Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Oct 2, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #6,497 of 10,664
Yeh!  Got my 512gb sdxc up and running.
Maybe I won't need to carry two ipods around now!

(Not that I actually _needed_ to, if I wasn't obsessed with having every bit of music and every podcast with me!)

Oct 2, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #6,498 of 10,664
Apologies for this being my first post its very noobish, I'm planning on building together a black and gold iPod video and noticed when sourcing parts on ebay a lack of a gold click button. 
My question is would a click button from a 6th gen classic be the same size and fit without causing any issues ? 

Oct 3, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #6,499 of 10,664
Hi all. Getting closer. I ordered the Tarkan Dual adaptor. 2 sd cards. PNY 128gb (95mb/s) and PNY 256gb (90mb/s). I got a deal on the 128gb so I jumped on it. I hope the 95 mb/s isn't a problem. How should I format it/them? I am using my sd card slot on my macbook pro. I hope that is ok. Should I go to disc utility, "Erase", have it set to ExFat, then click the erase button? Or should I do MS-DOS (FAT) then click erase? Or should I just leave them alone until they are in the iPod? Also, what has been agreed upon as the best set of tools for opening a 5.5 gen 80gb iPod and for installing a tartan adaptor?

Oct 3, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #6,500 of 10,664
I don't think you have to worry about formatting them, just insert them into the adapter and let iTunes restore the iPod.  Opening the 5G is easy but be gentle as you can break the small plastic tabs from the plastic front.  Grab a few of these

Oct 3, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #6,501 of 10,664
  I don't think you have to worry about formatting them, just insert them into the adapter and let iTunes restore the iPod.  Opening the 5G is easy but be gentle as you can break the small plastic tabs from the plastic front.  Grab a few of these

+1, don't bother with a reformat upfront, let iTunes do that in the Restore process.

If you use your Mac to Restore it will automatically format the SD cards HFS+, if using a Windows machine it will format the SD cards FAT32.

Another +1 on that case opening tool being the best one, if you don't have that you can also use either a spark plug gapping tool, or a very thin putty knife. Be very careful not to break the battery cable clasp once you've got the case open, critical to take your time at that point.

Oct 3, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #6,502 of 10,664
Ok. Guys. Thanks for the support and re answering questions. I think it's appropriate in this thread. This is a great way to support Tarkan and have DAPs with a ton of storage, good sound, and long battery life. Can't beat it. 

Oct 3, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #6,503 of 10,664
Was able to practice on a broken 30gb iPod 5th generation. The battery cable came out when I pulled the case apart, but I was able to replace the battery successfully. Seems like I made a mistake, but in the end it worked.

Oct 5, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #6,504 of 10,664
Dear Community,

I am having real problems as it seems.

My car-ipod is giving me following problem:
since I only wanted to have  wave files on my ipod, I wanted to manually choose more music on my ipod.
I saw though that the check mark I had once set, was gone......
SoI restored it (on my laptop).
The check mark on  use ipod as HDD is standard, just like  copy all files.

But I want to choose my music manually. So I set the check mark there instead on  "copy all files".
This is where I had set it before, does itunes not remember that anymore?
So that is what I set iTunes on and started to transfer music about
I only gave it about 50GB at once, because of the battery (that's the ipod you repaired the battery-connector on).
I completely filled it up.
Remembering only to disconnect ipod through itunes and not windows explorer.

It took some days,  finally today I erased some Rock/Pop  to  put more  R&B and Hip-Hop on the "little thing".
I saw that the check mark on  select playlists and artists was gone.  Didn't pay any attenetion to it.

I connected it to my car headunit,  the headunit recognized the ipod    but    the music didn't play.
Disconnected the ipod, pressed play, no chance it didn't play it stayed at   00:00 min.

How can it happen, that the check mark just disappears like that?
I used the same original (no aftermaket) ipod cable, used the same USB port.

Or is it maybe me?!?   I hope not.   I feel so not able and extremely frustrated with the whole issue.
I am so sad and somehow disappointed.

Maybe I have to try it with my regular PC, but with my luck......... I don't see a good future for me.
Or just having a laptop for mp3's,  one for WAVE R&B/Rap and my PC for Rock/Pop stuff.

I just don't know, I am getting sooo desperate over that issue.

Please you cracks, help me.

Bye,
JULIA

Oct 5, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #6,505 of 10,664
I suggest instead of using msata, use Tarken dual SD card adapter and then getting a few 256GB SD cards. SD cards are much more stable.

Oct 6, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #6,507 of 10,664
I received my production version of the iFlash-Dual.

Looks about the same as the prototype except for the addition of what looks like epoxy to a section of the front side of the board, likely to keep any would be competitor's prying eyes at bay.

I saw the new U3 version of the PNY 256GB SDXC card on TigerDirect for $89, so I popped for two of them and will replace the mSATA in one of my Gen. 5.5 units with the iFlash Dual.

Oct 8, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #6,509 of 10,664
Can anyone recommend a supplier of replacement 6th gen classic scroll wheels? The few I've bought off ebay just seem unresponsive, dead spots etc. Scroll wheels for 5th gen videos have been ok so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back