not actually a sync unless you use rsync or similar?

I do run Winamp but it's version 5.04 and it's buggy as hell so I don't trust it.

So I just install Rockbox then drag and drop files into the Music folder?

I was using MediaMonkey and after about 60k files it went into Diagnostic Mode and I had to restore the iPod.
Yes Exactly: Boot into Apple os and then drag and drop or sync your folders and files, thats it...
And the folder structure you use is accessible in Rockbox ...

Sep 29, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #9,701 of 10,664
To say a bit more, rockbox will see any files or folders that are on the ipod. You could organize everything by Artist, by genre, or whatever folder structure you want to use. Those will be in the "files" menu of rockbox. The rockbox database on the other hand will use the tags from your files.

Sep 30, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #9,702 of 10,664
I accidentally started copying some files while in Rockbox not OF. Before I do a full 700GB sync I don't want to end up with corruption issues so am trying to start again from scratch. I did a restore in iTunes but the iPod still had Rockbox bootloader on and I can't remove it as the Rockbox utility doesn't see it any more.

After encountering corruption, what's the recommended procedure to start again?

Sep 30, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #9,703 of 10,664
I accidentally started copying some files while in Rockbox not OF. Before I do a full 700GB sync I don't want to end up with corruption issues so am trying to start again from scratch. I did a restore in iTunes but the iPod still had Rockbox bootloader on and I can't remove it as the Rockbox utility doesn't see it any more.

After encountering corruption, what's the recommended procedure to start again?
I had the same problem once.
Putting the iPod in recovery mode and then restoring the iPod with iTunes did it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back