Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Oct 8, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #6,512 of 10,664
Hey all, been following this thread here for quite some time now, awesome source of info.  Built a few different ipods ( soon to be ~8), but planning on selling a few once im done with a few more repairs/upgrades.

Anyways, just ordered some parts from Tarkan to build another SD ipod since my 240gb & 256gb ipods are both full, and got to thinking about the different generation Classics.  I know for sure of Software Revisions 1.1.2, 2.0.4 and 2.0.5, but im not sure if there are any others.  My 6th (1.1.2) is rockbox'ed to use a 256gb SD card, and I think my 7th (2.0.4, w/ 240gb HD)  should work at 256gb or 512gb SD with the stock OS.  But this got me to wondering other things.  For example, will a 1.1.2 work with a 160gb or 240gb HD?  Once I go 512 im considering putting my 240gb drive into my wife's ipod, if the stock OS will accept it (1.1.2).  I know the LBA restriction causes issues with the SD cards, but I no longer recall if the standard HDs have that issue or not.

I guess what im getting at is, what size HDs will work with what software revisions?  Im ok with Rockbox for my personal SDpod, but for the travel ipod or my wife's ipod, stock OS is a must, so im planning on rebuilding all my ipods to maximize the # of them I can get to run the stock OS.

Before you ask, im trying to stay away from 5th & 5.5 gen ipods and stay strictly with Classics.  May seem silly to some, but I just prefer them more.

Hopefully I didn't confuse everyone, and thanks in advance for any info
biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #6,516 of 10,664
  To those using the Tarkan Dual SDXC adapter, thick back and 2000mAh battery. Are you using the foam pads?

No I'm not using the foam pads with the thick back and 2000mAh battery.

I tried to use them when I beta tested the prototype Dual with the 2000mAh battery and thick case back, and I had trouble squeezing the case fully shut. Tarkan said to just remove the foam and it would close just fine, which it did. It wasn't too loose that way either, nothing rattling around inside on a Gen. 5.5.

So the foam pads appear to be for use as a spacer with the thick case back and a standard/OEM sized battery, they aren't needed and in fact make the assembly too thick when using the 2000mAh battery.

Oct 8, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #6,517 of 10,664

No I'm not using the foam pads with the thick back and 2000mAh battery.

I tried to use them when I beta tested the prototype Dual with the 2000mAh battery and thick case back, and I had trouble squeezing the case fully shut. Tarkan said to just remove the foam and it would close just fine, which it did. It wasn't too loose that way either, nothing rattling around inside on a Gen. 5.5.

So the foam pads appear to be for use as a spacer with the thick case back and a standard/OEM sized battery, they aren't needed and in fact make the assembly too thick when using the 2000mAh battery.

So just to confirm, If I want to build a large capacity iPod from a 5th gen using the dual SD board, I would need a thick back cover, a 2200mah battery (Anyone have a link to these?), and anything else?

I just discovered the dual board this morning and decided to mod a ipod I have laying around.  

Thanks

Oct 8, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #6,518 of 10,664
  So just to confirm, If I want to build a large capacity iPod from a 5th gen using the dual SD board, I would need a thick back cover, a 2200mah battery (Anyone have a link to these?), and anything else?

I just discovered the dual board this morning and decided to mod a ipod I have laying around.  

Thanks

I believe you would only need the thick back cover if you plan to upgrade the battery to a 2000mAh version.

If your Gen. 5 is a thin back and you plan to keep using the stock battery, I see no reason why the iFlash-Dual wouldn't fit, however I've not actually tried it and Tarkan would best be able to answer the question of whether the Dual will fit in a thin backed iPod.

More importantly, you'd be wise to upgrade to the 2000mAh battery, it is far superior to any other I've tried.

Here is a link to that 2000mAh battery, from the most trusted seller. Other sellers have proven to be more problematic to some of the members on this forum, so I'd stick with this listing if I were you.

Don't be confused by the description saying "thin version" etc... read through it and you will see you need the thick back cover.

You might also want to pick-up the thick version headphone jack/hold switch assembly too. I have successfully done without it and just reused the existing thin version in one or more of my builds, by placing a small mount of foam as a spacer, but other members have cautioned not to do this.

