Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 30, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #3,586 of 10,664

Did you use the AOMEI to find out the bad sector? I was trying to check the drive for bad sectors but AOMEI seems unable to load the partitions. Anyway, I am loading the drive for the 3rd time. The drive was loaded more than 500Gb's twice before it failed to load more. 

If it fails again this time, I will try to load the drive via motherboard for a 5g as Dr. tested.

AOMEI wasn't able to read the partition of the bad card when  I was having the issues.

Sep 30, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #3,588 of 10,664
Yea, I got an email from Tarken saying my pre ordered msata adaptor was shipped a few days ago.

Sep 30, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #3,589 of 10,664
Well good news, it looks like Tarken has shipped out the pre ordered iflash msata adaptors. I ordered mine last week and got notice that it was shipped. Also my 1TB msata has shipped as has my msata/sata adapter.

@Dminor, I really think that the USB/Firewire Y cable will help with your transfers. It greatly helped mine. I was able to load 90GB+ in just one single operation. Granted that was to an SDXC card, but cmarti got one as well and it helped out greatly with his file transfers as well. I believe it's because there's constant and steady power supplied to the iPod since it's pluged into the wall outlet as well as the USB port. Hope it helps solve your issues.

What's the main benefit of using the Tarkan adapter vs the generic "green" adapter for mSATA? Is it more power efficient? I am assuming you still need to apply Beyondwind's patch for the RB users.

On the 1TB drive, I just noticed that RB shows 892GB available while Windows explorer shows 807GB available (which is correct). 1st time I notice this. Yeah I hope that cable will help to load this 1TB drive full.

AOMEI wasn't able to read the partition of the bad card when  I was having the issues.

Interesting. I am able to use the AOMEI to format the drive via motherboard, and checked for sector errors and found none. But once the drive is restored inside ipod, AOMEI won't read partitions. 

Sep 30, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #3,590 of 10,664
According to Tarken

On September 3rd, 2014, Tarkan said:
iFlash-sata uses slightly less power, but more importantly has much better jitter and error rate then the cheaper boards – this translates in to less time retrying due to errors etc.

But the overriding factor in battery life is the mSata drive itself – so my board will not be a massive improvement to the time you get now.

Link to Tarkens Comment: http://www.tarkan.info/20140508/tutorials/modding/first-look-iflash-sata#comment-1983455

So to me it just seems better quality. I'll take Tarkens word for it as I'm no expert, and know nothing about putting this type of board together. I was also willing to pay the $40 because to me it helps continue support and development of this expensive hobby :D :p

Oct 1, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #3,591 of 10,664
I recently bought a broken iPod from ebay. Red X and the hard drive sounded a complete mess so I've turned it into a project.

Installed a Crucial msata 240gb and bought new front and back etc.

Fitted it all together and the msata wasn't reading in diagnostic mode, so I replaced the drive ribbon.

Now it's recognised but I'm still greeted by the red X and can't get any further. iTunes did start to restore it at one point but it just stopped.

Any ideas? 
blink.gif

Oct 1, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #3,592 of 10,664
Which generation ipod is it?  If it's 7th then it won't recognise the ssd unless you use tarkans adapter.

Oct 1, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #3,595 of 10,664
Partially off topic question. Does anybody know much about the audio line out over the 30 pin adapter ? I assume it is converted to analog by the ipod. The reason I am asking is that I would like to know if the 30 pin input to my car stereo can somehow be used to input sound from sources other than the ipod. Such as a high res audio device with a 3.5 mm line out. If so I guess I would need a female 3.5 mm to the female side of the apple 30 pin. Open to ideas or thoughts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-iPod-Dock-30pin-Female-to-3-5mm-Audio-Aux-Input-Male-Adapter-Converter-FLY-/400779143101

Oct 1, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #3,600 of 10,664

Is it because of the heat that mSATA drive stops copying files and becomes inaccessible? I am specifically talking about transferring files thru USB.

I can not speak for the particular setup, I installed crucial drive with thermal gel, have no problem in copying my entire music library in one shot, about 200gb  The crucial drive have been  engineered with thermal monitoring so at high temperature it will throttling down on transfer, heat should be less an issue.

The inaccessible issue must be related to data corruption from power instability during data transfer, the keywords "power loss data protection"  should give you a good answer by googling.

The only drive I recommend is crucial, it have end-to-end data protection with onboard capacitor pool in the time of power disruption.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back