Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 17, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #9,631 of 10,664
I have a 5.5 gen with 2 x 512 SD cards, Tarkan Dual, 1,900 battery. Been working perfectly for 2 years without a single issue using Rockbox and OF to transfer files.

Thanks! More or less can you tell me how fast is the iPod data transfer with those cards and rockbox? Ballpark.

I've got a 5.5 with iflash dual (PNY 512 x 2) & the 2000mah battery. Been working great for years.

Hi! Thanks for the answer as well, can you tell me how many hours does the battery last usually?

Not with the Samsung 850EVO and Tarkan's latest version adapter. With the old 840, yes.

When you say Samsung 850EVO you mean the m.2 version or the SSD you can buy in Amazon for example? Like this one, perhaps?
411Nkn1qbnL._SX355_.jpg

Sep 17, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #9,632 of 10,664
What is the current state of Rockbox with 7.5g Classic?

I will be running 50,000-70,000 mp3 tracks using an iFlash Quad. Just getting a lot of conflicting information.

Some people say regular crashes and corruption issues. Not supported or stable according to Rockbox.

However, @ThinWalls says that "it runs more smoothly" and @PommesMagnum seems to have it running fine with faster database generation than 5g/5.5g. Perhaps both of you could explain how you got it running so stable? Is it just going dual boot and using OF to sync?

Sep 17, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #9,633 of 10,664
Thanks! More or less can you tell me how fast is the iPod data transfer with those cards and rockbox? Ballpark.

Hi! Thanks for the answer as well, can you tell me how many hours does the battery last usually?

When you say Samsung 850EVO you mean the m.2 version or the SSD you can buy in Amazon for example? Like this one, perhaps?
411Nkn1qbnL._SX355_.jpg

The transfer rate back when I loaded my music was 4mb/sec. You need to boot into OF to load the cards. Loading in Rockbox will corrupt your files.

My battery lasts a really long time compared to the original. I've never timed it & I usually charge it well before it gets near empty. The 2000mah I use is no longer available. I suspect the 3000mah's out there would also be a big improvement over the stock battery. I wouldn't build an ipod without an upgraded battery.

Sep 17, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #9,634 of 10,664
The transfer rate back when I loaded my music was 4mb/sec. You need to boot into OF to load the cards. Loading in Rockbox will corrupt your files.

My battery lasts a really long time compared to the original. I've never timed it & I usually charge it well before it gets near empty. The 2000mah I use is no longer available. I suspect the 3000mah's out there would also be a big improvement over the stock battery. I wouldn't build an ipod without an upgraded battery.

Thanks! Yeah, I understand what you say about the upgraded battery, I rushed for the iFlash I did not even considered buying a new battery. Now I get around 10 or 12 hours of use with the old (and as far as I know, original battery)

Sep 17, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #9,637 of 10,664

I will be running 50,000-70,000 mp3 tracks using an iFlash Quad. Just getting a lot of conflicting information.

Some people say regular crashes and corruption issues. Not supported or stable according to Rockbox.

However, @ThinWalls says that "it runs more smoothly" and @PommesMagnum seems to have it running fine with faster database generation than 5g/5.5g. Perhaps both of you could explain how you got it running so stable? Is it just going dual boot and using OF to sync?

Have a quad-pod and several dual-adaptor pods - both 7.5 and 5.5 gen. The menus definitely seem slower on ipod video, and it doesn't support some of the advanced sound-filters in rockbox very well, presumably because of the weaker processor (not that I use most of those features anyway). The 7.5gens work perfectly well as long as I use OF mode for syncing, and the simulator to update the database. I did find that the dual adaptor 7.5gens were fussy about exactly which brand of sd card you used. I haven't tried different brands for the quad adaptor (doesn't seem to be that much choice of micro sd card anyway) so don't know if there's any similar problem there.

People who have issues are usually syncing with rockbox (very bad idea, people regularly turn up on rockbox forums with that problem) or may be using a card brand that it doesn't like, or have a bad card, cable or connection somewhere. Quite fortunate that one particular Rockbox dev did a lot of work to enable dual boot - until that was done, flash card ipods were really very limited. Three cheers for that guy!

