Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 26, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #3,556 of 10,664
Hi, people. Newcomer here.

I have this odd idea of getting a classy iPod 5.5G instead of the new iPhone 6 with 128 GB of storage. However, there are some things I need to know before making the cut. And one of them regards Bluetooth.

Certainly I want to install an SSD in some refurbished iPod Video, but also I'd like to put a BT module in it. Does anyone here have some experience on that?

I've found some very old guides online, but it looks like using an 80 GB iPod (or at least that thick case) is mandatory. I was wondering, with all the time that has passed, are there now some smaller BT modules? Also, is it still necessary to apply some soldering – or an updated guide to install a BT module nowadays would be easier?

Any enlightenment will be appreciated!

Sep 27, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #3,557 of 10,664
If you don't mind external you can get bt modules that go in the dock connector.  No idea if Rockbox would work or not if you need it though.

Sep 27, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #3,560 of 10,664
There is some SQ loss via BT streaming, also I found that the volume is not loud enough for my taste.

Yeah, I know it doesn't compare to wired headphones (obviously), but still I find it convenient in certain situations.

Anyway. Are you aware of smaller BT modules, or would I still need to get a fat iPod? Would the installment process still be the same?

Sep 27, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #3,561 of 10,664

Yeah, I know it doesn't compare to wired headphones (obviously), but still I find it convenient in certain situations.

Anyway. Are you aware of smaller BT modules, or would I still need to get a fat iPod? Would the installment process still be the same?

The only thing you can do is disassemble one of those micro BT USB adapters and wire it to your ipod soldering to power it, but I have never messed with something like that before so I can't give you specifics on where to solder to power and get audio out of the iPod board.

Sep 28, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #3,562 of 10,664
Hi again.

Sorry to ask – I'm sure this must be already responded somewhere in the past 200+ pages – but would the following project work?

I plan to get a brand-new, sealed 30 GB iPod 5.5G (BTW, how much would you pay for one of these?). Then I plan to replace its original hard disk for a 120 GB SSD, hopefully in the simplest and less expensive way.

So far these are the components that I've found:

Crucial m500 mSATA 120:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQ8RHMO/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ZIF to mSATA adapter:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009BA5JU6/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The mod would be under the $100 range, but I'm not sure if those are the right components. Perhaps I can get something less pricey? On the other hand, I've read that I could use a slim iPod following this path with no much problem, but there are some heat issues (though noticeable, those wouldn't be a deal-breaker, according to some guy in MacRumors who already did this).

Finally, I've read that the process is not that complex, though an mSata to Sata adaptor and external case are required, in order to format the SSD before putting it inside the iPod. Is that really necessary?

Any additional comment on this project in general will be appreciated!

Sep 28, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #3,563 of 10,664
Hi again.

Sorry to ask – I'm sure this must be already responded somewhere in the past 200+ pages – but would the following project work?

I plan to get a brand-new, sealed 30 GB iPod 5.5G (BTW, how much would you pay for one of these?). Then I plan to replace its original hard disk for a 120 GB SSD, hopefully in the simplest and less expensive way.

So far these are the components that I've found:

Crucial m500 mSATA 120:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQ8RHMO/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ZIF to mSATA adapter:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009BA5JU6/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The mod would be under the $100 range, but I'm not sure if those are the right components. Perhaps I can get something less pricey? On the other hand, I've read that I could use a slim iPod following this path with no much problem, but there are some heat issues (though noticeable, those wouldn't be a deal-breaker, according to some guy in MacRumors who already did this).

Finally, I've read that the process is not that complex, though an mSata to Sata adaptor and external case are required, in order to format the SSD before putting it inside the iPod. Is that really necessary?

Any additional comment on this project in general will be appreciated!

I would suggest the Tarkan CF-SD adapter bundle at $33, and a PNY SDXC 128GB card currently about $63 on Amazon, but I've seen it as low as $59.

Just my 2 cents, but I feel the Tarkan adapters are better quality than others, and the SDXC card will yield much better battery life than mSATA will, with no heating issues or need for complicated formating steps outside of the Pod.

The above is just about the same cost, I would also not recommend trying your very hardest to do this for the very least amount of money possible. The cost differences are negligible, don't sweat a few bucks.

Again, just my 2 cents, and I'm not calling other options or methods "wrong", but for your budget and intended application, you can't go wrong with an SDXC and the Tarkan bundle, thats an easy project to complete.

Sep 28, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #3,564 of 10,664
Partially off topic question. Does anybody know much about the audio line out over the 30 pin adapter ? I assume it is converted to analog by the ipod. The reason I am asking is that I would like to know if the 30 pin input to my car stereo can somehow be used to input sound from sources other than the ipod. Such as a high res audio device with a 3.5 mm line out. If so I guess I would need a female 3.5 mm to the female side of the apple 30 pin. Open to ideas or thoughts.

Sep 29, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #3,565 of 10,664
I would suggest the Tarkan CF-SD adapter bundle at $33, and a PNY SDXC 128GB card currently about $63 on Amazon, but I've seen it as low as $59.

Just my 2 cents, but I feel the Tarkan adapters are better quality than others, and the SDXC card will yield much better battery life than mSATA will, with no heating issues or need for complicated formating steps outside of the Pod.

The above is just about the same cost, I would also not recommend trying your very hardest to do this for the very least amount of money possible. The cost differences are negligible, don't sweat a few bucks.

Again, just my 2 cents, and I'm not calling other options or methods "wrong", but for your budget and intended application, you can't go wrong with an SDXC and the Tarkan bundle, thats an easy project to complete.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. If that makes my project easier to accomplish, it avoids any heating issues and gives me more battery life, I'm in.

