Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Oct 31, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #4,051 of 10,664
Nice! Thanks for posting!

Here is the main take away.

Equipment list:
7.5g iPod
750mAh Thick Battery (originally 850mAh but it is several years old)
iFlash-Sata
iFlash Bundle

Storage options :
160Gb HDD OEM (Toshiba MK1634GAL)
256Gb SDXC PNY
500Gb mSata Samsung 840EVO
1Tb mSata Samsung 840EVO

He should add my results:

256GB CF + 2000 mAH, with RB playing flac/wav only, and abused with lots of folder browsing and forced album switching, powered on/off a few times a day.

Verdict: 56 hrs

biggrin.gif

Honestly, continuous playing hrs doesn't tell the whole story. Generally, powering on/off, folder browsing and forced album switching really drain the battery. We know the msata's suck more than other medias from doing these things. Understand this is individual dependent. 

Oct 31, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #4,052 of 10,664
Brought the Teradiymod to the office today. As you guys know, my 1TB has been loaded with 924 GB's with only less than 1% spare space left. This morning it froze quite a few times. Good thing is a reboot gets it back to play again, and that Miliamp deserves credits.

I can't figure out why it freezes more often sometimes, without any predictable pattern. Hope to hear from my fellow head-fi'ers who have the fully-loaded Terapods about this issue.

Oct 31, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #4,053 of 10,664
  I finally decided to build a SSD equipped 7.5th gen Ipod classic (MC297LL) and I got the iFlash-Sata and a BP4e 512GB SSD. I plugged the drive into my motherboard's mSata port and initialized the disk in Windows and then formatted it using a fat32 formatting tool. I then plug it into the iFlash and I get the red X. I tried going into DFU mode and restoring it, but all it does is say preparing to restore and then it reboots to the red X again. I even put the HDD back in and it immediately detected that it needed to restore and completed that successfully, so I know the ipod is fine and so is the hdd ribbon cable. The cable is the one I'm also using with the iFlash. Am I doing something wrong?

If you are not aware, Beyondwind has released a RB patch for msata for the classic's.

Oct 31, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #4,054 of 10,664

If you are not aware, Beyondwind has released a RB patch for msata for the classic's.

I am aware of Beyondwind's patch to run RB on classics, but I have a 7.5th gen and should be able to run Apple OF, right? I can't run RB since I use the Ipod primarily in the car connected to either my Pioneer HU or Dice adapter and neither are supported by RB. I'm pretty sure others have already used this configuration before in this thread, but I'm just wondering if there is a step I'm missing.

Oct 31, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #4,056 of 10,664
  Forget about my issue, it turns out I had the ribbon cable backwards on the iFlash adapter. All is well now.

Good to know. So with the Tarkan adapter and a msata drive, you don't need any firmware patch if you stick to the Apple's iOS?

Let us know how everything goes ..... the stability and battery performance. I may throw a 512GB msata into one of my 7g's. 

Oct 31, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #4,057 of 10,664

Good to know. So with the Tarkan adapter and a msata drive, you don't need any firmware patch if you stick to the Apple's iOS?

Let us know how everything goes ..... the stability and battery performance. I may throw a 512GB msata into one of my 7g's. 

Correct, install Tarkan's adapter and msata drive (correct orientation, LOL) and restore using Itunes as usual. This only works on 7.5g classics (160GB thin) since they have LBA48. The patch still applies to 6, 6.5 and 7g (120GB) classics since they are only LBA28 aware. RB will of course remove that limitation.

Oct 31, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #4,058 of 10,664
I won't be able to tell you much about battery life since the ipod lives in the car and is always plugged in and charged (hence the reason I won't be using RB). I'm using the stock Apple battery and not even a new one. I'm really not concerned about battery life with this one. I do know there is one other person in this thread that is using the BP4e 512GB drive on I think a 5.5g and said it is the most power efficient and coolest during syncing, so I would expect it to be a good one for this purpose. Also, it was $40 cheaper than the Samsung 500GB drive, so I'm happy ($209 on Amazon.com).