Sep 17, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #9,638 of 10,664

iPod thin 160 with 2*400gb and 2*200 gb grey red sandisk micro sd tarkan quad.
Rockbox runs very good, transfer speed is 15-20 megabyte /s, data transfer in apple os mode, database building directly on iPod.
Continous playtime around 100-130 hours with the battery i linked a few pages back here.
but these issues:
Database: updating not possible, initialize instead works. the first time i initialized it didn't work, only after the second attempt.
since then it always worked with first attempt.
Library cache and database to ram caused some issues, i do not use this features since.
start screen resume music caused some issues, i just set it to main menu.
All this mentioned bugs are very minor to me, other than these it works flawlessly since some months.
i use iPod every day.
best terabyte mp3 player i could dream of...
by the way: i have two of the 1.2tb(actually 1.08tb) iPod 7.5:)

Sep 17, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #9,639 of 10,664
Have a quad-pod and several dual-adaptor pods - both 7.5 and 5.5 gen. The menus definitely seem slower on ipod video, and it doesn't support some of the advanced sound-filters in rockbox very well, presumably because of the weaker processor (not that I use most of those features anyway). The 7.5gens work perfectly well as long as I use OF mode for syncing, and the simulator to update the database. I did find that the dual adaptor 7.5gens were fussy about exactly which brand of sd card you used. I haven't tried different brands for the quad adaptor (doesn't seem to be that much choice of micro sd card anyway) so don't know if there's any similar problem there.

People who have issues are usually syncing with rockbox (very bad idea, people regularly turn up on rockbox forums with that problem) or may be using a card brand that it doesn't like, or have a bad card, cable or connection somewhere. Quite fortunate that one particular Rockbox dev did a lot of work to enable dual boot - until that was done, flash card ipods were really very limited. Three cheers for that guy!

Thanks! I'll be using SanDisk Ultra which is on the recommended list. In your experience which cards play nice?

Sep 17, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #9,640 of 10,664
iPod thin 160 with 2*400gb and 2*200 gb grey red sandisk micro sd tarkan quad.
Rockbox runs very good, transfer speed is 15-20 megabyte /s, data transfer in apple os mode, database building directly on iPod.
Continous playtime around 100-130 hours with the battery i linked a few pages back here.
but these issues:
Database: updating not possible, initialize instead works. the first time i initialized it didn't work, only after the second attempt.
since then it always worked with first attempt.
Library cache and database to ram caused some issues, i do not use this features since.
start screen resume music caused some issues, i just set it to main menu.
All this mentioned bugs are very minor to me, other than these it works flawlessly since some months.
i use iPod every day.
best terabyte mp3 player i could dream of...
by the way: i have two of the 1.2tb(actually 1.08tb) iPod 7.5:)

Thanks for this. Do you install in any particular way or just normally? Good to know simple dual boot with OF synching should be okay.

So I should be able to use OF to sync and dual boot. And OF will work as well as Rockbox in case I have issues?

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #9,641 of 10,664
Thanks for this. Do you install in any particular way or just normally? Good to know simple dual boot with OF synching should be okay.

So I should be able to use OF to sync and dual boot. And OF will work as well as Rockbox in case I have issues?

Nope - the whole reason for using Rockbox is that OF won't work as soon as you exceed a certain number of tracks (a number lower than the number you have). Plus OF requires tracks organised in a very particular (and really stupid and annoying) way, while Rockbox allows a more sensible organisation of files. OF is crucial for syncing, but otherwise useless. Rockbox is just better anyway :) OF is more limited than Rockbox (e.g. no support for flac).

Sep 17, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #9,642 of 10,664
Nope - the whole reason for using Rockbox is that OF won't work as soon as you exceed a certain number of tracks (a number lower than the number you have). Plus OF requires tracks organised in a very particular (and really stupid and annoying) way, while Rockbox allows a more sensible organisation of files. OF is crucial for syncing, but otherwise useless. Rockbox is just better anyway :) OF is more limited than Rockbox (e.g. no support for flac).

Oh, I don't think I've used Apple firmware for more than 10 years. Back then everything was with metadata so file organisation was never an issue. And I never had to use iTunes then either!

Sep 17, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #9,643 of 10,664
Install using the special version of the installer for the 6/7th gen. See various posts on rockbox forums or on the 'rockbox is coming to the ipod' thread on this forum for relevant link. (It's not yet officially released hence Ipod classic is still classed as 'unstable' as it is not supported by the official installer...as far as I can make out the only reason it's not officially released is that nobody involved has time/can be bothered to get round to officially doing so...people have been using it for ages, years maybe.)

Sep 20, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #9,645 of 10,664
I also have a question regarding modding iPod Classics (mine is a 6th gen).

1) I want Rockbox on it! I ran Rockbox on a third generation iPod some 10-15 years ago, and I've disliked the Apple firmware and how OSX handles music since.
2) I want to upgrade the storage to solid state technology, and the iFlash mSATA adaptor looked really good for price vs. storage.
3) I intend to use the iPod as a portable source and player for a portable DAC, with the iPod passing the file to the DAC for actual processing. I understand that the external DAC would require its own power, and the mSATA drive would likely necessitate an external power source as well, like a pair of wall warts or a portable backup battery, so my use of the word "portable" is more like a travel setup.
4) As far as portable DAC/amps go, I'm really eyeballing the Schiit Fulla2, primarily for their Linux friendliness.

Is this doable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back