Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 15, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #3,497 of 10,664
thanks guys for your feedbacks. After I read that I decided to go for the crucial. But I felt like, hmm, going from 240gb to 480gb is "just" double the space I have right now. So I read the thread again, from page 180 to 233. Was amazing interesting as well as loooooooooong. What about a central WIKIPEDIA? Think would be really very helpfull for everyone.

After reading all this pages, yeah.......i defenetly NEED to go for the TeraPod, hehe. I didn't remember Dminor and dr408517 were so sucessfully building TeraPods.

@dr408517 
do you already have some findings from comparing the 5.0 and 5.5 logic board for the TeraPod (concerning your post 3476)

guys, you all in here are amazing, reeeeally amazing!!!
What comes next, after everyone is going to build and enjoy a TeraPod in few months? A monster 3-4gb iPod for the car, with an external 2.5' HD and external 12v power supply? I would be the first to use that, hehe. Tarkan mentioned anyhow something like that....external sata-hd with the iPod which could go up to 2-3 Gb and more....

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #3,498 of 10,664
  I tried it but didn't work because I formatted it via USB, my PC does not have a mSATA port.

Crucial: CT480M500SSD3
Samsung: MZMTE512HMHP 

Are you saying the 500 GB EVO is a no-go? After lurking this thread for ages, and discovering that Tarkan's mSATA adapter was on pre-order, I decided to go and buy all the parts I need. Which included said EVO.

Also, the 2000 mAh (Alex's) battery everyone's talking about, would that be this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000mA-Battery-Back-Cover-Upgrade-kits-replacement-for-iPod-Classic-160GB-thin-/191194956202

I wanted to thank everybody in the thread for getting me on the modding track and providing such a treasure of info. I do agree with SirMarcolino though: a wiki, or an updated front post, would save a lot of time.

One last question, I've seen mention of a Beyondwind Rockbox. What makes it different from the regular Rockbox, exactly?

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #3,499 of 10,664
  Are you saying the 500 GB EVO is a no-go? After lurking this thread for ages, and discovering that Tarkan's mSATA adapter was on pre-order, I decided to go and buy all the parts I need. Which included said EVO.

Also, the 2000 mAh (Alex's) battery everyone's talking about, would that be this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000mA-Battery-Back-Cover-Upgrade-kits-replacement-for-iPod-Classic-160GB-thin-/191194956202

I wanted to thank everybody in the thread for getting me on the modding track and providing such a treasure of info. I do agree with SirMarcoline though: a wiki, or an updated front post, would save a lot of time.

One last question, I've seen mention of a Beyondwind Rockbox. What makes it different from the regular Rockbox, exactly?

Not saying that the 500gb card will not work but I wasn't able to make it work. Other users were able to use the 1TB card so there shouldn't be a reason why you can't use the 500gb. I think the issue is when you format the card via USB instead of in a motherboard slot.

The photo in the eBay listing you posted is the old stock photo, the new batteries now have printed the voltage and capacity on them.  And seriously they work marvelous.

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #3,500 of 10,664
@Cmarti, I just finally sent Cheung an email to order a battery. :D Going to see what I can do to get it into my 5.5 with CF>SD. Hopefully I can somehow find a way to get it in there.

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #3,501 of 10,664
@Cmarti, I just finally sent Cheung an email to order a battery.
biggrin.gif
Going to see what I can do to get it into my 5.5 with CF>SD. Hopefully I can somehow find a way to get it in there.

May the force be with you. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #3,502 of 10,664
:p lol so I've heard, or rather read lol

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #3,503 of 10,664
Finally got everything done for my portable rig and it's gorgeous and eargasmic :D

5.5G Red Wine Audio iMod - (CFAdaptor> 128GB SD Card) Rockbox
Mundorf Silver LOD
Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII (OPA627)
Westone W40 (DIY plusSound Audio Silver Litz cable)
Totally Capless Setup

This IEM cable is gorgeous and the picture doesn't do it justice.  Last pic is in the ALO Black Star amp wallet.  Thats how I carry my rig when I'm out of the house.

Sep 19, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #3,505 of 10,664
I haven't ordered the battery yet. I'm going to try to fit it in though. That's maybe the last mod I will do on my portable rig. Also maybe upgrading the battery in the amp....*sigh*...it never ends :p

Sep 19, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #3,506 of 10,664
Sorry for not keeping up with the thread, but what battery life are people getting with the msata's now?

Sep 19, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #3,507 of 10,664
OK, I have successfully modded one of the two 80g ipod 5.5g units.  Used Tarkans CFto SD adaptor (just wanted to be firmware safe) and the PNY 256gb adaptor.   Sure I could have saved a few bucks ordering similar items from Amazon, but he struck me as the safe bet and provides a nice service to us all.

Managed to put both the hard drive and battery in backwards (in terms of connectors), but figured that out.  Then discovered that the Fiio FAT 32 format utility would not do the trick, so used AOMEI as recommended by all.  Took a few tries to get that working with itunes.  Discovered with the itunes restore that one has to be VERY patient.

Rockbox install was smooth.

I did upgrade the old battery while I was inside the machine.  Originally I was going to replace the front faceplate, but everything else took a bit longer than expected so that part of the project is delayed.

I may throw a mSATA drive into the other unit at some point.  But the next step is to change out the faceplate on the unit that just had surgery.  Another opportunity to break things.

Update:  boy now I understand all the comments about how hard it is to copy files to these modded units.  Error city.

Sep 20, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #3,508 of 10,664
Man, now that I think I got my iMod done, I'm thinking about a 1TB msata drive. What's the battery life with 1TB and 2000mAh battery?

With a CF card, is 128GB still the limit? I'm guessing 128GB is the limit for anything other then mSata, and Beyondwind patch?

Grrrr as much as I want a 1TB drive, I only have 90 GB of music :p I gotta get a HDD and start begging... Lol

Man all this work and money, I could have just bought an AK240 and custom IEMs. Lol

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

Sep 20, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #3,510 of 10,664
I am wondering if I need the BeyondWind rockbox patch for the SD install.  I had thought that was only for mSATA, but issues are showing up.

I did the format alignment with the utility, so that is not the issue.

For some reason my Rockbox does not dual boot well in this particular configuration.  The unit was purchased from ebay, and it is possible that it has problems. The click wheel is certainly funky, and possibly Rockbox is not recognizing that the power - hold switch is set to force a boot into the old itunes interface.

Is there another way to force a reboot?

Also, Rockbox seemed to be preventing file copying.  I just did a fresh reinstall with itunes, but left out Rockbox.  I created a folder for Flac files, and files seem to be copying just fine that way.

I figure I can put Rockbox in later.

I also tried copying files directly to the SD card after formatting it with itunes and installing Rockbox, but could not get Windows to recognize the card.

Any thoughts or suggestions here?

My backup plan is to try the new Tarkan adapter and SD card in the other ipod, but would prefer to get everything working in the current machine.  So I am open to suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back