Oct 31, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #4,059 of 10,664
Yes, the BP4's are very power efficient. Not sure about the BP4e 512GB, but with the BP4 256GB it feels like CF mod to me.

My best bang for the buck mod is for the Teradiymod.

Samsung 1TB (NIB): $365
msata adapter:  $1  (yes, no kidding)
stock 5g with sad face:  $20 
diymod parts:  $5
Miliamp: $19

Total cost: $410

Cost per GB:    $410/930GB = 44 cents per GB

LOL

Oct 31, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #4,061 of 10,664

I used a 7 year old stock battery to load/write the files to the Gen. 5.5 iPod, no more than 30GB at a time with a few minutes rest in between each load.

I was impressed enough to leave that battery in for a while, and then at only half drained according to the icon, the iPod suddenly shut itself off while playing music.

This is due to a phenomenon called internal resistance build-up in older/aged batteries. Under load, they suddenly collapse, unable to deliver the necessary voltage. The BP4e went into a soft reboot loop I couldn't break.

Then good news is the BP4e did not require anything other than a connection to iTunes (wall charger did not work in breaking the soft reboot loop). No actual Restore was necessary, all the files were there and playable.

The moral of the story is an old battery will be unpredictable with a power hungry mSATA, and you are well advised to replace it with the 2000mAh battery for maximum satisfaction. The OP's car charging scenario is of course quite different, I would suggest never leaving the iPod in the car to avoid subjecting it to extreme heat or extreme cold, either of which could cause the failure of the battery.

Were you running RB or Apple's iOS? So I guess a connection to the iTunes is to unlock the drive. That's interesting. I am wondering what if I run RB.

Oct 31, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #4,063 of 10,664
For all my 5g's and 5.5g's, right after restores in iTunes I turned on "Enable disk use" and said bye to iTunes for good immediately followed by RB installations. So I am not sure how that connection to iTunes will work to unlock the drive if I run RB.

Oct 31, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #4,064 of 10,664
Hey guys. I started a document compiling a lot of the info in this thread. Actually a lot of dr's info.

What I need is people to go into the document, and add some of their information or help organize some of the information. This document will replace he original post of this thread. I will do a lot of formatting for the final product so Freeze (OP) can simply copy and paste it.

If you add information, be sure to leave your Screen name so that I can include you in the credits.

Here is a link to the document. Have at it. I intend to make this the greatest thread on Head-Fi, but that's a team effort. Thanks again for including your information. Everything is valuable. Please contribute, or help to organize the information in the thread in a logical order.

Thanks,
Dan

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByNAGHN2uGzBRU9zMnBaR2VoNG8/edit?usp=docslist_api

Nov 1, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #4,065 of 10,664
  The moral of the story is an old battery will be unpredictable with a power hungry mSATA, and you are well advised to replace it with the 2000mAh battery for maximum satisfaction. The OP's car charging scenario is of course quite different, I would suggest never leaving the iPod in the car to avoid subjecting it to extreme heat or extreme cold, either of which could cause the failure of the battery.

Hey MikeyFresh,

Regarding having the iPod in the car, I've been keeping my iPods in both my cars in the glove box for several years now and not had any issues with it at all with getting too hot. In direct sunlight on the other hand, my dad's got a burn in the screen, but that's it. His was mounted in the center console. When I've used my 160GB 6.5g ipod on the airplane and such, I've never had unusually low battery life or anything. I can't say exactly how much battery life I get because it's not playing 100% of the time and I didn't use all of the charge. I don't think the battery is affected that much, of course I live in Charlotte, NC and we don't have that extreme of weather. I can't say that everyone else would have the same results.

Also, just so everyone knows, I loaded up 250GB of songs on my BP4e 512GB SSD using Itunes tonight in one go on a stock battery without "needing" to stop the sync and let it recharge. I say "needing" because I did stop it just to check the battery level every so often, but then restarted the sync right after. After it was finished, I still had more than half the battery charge and it wasn't completely full to begin with. This SSD is pretty awesome and only got slightly warm. Assuming I don't have any stability issues during playback, I would say I would highly recommend this drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back