Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 23, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #9,662 of 10,664
After reading the forum I'm still wondering what is the highest battery capacity you can fit into an ipod 5.5 with iFlash Quad and a thin back. With a thick back most things will fit but what would be the best battery you can fit into the think one?

According to https://www.iflash.xyz/3rd-party-extended-battery-guide/ it would be 2000 mAh battery for a thin back and a 3000 mAh for a thick back.

Sep 23, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #9,663 of 10,664
Sep 23, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #9,664 of 10,664
Yeah, hat was my understanding too. But reading a bit more people also states it won't fit correctly and can crack the screen, so I'm a bit confused.

Has anyone with newer models of iFlash quad confim if high capacity batteries like these can fit inside a thin back?
1900mah battery
2000mah battery

I haven't seen anyone saying the 2000 won't fit. It fits. Though I do wonder whether all these sellers always send the particular battery type they show on their listings (the seller you link to is not the original 2000mah battery seller). It appears that some of the 1900 ones fit and some don't because that one comes in slightly different sizes (as stated in Tarkan's guide).

(If you order that 2000 one and it _is_ the one that fits, let us know!)

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #9,665 of 10,664
Yeah, hat was my understanding too. But reading a bit more people also states it won't fit correctly and can crack the screen, so I'm a bit confused.

Has anyone with newer models of iFlash quad confim if high capacity batteries like these can fit inside a thin back?
1900mah battery
2000mah battery

I have 2 thin iPods with a battery from eBay which i posted here in this thread( go back a few pages, you will find it)
I bought two of these batteries from the same seller, both were the same size and fit into the slim with iquad.
i posted a video on youtube, you can find it in this thread here, too.
i named the video opening and closing of thin iPod,

just browse this thread here, you will find all information needed.
and if you are still unsure, just go for the thick back, all batteries will fit into the thick iPod...

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #9,666 of 10,664

1900mah battery
2000mah battery
i just checked the links, and the guy who sells the 2000 mah batterie is actually the same seller, where i bought my 2 (but different) batteries.
My batteries work fine since a couple of weeks, so i think you have a good chance to get a good batterie which will fit into a slim iquad iPod from this seller.
Please let us know here, if you decide to try this batterie how it works out...

Sep 24, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #9,667 of 10,664

1900mah battery
2000mah battery

The eBay listing for the 2000mah you posted is almost identical to the listing of the previous seller. The title is exactly the same, many of the pictures are identical, ect. The current seller is either the previous seller under a new name or he copied most of the previous seller's listing. If you do buy it, please post the dimensions here.

Sep 25, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #9,668 of 10,664
Just checked, and it won't work out like how I wanted, so I think I'm going to try a Raspberry Pi-based "portable" Hi-Fi system and just upgrade the storage in the iPod. Thanks for the heads-up!

only the 6th gen and up support digital output, but even then I believe you need 'made for ipod' dockingstations to make it work.

If you want that, I would suggest something like the Cambridge Audio iD100 Digital iPod Dock

Sep 25, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #9,670 of 10,664
Most of the time I use the file option as well. Only to create playlists by genre, the database option is a nice feature. By the way, I always wanted to shuffle all music, always thought this is not possible. If you are interested, it is possible: just open the rock box config in text editor, and then increase the maximum playlist item number to whatever you like. I have a playlist containing all of my 95,000 songs, which is playing most of the time in shuffle mode :wink:
Anyone else tried this? Ive edited it from 32,000 to 50,000 and saved it, but every time i try to load my full dir (about 33k) it still stops at 32k. Not sure what im doing wrong, or if theres a second file i have to edit? This is on a 6G, with the most recent RB update (i think yesterday).

Sep 25, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #9,671 of 10,664
How much of a runtime can I expect with a iPod Classic 6.5G modded with the "old" Tarkan ZIF to CF then CF to SD Type II 128GB SDXC Card with a fresh 1950mAh battery

8XRBKjq.jpg

bought my wife a small present that I stil have to prepare
picked up the 120GB iPod Classic 6.5G for 10 EUR (local classifieds) both battery and harddrive is beaten and the front cover has many marks of droping the display is fine
  • iPod Classic 120GB Silver 6.5G 10,00 €
  • 1950mAh Battery Thick Back Case Buchse Hold Button 24,73 €
  • Front Plate Silver 14,26 €
  • iFlash CF to SD / ZIF to CF Bundle (2015) 33,31 €
  • 128GB Komputerbay 128GB SDXC (2015 ) 40,00 €

122,29 € Total amount

Sep 25, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #9,672 of 10,664
C6C5F325-9415-461B-A961-0A2A1474341C.jpeg
Anyone else tried this? Ive edited it from 32,000 to 50,000 and saved it, but every time i try to load my full dir (about 33k) it still stops at 32k. Not sure what im doing wrong, or if theres a second file i have to edit? This is on a 6G, with the most recent RB update (i think yesterday).
On the pic you can see: 104000 songs in playlist. The theme is aluminart, I really like that one.
The configfile is in the hidden rockbox folder,
After you edit it, you have to restart the iPod, did you do that?
My music is sorted in Artist/Album folders,
here is the config text i use, copy and paste it into yours:
max files in playlist: 200000
max files in dir: 6000

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #9,675 of 10,664
My red one!

That's very nice! Is that a special edition, or a 3rd party front?

There are certain other DACs with the MFi authentication chip that will work with an iPod Classic, although some that work don't actually list the Classic as supported (even though it does work). One example is the Oppo HA-2, but there are at least a few others.

Another example would be certain AV receivers with a USB Type A MFi input, many of them (but not all depending on firmware) will work with a Classic, though most of them don't actually include the Classic as a supported model. Ditto the in-car infotainment systems found in certain automobiles, a handful have a USB Type A input that will actually work with an iPod Classic.

I always assumed that there were pins assigned specifically for this, but it seems to do it via 'usb audio'(probably apple-encrypted at that).

However the OP's original question pertained specifically to the use of the Rockbox firmware in place of the iPod's stock firmware, and that definitely does not support digital output over the 30-pin dock connector regardless of what DAC is connected, digital output is not supported in Rockbox unless something has changed very recently.

Ah, no this will not work with RockBox. I missed that part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back