I've found the foam spacer and existing screw mount to be solid, but it makes the actual jack opening not sit entirely flush with the round hole opening in the thick case. It's only off by a fraction of a millimeter or so, but if that sort of thing will bother you then buy a thick version headphone jack/hold switch assembly too.

Oct 8, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #6,519 of 10,664

I believe you would only need the thick back cover if you plan to upgrade the battery to a 2000mAh version.  

I do plan on it

If your Gen. 5 is a thin back and you plan to keep using the stock battery, I see no reason why the iFlash-Dual wouldn't fit, however I've not actually tried it and Tarkan would best be able to answer the question of whether the Dual will fit in a thin backed iPod.

Yes it's the 30gig 5th gen

Here is a link to that 2000mAh battery, from the most trusted seller. Other sellers have proven to be more problematic to some of the members on this forum, so I'd stick with this listing if I were you.

There are NO US based sellers of this battery???  I hate waiting for the slow boat from China... :frowning2:

You might also want to pick-up the thick version headphone jack/hold switch assembly too. I have successfully done without it and just reused the existing thin version in one or more of my builds, by placing a small mount of foam as a spacer, but other members have cautioned not to do this.

This jack is from the 80gig 5.5gen????

See answers/questions above....

How does the dual SD card combine 2 cards when Tarkan said it reads it as JBOD?  Typically in a JBOD setup, it treats each one as a single "drive"

Oct 8, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #6,521 of 10,664
  Yes, there is issue with standard HDs, same as with SD cards...

Yep youre right, just confirmed that a 160GB (Thick Model, MB150LLA, rev 1.1.2), wont show 160 GB when it restores with a single platter 160 GB drive.  So odd!

So that actually kind of sucks because I only have one working 7.5 gen logic board, but multiple 6.x gen.  And of course, Apple assigned both the 7 & 7.5 gen logic boards the same p/n, which makes it difficult to know which version it is without being able to power it up.  Its crazy how much they've jumped in price too, this time last year you could snag one up off ebay for $50, now theyre more like $100.  Almost makes it not worth searching them out anymore; might as well go 5th gen & RockBox I guess.

Oct 8, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #6,522 of 10,664

See answers/questions above....

How does the dual SD card combine 2 cards when Tarkan said it reads it as JBOD?  Typically in a JBOD setup, it treats each one as a single "drive"

So you need the thick back if using the 2000mAh battery, and the question of fit in a thin backed iPod is moot.

No U.S. sellers of that battery to the best of my knowledge. It doesn't actually come via slow boat, it goes Air Mail, but I agree waiting sucks and a U.S. seller would be optimal. Mine have arrived in 5-10 days here in NY, landing at JFK airport direct from China with no other stops.

Yes, the thick headphone jack/hold switch is from the 80GB Gen 5.5. 

Oct 8, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #6,523 of 10,664

Yep youre right, just confirmed that a 160GB (Thick Model, MB150LLA, rev 1.1.2), wont show 160 GB when it restores with a single platter 160 GB drive.  So odd!

So that actually kind of sucks because I only have one working 7.5 gen logic board, but multiple 6.x gen.  And of course, Apple assigned both the 7 & 7.5 gen logic boards the same p/n, which makes it difficult to know which version it is without being able to power it up.  Its crazy how much they've jumped in price too, this time last year you could snag one up off ebay for $50, now theyre more like $100.  Almost makes it not worth searching them out anymore; might as well go 5th gen & RockBox I guess.

I think that you can use single platter drive 160GB on 6th gen logic board but you must use Rockbox with Emcore....

Oct 8, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #6,524 of 10,664
Yeah, you can. My SDPod started life as a 6th Gen 80Gb. Put the 160Gb drive in out of my 7th Gen, then Rockboxed it, and later on went 256Gb. So yeah it'll work that way. Secretly I was hoping that the $25 Classic I just bought, and fixed with spare parts, would work without Rockboxing it. Rockbox is a little buggy on the Classics, and was hoping to avoid that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back