- Feb 2, 2010
Rockbox for the iPod Classic
iPod 6G/6.5G/7G (Classic 1G/2G/3G) (2007-2011, 80/120/160GB)
‘I love Rockbox’ [cooperpwc]
‘My Classic runs beautifully on Rockbox firmware’ [WildmaN86]
‘I feel that the sound quality is amazing on Rockbox’ [yosh]
‘Just opened the iPod's box, and I didn't even turn it on! It's straight to Rockbox!’ [putente]
- Uninstallation - back to Apple's original firmware
- Useful links
Installing alternative software/firmware on your iPod Classic is not supported by Apple. We are not responsible in any way for any damage you might do to your iPod. If you would like to use EmCORE/Rockbox on your iPod Classic we strongly advise you to carefully read the manuals both here and on freemyipod.org. The information on installing and managing Rockbox on the iPod Classic is written for users with a Windows-based pc.
What is Rockbox? Why should I use it?
Rockbox is an open source firmware replacement for a growing number of digital audio players. It has been in development since 2001 and receives new features, tweaks and fixes every day to provide you with the best possible music listening experience. Rockbox aims to be considerably more functional and efficient than your device's stock firmware while remaining easy to use and customizable. It is a goal to not only offer a wide range of functionality, but where possible make sure that this functionality is presented in a consistent manner that is easy to learn and use. It is written by users, for users.
Another top priority of Rockbox is audio playback quality. Rockbox, for most models, includes a wider range of sound settings than that device's original firmware. A lot of work has been put into making Rockbox sound the best it can, and improvements are constantly being made. All models have access to a large number of plugins, including many games, applications, and graphical demos.
You can load different configurations quickly for different purposes (e.g. a large font for in your car, different sound settings for at home). You can even customize your While Playing Screen to display only and exactly what you want to see when your music is playing. In addition, Rockbox features a wide range of languages, and all supported models also have the ability to talk to you - menus can be voiced and filenames spelled out or spoken.
Key features of Rockbox for the Classic
- Support for over 30 sound codecs
- Advanced On-The-Go playlist creation
- Gapless playback
- 10-band fully-parametric equalizer and crossfeed
- Standard USB file transfer, no iTunes or other software needed
- Navigate through music using both folder structure and database from meta info
- High resolution volume control
- Ability to create own themes or use user-uploaded ones
- Advanced crossfading
- ReplayGain support
- Cuesheet support
- Album Art support
- JPEG image and text-file viewing
- Multilingual interface
Why this topic? Isn't all the info I need on their official website www.rockbox.org?
Well, that's true for all the models supported by the Rockbox Utility and meeting certain criteria. This isn't the case for the iPod Classic, this installation involves a little more attention.
All the information and software mentioned in this topic is NOT (fully) supported by Rockbox, but they also link to freemyipod’s emCORE.
Click here to go to the Installation of the Rockbox bootloader on iPod Classic (80/120/160 GB)
http://www.rockbox.org/ (Rockbox homepage)
http://freemyipod.org/wiki/Main_Page (FreeMyiPod homepage)
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b5xbw6cp4ikfxwn/MjELjmDNJ_ (a list of great custom Rockbox builds, by aroldan)
http://www.rockbox.org/dl.cgi?bin=ipod6g (Rockbox Daily builds for the Classic)
http://builds.freemyipod.org/ (all emCORE builds - use with caution as some are still under development)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/604266/review-modded-ipod-classic-7g-with-240gb-hdd-from-ebay (A topic about Classics with a custom 240GB hard drive)
- The people from Rockbox
- The people from FreeMyiPod
- Cástor Muñoz who introduced great powersaving patches for the Classic port
- [u][size=16px][color=#1155cc][u]aroldan[/u][/color][/size][/u] who has been implementing merged patches and customizing the Classic port to make it even better
- All those who give support in this topic
- [u][size=16px][color=#1155cc][u]r100[/u][/color][/size][/u], [u][size=16px][color=#1155cc][u]putente[/u][/color][/size][/u], [u][size=16px][color=#1155cc][u]jtaylor991[/u][/color][/size][/u] and [u][size=16px][color=#1155cc][u]captainwolf[/u][/color][/size][/u] for writing and contributing to this manual