Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Nov 1, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #4,066 of 10,664
Dan, thanks for the effort. I'll see if there is anything not covered which I can contribute.

One quick comment, please link to Beyondwind's web site for the firmware patches (both ipod video and classic) and other mod info.

Also Mushkin mSATA's won't work, as I tested one and Beyondwind tested two. 

Nov 1, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #4,069 of 10,664
HI guys, first off all sorry for asking so many questions but i can't seem to find the answers for my questions on this HUGE topic. So lets start

I have a white 5.5G ipod 80gb. The battery is fine as the backplate and frontplate. However the jack seems to be giving its last breath because when i press a little harder on the right side of the ipod i get no sound from the left ear piece. I bought this from a local classified so i can't be sure every piece is original except the backplate which has the correct serial number engraved. 

So, since i want to change the headphone jack and i don't like the thickness on the ipod i will be changing to a thin one therefore i need a new hdd or cf or ssd or msata.
I will be using original apple firmware and i prefer battery life over size.

I know the advantages of solid state memory over hdd but i read somewhere that if i use solid state memory (like a msata ssd) if i run out of battery i need to remove the sad and redo it all over again. Is that true? I don't want to have that kind of trouble. The cheapest option is the HDD and i saw this one MK1634GAL (160gb thin hdd from the 7gen). will this hdd work without any problem on my 5.5G? What should be a good master with low power consumption? I saw this one MyDigitalSSD 120GB 50mm BP4 Eco mSATA SSD SATA 6G - MDMS-BP4e-128

As far as adapters i guess im all set on tarkan's ones. 

Finally, where can i get the best covers backplate and faceplate? The closest ones to the originals? And if there is a chance to convert my 5.5G to a 7G externally is that possible? I need a mid frame from a 7g. But the click wheel is different right? 

Thank you guys in advance

Nov 1, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #4,070 of 10,664
Dan, thanks for the effort. I'll see if there is anything not covered which I can contribute.

One quick comment, please link to Beyondwind's web site for the firmware patches (both ipod video and classic) and other mod info.

Also Mushkin mSATA's won't work, as I tested one and Beyondwind tested two. 

Are you able to edit the document? You should be able to I think. But I will add that why I get a chance. :thumbup:

-Sent from my Galaxy S4-

Nov 1, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #4,072 of 10,664

It will not fit, the CF-SD adapter (which allows the use of SDXC cards) is too thick and eats up the room you need for the battery.

The 2000mAh battery fits with iFlash + CF cards, and the iFlash + mSATA cards, but not SDXC due to that requiring an additional adapter.

"The iFlash with CF card will fit, the iFlash SD Bundle maybe tight - you might have to remove the rubber bumpers off the iFlash to make it fit.

regards, Tarkan"

Nov 1, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #4,073 of 10,664
  I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to put together a 128GB mod and what I've found on Amazon so far:

Digigear SD SDHC SDXC to CF tpye II CF Ultimate CF Adapter (at least one review said they put used this in iPods and Amazon recommends it with the generic card)

What I'm guessing is the "generic card" by Micro SATA Cables

PNY Elite Performance 128GB High Speed SDXC Class 10

I might think about Tarkan but I think this will work out okay right? Im trying to keep it cheap and keep it to Amazon :)

I tried with this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171265715466?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Newest-SDHC-SD-MMC-SDHC-SDXC-To-Compact-Flash-CF-Card-Type-II-Adapter-Vogue-/161350338975?pt=US_Memory_Card_Readers_Adapters&hash=item25913ac99f
PNY 256GB

Everything is Ok until reach 128GB of music on SDXC, after that iPod is unstable, I dont know where is problem...

Nov 1, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #4,078 of 10,664
I bought from this seller:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390718287066?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Description:

Interface: CF Type II 
Size: 4.3cm x 3.6cm x 0.5cm 
Weight: 12g

All of our items are Brand New 
Supports SDXC/SDHC/SD all capacities 
SD 3.0 compatible: accepts Class 10 or UHS-1 cards 
Accepts most WiFi SD on the market 
High-Speed CF interface with extreme performance 
Supports CF true IDE mode/memory mode/ IO mode 
Equipped with push-push SD socket 
Supports Windows/Mac OS/Link  

Nov 1, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #4,079 of 10,664
*sigh* second 2000mAh battery I ordered went MIA in delivery. Usps shows it being delivered on Oct 20th. I got nada. This 2000mAh battery is just not meant to be with me. :/

-Sent from my Galaxy S4-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back