Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Nov 1, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #4,082 of 10,664

Interesting, the OP's link you originally quoted looks like the exact same/identical generic adapter, but his product description clearly said " Support: up to 128GB".

And therein lies the problem with some of these generic parts and eBay listings, they are often innaccruate.

Even the higher-end Digigear branded adapter was, as of last summer, incompatible with 256GB SDXC. Not sure if they have since revised their firmware, or how a buyer would even know if they were getting brand new stock with revised firmware, or older stock with incompatible firmware.

Tarkan's SDXC adapter will work with the PNY 256GB SDXC, I have one in a Gen. 5.5 with about 213GB written to it so far, and no problems.

I can't imagine the problem you are having is due to some other issue, but it's a possibility I guess.

One of the obvious ways is to swop the adapter out for the tarkan and see what happen's.  If all goes well, then that's the root of the problem/

(stating the obvious, since forever really :p).

Nov 1, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #4,083 of 10,664
I have one more question, my write speed from computer to iPod (5.5th gen 80GB) is so slow (USB 1.0 instead of 2.0), with HDD or SDXC is the same, iPod works ok after transfer of music, I tried different USB ports, different computers but speed is very slow... Im using CopyTrans Manager :frowning2:

Nov 1, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #4,085 of 10,664
The ribbon connecting the drive to the motherboard might be faulty causing the slow transfer speedI

I think this answers my question too. Ive been having issues with songs larger than 2116k skipping. I first used a Ebay adaptor then switched to the Tarkan. I think the ribbon got damaged.

Nov 1, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #4,088 of 10,664
If it's not the ribbon, and it's not the computer, then it's probably the motherboard. Unfortunately, iPod Video boards tend to have a much higher failure rate than the Classic boards. I've seen all kinds of weird symptoms exhibited by Video boards that I've never seen in the Classic: audio static from the jack AND dock, pressing play but songs are frozen, ability to sync through USB but only firewire will charge (and vice-versa), fast draining battery but battery is new, etc.

Nov 1, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #4,090 of 10,664
  If it's not the ribbon, and it's not the computer, then it's probably the motherboard. Unfortunately, iPod Video boards tend to have a much higher failure rate than the Classic boards. I've seen all kinds of weird symptoms exhibited by Video boards that I've never seen in the Classic: audio static from the jack AND dock, pressing play but songs are frozen, ability to sync through USB but only firewire will charge (and vice-versa), fast draining battery but battery is new, etc.

Actually my experience is the opposite of yours concerning these ipod videos. I have more than a dozen of ipod video's in my possessions, not including those I have killed. LOL. None of them died of natural cause in my hands or hardly gives me any trouble, not even the HDD's (but I got rid all of them). If there is anything I think design could be improved, that is the ribbon cable for the drive. The cable is very sensitive, and sometimes just fussy. So you need to stock a few of these cables just in case when it gets fussy. 

Well, I only use RB with these ipod videos. So I am not sure if that has avoided some of the issues. I feel like these old ipods were built like tank, except the plastic case. But you can switch to an aluminum case for an ipod video.

Nov 1, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #4,091 of 10,664
  HI guys, first off all sorry for asking so many questions but i can't seem to find the answers for my questions on this HUGE topic. So lets start

I have a white 5.5G ipod 80gb. The battery is fine as the backplate and frontplate. However the jack seems to be giving its last breath because when i press a little harder on the right side of the ipod i get no sound from the left ear piece. I bought this from a local classified so i can't be sure every piece is original except the backplate which has the correct serial number engraved. 

So, since i want to change the headphone jack and i don't like the thickness on the ipod i will be changing to a thin one therefore i need a new hdd or cf or ssd or msata.
I will be using original apple firmware and i prefer battery life over size. 

I know the advantages of solid state memory over hdd but i read somewhere that if i use solid state memory (like a msata ssd) if i run out of battery i need to remove the sad and redo it all over again. Is that true? I don't want to have that kind of trouble. The cheapest option is the HDD and i saw this one MK1634GAL (160gb thin hdd from the 7gen). will this hdd work without any problem on my 5.5G? What should be a good master with low power consumption? I saw this one MyDigitalSSD 120GB 50mm BP4 Eco mSATA SSD SATA 6G - MDMS-BP4e-128

As far as adapters i guess im all set on tarkan's ones. 

Finally, where can i get the best covers backplate and faceplate? The closest ones to the originals? And if there is a chance to convert my 5.5G to a 7G externally is that possible? I need a mid frame from a 7g. But the click wheel is different right? 

Thank you guys in advance

Since you  prefer battery life over size, and if you only need 128GB then a CF may be a better option. CF is the most power efficient of all the mods. If you think in the future you will exceed the 128GB, then go with a BP4 256GB msata. The BP4 is the most power efficient among all the msata's from mine and other forum members' experience. 

Yes if you want to use a 7g case for ipod video, you need the 6g/7g middle frame too. You will still have to use the ipod video's click wheel. 

Nov 2, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #4,092 of 10,664

Since you  prefer battery life over size, and if you only need 128GB then a CF may be a better option. CF is the most power efficient of all the mods. If you think in the future you will exceed the 128GB, then go with a BP4 256GB msata. The BP4 is the most power efficient among all the msata's from mine and other forum members' experience. 

Yes if you want to use a 7g case for ipod video, you need the 6g/7g middle frame too. You will still have to use the ipod video's click wheel. 

I have a question concerning the power consumption of these msata drives. 
DMinor says the BP4 is of the most power efficient drives. Here it says that this drive uses 0,9W for reading and writing. The Crucial M550 msata uses only 0,15W according to the same site. I have seen a lot of people enthusiastic about the M500 here. Can I hope that the M550 is not only faster (which we don't care about) but also more energy efficient? Or is the drive in itself less efficient due to inefficient drivers for example? I am also not completely sure that the M550 is a 3,3V drive. I tried looking for datasheets but didn't find it (yet, I'll keep looking and update the post in case I find something)

Nov 2, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #4,094 of 10,664
Ok thank you for the info, if I plan on buying a 2000mAh battery with it I guess it won't matter that much anymore? I'm wondering however if I need an msata to sata adapter to connect the drive to my pc or is it enough to put the drive in my iPod and connect it that way?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back