Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 26, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #9,676 of 10,664
Yeah, hat was my understanding too. But reading a bit more people also states it won't fit correctly and can crack the screen, so I'm a bit confused.

Has anyone with newer models of iFlash quad confim if high capacity batteries like these can fit inside a thin back?
1900mah battery
2000mah battery

I contacted xiaowan-88, the seller of the 2000mah battery, and asked about its size. He sent me pics of a battery that are approximately 43x47mm. I don't think he sells the same battery originally offered by canamyfly2013 (Alex).

Sep 27, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #9,678 of 10,664
Red front, red clickwheel and button from a Chinese seller on ebay. Saving the red clickwheel for another pod mod.

Looks good.

I have red and blue ipods, but those were after-market car-type-paint-jobs, and the edges where top-and-bottom join have gotten chipped with repeated re-openings (headphone jack fails, iFlash cable disconnects, card pops out of iFlash, battery dies...multiple times I've had to reopen the things...now have everything plastered in insulating tape to try and stop anything ever shifting out of place when dropped).

That one looks like it's a more durable form of coloring. I hope the makers branch out into other colors, 'cos I want a green one (isn't red considered lucky in China? Maybe that's why they went with that color?)

Sep 27, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #9,679 of 10,664
Looks good.

I have red and blue ipods, but those were after-market car-type-paint-jobs, and the edges where top-and-bottom join have gotten chipped with repeated re-openings (headphone jack fails, iFlash cable disconnects, card pops out of iFlash, battery dies...multiple times I've had to reopen the things...now have everything plastered in insulating tape to try and stop anything ever shifting out of place when dropped).

That one looks like it's a more durable form of coloring. I hope the makers branch out into other colors, 'cos I want a green one (isn't red considered lucky in China? Maybe that's why they went with that color?)

I think it's anodised like the original black/grey/silver ones. I'm hoping a blue one will be produced then I can make a red,white'n'blue iPod!

The clickwheel aperture is nicely machined, almost like original. All the Classic fronts I have bought til now haven't had such finely machined edges.

You seem to have had a lot of bad luck with iFlash. I hot-glue cards into the adapters so they don't slip out (I had a Tarkan SD-CF adapter that slipped out of the iFlash once).

Sep 28, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #9,680 of 10,664
Just reading through this and was wondering about what OF means, i assume it means original firmware with regards to a rockboxed ipod classic. So is dual booting or even booting into recovery mode the best way to transfer files to the classic when under rockbox or is the rockbox bootloader fine to avoid corruption.

Sep 28, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #9,681 of 10,664
Just reading through this and was wondering about what OF means, i assume it means original firmware with regards to a rockboxed ipod classic. So is dual booting or even booting into recovery mode the best way to transfer files to the classic when under rockbox or is the rockbox bootloader fine to avoid corruption.

It does mean Original Firmware.

From what I've read, the recommendation is to sync using OF.

Sep 28, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #9,685 of 10,664
I've been using a 6th gen for a couple years now. Originally Tarkan's CF/SD for 256GB now his dual SD adapter for 512GB, so no OF for me. Was using emCore, now the single boot option for RB. So no choice but to drag/drop in RB for me. Occasionally I find a corrupted mp3 but for the most part I don't have any problems. I did find tho, that the iPod has to be on with RB booted before you connect it to a PC or it will corrupt the SD card. But otherwise, yeah, pretty reliable.

Sep 28, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #9,689 of 10,664
Nope - the whole reason for using Rockbox is that OF won't work as soon as you exceed a certain number of tracks (a number lower than the number you have). Plus OF requires tracks organised in a very particular (and really stupid and annoying) way, while Rockbox allows a more sensible organisation of files. OF is crucial for syncing, but otherwise useless. Rockbox is just better anyway :) OF is more limited than Rockbox (e.g. no support for flac).
Then how do you sync FLACs seeing as they won't sync using OF as they are unsupported? And I'd be grateful for the best guide for installing Rockbox on a 7.5g as the Rockbox website isn't massively clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back