Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 26, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #6,481 of 10,664
Juwel1998:

Sounds like just the usual flakiness of an ssd ipod, I'm afraid.  The multiple partitions you see are, I think, just the way the ipod arranges the disk, it does something to it that means the computer doesn't see the true disk structure when you connect the ipod, only when its connected directly.

What did you use to format the SSD?  AOMEI? I can't remember what you are supposed to set with clustersize and everything else, but is there not a full description of the process on Tarkan's site somewhere?

The only tip I can offer is that sometimes, when you get the red-cross, you don't have to completely reformat, its enough to just 'rebuild the mbr' in AOMEI (much quicker and doesn't lose all your data).

Sep 27, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #6,482 of 10,664
So, I finally decided to put together my iPod after months of being too lazy, and have stumbled upon yet another problem. A little history:

I started almost a year ago, wanted to put a 500GB SSD in my iPod and did so. Completed the project severatimes but always stumbled upon problems related to Rockbox (it doesn't, or didn't, like SSDs). Decided to go back to stock OS.

So the last time I opened up the iPod I broke off the battery connector seconds before completion. It had been soldered back on before, and this time it ripped off the connector bits on the board. I had a 5G board lying around, decided to use that instead and filed the bottom corners so it'd fit in the 6G front. Then I ordered a clickwheel so I could create a 5G/6G hybrid wheel. A regular 5G wheel would 'sink' in the case.

Now, in the present, I just put that top on a 5G connector and superglued the black bit on there. Then I put everything back together: the 6G (actually 7.5G) front and frame, the thick backplate with 2000mAh battery, the 5G board and 5G screen, the Tarkan adapter with an SSD in it, and the clickwheel.

The problem is that the clickwheel still has a little 'edge', especially at the top where it's about a mm deep. Strangely enough, it seems to be fine at the bottom. How could this be? There's no difference between the 5G and 6G black plastic bit is there?

Sep 27, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #6,483 of 10,664
Also if you guys have any other tips before I close this thing down for good, this would be the time. I'm still wondering if I should put something between the SSD and the battery. Would cardboard be a dangerous choice?

Sep 27, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #6,487 of 10,664
May be able to sand it down?

Sep 28, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #6,488 of 10,664
  You can use 6th gen clickwheel on 5th generation logic board without problem...

The info was a bit vague on that so I thought I'd go for the safe route.

You would just have live with it, re-do the clickwheel hybrid process, or get another clickwheel. The Video clickwheels work a lot better and more responsive than the Classic ones.

But a Video clickwheel will definitely sink in a 6G front. At least, I think I tested it out. And read about it here. You think the clickwheel itself is the problem? It's still a small mystery to me. I'm kind of hoping the wheel will come up by itself like somewhat has before.

Oct 1, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #6,489 of 10,664
Hello everybody,

I am so extremely frustrated......
After having received the  brand new  mSata from Amazon, the problems just don't stop.
Again AOMEI can't format the mSata due to bad sectors.
No matter if connected to the laptop via USB or directly to the Sata port.

On top, one of my ipods is charging the battery forever (since 2 days already) and still not full?!?
How can that happen?

I am getting really angry over all this.
Please help me.

Greets,
JULIA

Oct 1, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #6,490 of 10,664
  Hello everybody,

I am so extremely frustrated......
After having received the  brand new  mSata from Amazon, the problems just don't stop.
Again AOMEI can't format the mSata due to bad sectors.
No matter if connected to the laptop via USB or directly to the Sata port.

On top, one of my ipods is charging the battery forever (since 2 days already) and still not full?!?
How can that happen?

I am getting really angry over all this.
Please help me.

Greets,
JULIA

Try to format in another computer.
Abou the battery your flex ribon might be broken or the connector is broken.

Oct 1, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #6,491 of 10,664
check battery ribbon cable is inserted correct, easiest is to remove and replace making sure its seated in logic board connector as it should be. 
As far as the msata problems you are having, i realise you have spent out but sometimes its best to take a hit admit defeat and move on.
Get Tarkans new dual SD iFlash and a couple of high Gb sdxc cards (received mine today, cheers Tarkan) and take it easy

Oct 1, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #6,492 of 10,664
 Get Tarkans new dual SD iFlash and a couple of high Gb sdxc cards (received mine today, cheers Tarkan) and take it easy

Wow that was pretty quick that you received it already, are in the UK? 

Julia, did you install the drive and let iTunes format it first? Why are u using AOMEI to try and format a new drive? Did you get a red x?

Oct 1, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #6,493 of 10,664

Julia, did you install the drive and let iTunes format it first? Why are u using AOMEI to try and format a new drive? Did you get a red x?

Dear rgarjr,

I put the mSata into Tarkans adapter, connected the adapter to ipod  -  without disconnecting battery.  Restored ipod - everything seemed to be fine - but after about 250GB of syncing there was no tone coming out of the ipod......
RED X  came along.  Did the AOMEI thing which at first worked out. Synced music again  6 or so. Everything was working - got confident - but in the end the songs didn't start playing.
Used AOMEI thing again and saw the mSata had 3 partitions.

From that time on - no matter if I used  mSata to Sata adatper with USB or directly with Sata connection to laptop or  using the  CD/DVD 15 pin/7 pin connectors on desktop PC just trouble.
Couldn't recreate MBR - not formattable to FAT32 or NTFS due to bad sectors.

How can I find out, if the ribbon might be broken or the connector (that seems to be not loose this time - but I could be wrong)?

I am really frustrated.
I already asked Tarkan as well - he is assuming there might be something wrong with my  mSata to sata setup.
I have no clue at all.

Greets,
JULIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back