Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 21, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #3,526 of 10,664
Man I just can't make up my mind. Trying to decide between 1TB msata, or 256GB CF card. The 256GB CF would be amazing if I could get the 2000mAh battery in with it.

But man 1TB is just awesome.

But I only have 90GB of music...

I need to go to the Library band start riping everything to ALAC. I'm guessing ALAC would work with Rockbox?

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #3,527 of 10,664

I know enough about the DIYmod to know I won't attempt it. It looks more involved than I'm currently willing to commit to.

I do have a variable temperature soldering iron and competent soldering skills for wires and connectors, even through-hole circuit board stuff, but not tiny SMD work on a logic board the size of an iPod's. Maybe if I had a dead logic board that I could practice on, knowing it can't be harmed any further than it already is.

The DIYmod can take many different forms, I would likely only ever attempt the basic jumper wire and high quality capacitors coupled to the dock pins, as thats very likely the extent of my capabilities.

The fun from modding these ipod videos is incomplete without diymod. The diymod may seem intimidating at first but with some practice it isn't that bad. Just be careful to not lift the soldering pads off the board. 

Man I just can't make up my mind. Trying to decide between 1TB msata, or 256GB CF card. The 256GB CF would be amazing if I could get the 2000mAh battery in with it.

But man 1TB is just awesome.

But I only have 90GB of music...

I need to go to the Library band start riping everything to ALAC. I'm guessing ALAC would work with Rockbox?

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

A 1TB ipod is simply irresistible, even for just 90GB of music.
wink_face.gif

On your question, yes RB supports ALAC.

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #3,528 of 10,664
  A 1TB ipod is simply irresistible, even for just 90GB of music.
wink_face.gif

On your question, yes RB supports ALAC.

Thanks man, yea, that's what I'm thinking too.  But the simplicity/battery performance of CF card is also very appealing.  But as far as msata, Samsung 1TB 840 EVO is the preferred version correct?  1TB iMod/DIYmod is just about end game :D  Until you can get something like AK240.  Even then, not nearly as much storage space :p

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #3,529 of 10,664
When you copy big chunks of files to the ipod modded with msata thru USB, I suggest you put the ipod on the cover of a metal box filled with ice cubes to help lowering the heat. I got a sad face (due to overheat) when I was trying to fill the 1TB drive with big loads, but now the ice box really helps to keep it cool.

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #3,530 of 10,664
  Thanks man, yea, that's what I'm thinking too.  But the simplicity/battery performance of CF card is also very appealing.  But as far as msata, Samsung 1TB 840 EVO is the preferred version correct?  1TB iMod/DIYmod is just about end game :D  Until you can get something like AK240.  Even then, not nearly as much storage space :p

[size=12.7272720336914px]AFAIK, t[/size]he Samsung 1TB 840 EVO is the only option for that size. Just be prepared to format it thru your computer's motherboard in case you get a sad face. Formatting thru USB won't work. @dr408517 found this out and I also confirm this.

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #3,531 of 10,664
Ok, I only have a laptop with no msata port.  So it looks like I may be out of luck on the 1TB.  Now iOS won't work with 1TB correct?

EDIT:  Actually I could probably make due with this mSata>Sata adaptor.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186184&cm_re=msata_adapter-_-12-186-184-_-Product

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #3,533 of 10,664
Would this http://www.amazon.com/Micro-SATA-Inch-Adapter-Cable/dp/B0037JACXG/ref=pd_bxgy_pc_img_z work? I want to use iTunes. I don't want to use RB...Can I use the Tarkan mSATA adapter and 1TB EVO and still be stock software?

Sep 21, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #3,534 of 10,664
  Would this http://www.amazon.com/Micro-SATA-Inch-Adapter-Cable/dp/B0037JACXG/ref=pd_bxgy_pc_img_z work? I want to use iTunes. I don't want to use RB...Can I use the Tarkan mSATA adapter and 1TB EVO and still be stock software?

I have tried using that cable multiple times to format the Samsung 1TB via USB on Win 7 & 8, and it did not work. All I got was sad face. But a format thru the motherboard did the trick, thanks to @dr408517 for his tip.

EDit: whether you use the Tarkan mSATA adapter or the generic "green" adapter, you still have to format it for a restore if you get a sad face. Now that said, you most likely don't need to format it if you get a brand new Samsung 1TB never used (at manufacturer's setting).

Sep 22, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #3,536 of 10,664

I have tried using that cable multiple times to format the Samsung 1TB via USB on Win 7 & 8, and it did not work. All I got was sad face. But a format thru the motherboard did the trick, thanks to @dr408517 for his tip.

EDit: whether you use the Tarkan mSATA adapter or the generic "green" adapter, you still have to format it for a restore if you get a sad face. Now that said, you most likely don't need to format it if you get a brand new Samsung 1TB never used (at manufacturer's setting).

Oh, you don't need to format a brand new SSD? Guess I just bought an adapter for funzies then.

I'm also a bit confused about whether I need Beyondwind's Rockbox or not. Would I need it when using a 500 GB EVO?

Sep 22, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #3,537 of 10,664

Oh, you don't need to format a brand new SSD? Guess I just bought an adapter for funzies then.

I'm also a bit confused about whether I need Beyondwind's Rockbox or not. Would I need it when using a 500 GB EVO?

When I initially restored the ipod with the 1TB, the drive was recognized without formatting. 

If you don't plan to use RB, then you don't need to install RB or Beyondwind's RB patch. Otherwise, you will need to install RB and then the RB patch, regardless of the size or brand of the mSATA drive.

Sep 23, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #3,538 of 10,664

When I initially restored the ipod with the 1TB, the drive was recognized without formatting. 

If you don't plan to use RB, then you don't need to install RB or Beyondwind's RB patch. Otherwise, you will need to install RB and then the RB patch, regardless of the size or brand of the mSATA drive.

Thanks for clearing that up. It is a bit strange though: Tarkan's HowTo doesn't mention Beyondwind's patch, but his method supposedly works with mSata. And Beyondwind's site doesn't mention anything about patching.

In any case, I hope I'll be able to mod my Pod at all. It died a year ago and I always assumed it was the HDD that broke down. Let's hope it is just that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back