Just to be sure though, are there downsides, risks or performance issues that I should be aware of, before creating the incredibly high expectations that I already have right now? :)

By the way, I visited Tarkan's website (http://www.tarkan.info/store) and I found the “SD-CF Adapter - Designed for the iFlash & iPod (NEW v6)” for only $18. Could I use that adapter instead of the one that you mentioned? What are the differences?

On a side note, how much battery life can you get with with this mod from a 30 GB iPod 5.5G, using an official and brand-new battery?

And one last question. What's the market price of a brand-new, sealed iPod 5.5G? Because I found one and it really feels like finding a treasure, but its price is obviously higher than what it costed when it was officially supported and sold by Apple.

Cheers.

Sep 29, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #3,566 of 10,664
Thanks a lot for your suggestion. If that makes my project easier to accomplish, it avoids any heating issues and gives me more battery life, I'm in.

Just to be sure though, are there downsides, risks or performance issues that I should be aware of, before creating the incredibly high expectations that I already have right now?
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way, I visited Tarkan's website (http://www.tarkan.info/store) and I found the “SD-CF Adapter - Designed for the iFlash & iPod (NEW v6)” for only $18. Could I use that adapter instead of the one that you mentioned? What are the differences?

On a side note, how much battery life can you get with with this mod from a 30 GB iPod 5.5G, using an official and brand-new battery?

And one last question. What's the market price of a brand-new, sealed iPod 5.5G? Because I found one and it really feels like finding a treasure, but its price is obviously higher than what it costed when it was officially supported and sold by Apple.

Cheers.

I don't see any downsides, the only risk is if you are too hasty with the take apart and rebuild, the ribbon cables are on the fragile side of things, care needs to be taken in removing them and then re-seating them. Also pay attention to going easy on the battery cable clasp, and the HDD cable's locking mechanism, if you break them you need a new logic board.

No you can't only get the $18 SD-CF adapter, that's only half of what is needed to replace the stock HDD. The bundle I recommended includes both the SD-CF adapter, and the actual iFlash ZIF-CF adapter that takes the place of the stock HDD.

The SD-CF adapter then seats into the ZIF-CF board so that you can use an SDXC card instead of a CF card (CF cards are more expensive for the same capacity).

Watch the installation video and it will make sense to you what these parts are needed for.

Specific battery life is not a question anyone can answer for you. It varies depending on how bright you make the screen (dimmer = more battery life), how often you illuminate the screen (as opposed to just putting on an album and listening to it while letting the screen stay dimmed), file type playing (ALAC is a larger file than MP3 and thus uses more battery to process) etc...

Research the market price of a brand new sealed 5.5 Video 30Gb, I have no idea what they are going for.

I'd also add I have trouble believing there are any of those left being it is a 7+ year old model, and any Lithium ion battery sitting for 8 years with no periodic charging will have seriously compromised life and stamina left, they weren't made/intended to sit in a retail package for 8 years with no booster charges.

Lastly, don't buy a crappy off brand SDXC card, it will likely cause you grief. The PNY is an excellent choice, but you can see a list of other known to work cards on Tarkan's web site. You get what you pay for, an off branded suspect looking card is exactly that, and not worth the $5 savings or whatever it might be.

Sep 29, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #3,567 of 10,664
I don't see any downsides, the only risk is if you are too hasty with the take apart and rebuild, the ribbon cables are on the fragile side of things, care needs to be taken in removing them and then re-seating them. Also pay attention to going easy on the battery cable clasp, and the HDD cable's locking mechanism, if you break them you need a new logic board.

No you can't only get the $18 SD-CF adapter, that's only half of what is needed to replace the stock HDD. The bundle I recommended includes both the SD-CF adapter, and the actual iFlash ZIF-CF adapter that takes the place of the stock HDD.

The SD-CF adapter then seats into the ZIF-CF board so that you can use an SDXC card instead of a CF card (CF cards are more expensive for the same capacity).

Watch the installation video and it will make sense to you what these parts are needed for.

Specific battery life is not a question anyone can answer for you. It varies depending on how bright you make the screen (dimmer = more battery life), how often you illuminate the screen (as opposed to just putting on an album and listening to it while letting the screen stay dimmed), file type playing (ALAC is a larger file than MP3 and thus uses more battery to process) etc...

Research the market price of a brand new sealed 5.5 Video 30Gb, I have no idea what they are going for.

I'd also add I have trouble believing there are any of those left being it is a 7+ year old model, and any Lithium ion battery sitting for 8 years with no periodic charging will have seriously compromised life and stamina left, they weren't made/intended to sit in a retail package for 8 years with no booster charges.

Lastly, don't buy a crappy off brand SDXC card, it will likely cause you grief. The PNY is an excellent choice, but you can see a list of other known to work cards on Tarkan's web site. You get what you pay for, an off branded suspect looking card is exactly that, and not worth the $5 savings or whatever it might be.

Thanks a lot. Everything is crystal clear now, though I don't know what's the installation video that you are referring to.

On the brand-new, sealed iPod... Yeah, those are practically impossible to see, but I found three units for $400 each. Not sure if it's worth it though. (I'd pay it, but I don't want to be ripped-off neither.)

Sep 29, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #3,570 of 10,664
If you're gonna pay $400 for a new 5.5Gen, why not just pay $400 for a 7th gen 160GB Thin?

Wolfson?

On the other hand, in terms of design and UI, I find the 5th gen iPods to be superior to the latest Classics. I absolutely love that classy white plastic design – and IMHO the aluminum used in the latest models fall WAY behind when it comes to look. It might be something about nostalgia too.

But I agree, maybe $400 is too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back