Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Jan 12, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #33 of 3,645
Jan 12, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #35 of 3,645

Quote:
Yeah and there's the Wadia itransport but you'll have to fast for quite some time to get that.

actually the wadia itransport is quite cheaper than the solo...$379 vs $575.
there's also the onkyo option..but both the wadia and onkyo are not portable, with connection to a wall outlet.  
solo is battery powered, but whether it can be considered portable with DAP + solo+ amp is another question...

Jan 12, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #36 of 3,645
Jan 12, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #38 of 3,645

Quote:
When they say Classic 1g, they're referring to the latest model, correct? As in, if I were to walk into Wal-mart right now and buy one

The Rockbox team refer to the latest model as the Classic 3G.  For anyone else who's wondering, it goes as:

Classic 1G (80GB slim, 160GB fat)
Classic 2G (slim, 120GB only)
Classic 3G (same size as 2G, 160GB only)

They're all pretty much the same, though, and the port is at the same stage on all models with the exception of the chubby 1G 160GB.

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #39 of 3,645

Quote:
Quote:
When they say Classic 1g, they're referring to the latest model, correct? As in, if I were to walk into Wal-mart right now and buy one

The Rockbox team refer to the latest model as the Classic 3G.  For anyone else who's wondering, it goes as:

Classic 1G (80GB slim, 160GB fat)
Classic 2G (slim, 120GB only)
Classic 3G (same size as 2G, 160GB only)

They're all pretty much the same, though, and the port is at the same stage on all models with the exception of the chubby 1G 160GB.

The Classic "2G" also comes in 80GB.  Same size as the 120GB version.

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #40 of 3,645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Classic "2G" also comes in 80GB.  Same size as the 120GB version.

Not to be a nit-pick but the 2G is definitely 120GB only (I know, cos I have one
smile_phones.gif
).

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #41 of 3,645
Okay, what gen. do the Rockbox team refer to the ones we call classic 6 gen.?

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #42 of 3,645
This is very good news! The Ipod goes from something I would never buy to something I will definitely consider when RockBox is available for it.
beerchug.gif

The developers whould make sure that line out is fully supported. Also, there are a variety of devices which take the digital stream out of an Ipod to send to a DAC. Will this make those devices not work? I love EQing the digital stream on my Iriver H120, and it would be fun try it on the superior color screen of the Classics.

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #44 of 3,645

Quote:
Okay, what gen. do the Rockbox team refer to the ones we call classic 6 gen.?

It's kind of a muddle, because people talk about 6G and 7G Classics, despite there being 3 revisions (1G, 2G, 3G, as in my earlier post).

As an attempt to answer your question, this is how the RB team do it: all iPod Classics are 6Gs, often referred to only as the "iPod Classic", since the "Classic" name is distinct from the earlier 1G-5.5G models.  There's then a further subdivide into 1G, 2G and 3G.

I believe the 7G term has never been used officially by Apple to describe any kind of iPod Classic, but was widely adopted after one of the Classic refreshes (probably the 1G -> 2G refresh, since there was actually a visible, external difference - the size).  Again, I believe Apple refer to all Classics as "6G" models, but I could be wrong.

EDIT: I should point out that for all intents and purposes, none of this matters.  If you have a chubby iPod Classic you might have to wait a little longer for a stable release, is all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back