Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 14, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #1,609 of 10,664
Just thought I would give a helpful update!

For the past year or more, I have been unable to use my 5G iPod Video with a 256GB Super Talent SSD. I felt slightly robbed as I got it in a trade from a fellow member and ever since I got it, it never seemed to work. No matter what I tried, it NEVER worked, not even with the stock apple firmware.

Yesterday I found the iPod in a box and decided to give it a go.

I found this thread:
http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,42523.15.html

I installed that patch build and BAM! I now have working 256GB SSD iPod with iMOD.
biggrin.gif

I still have 104GB free and it's full of FLAC and hi-res FLAC and it's been working flawlessly. I've turned it off, recharged it, added more music and so far....no complaints. :)

Sep 15, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #1,610 of 10,664
I still have 104GB free and it's full of FLAC and hi-res FLAC and it's been working flawlessly.

What do you mean by hi-res FLAC, 24/44? 24/96?
Only ask as the could of times I accidentally put 24/96 FLAC on my Rockboxed iPod v5.5 (original HDD), I get stuttered playback half a second music, half a second pause...).

Sep 15, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #1,611 of 10,664
  What do you mean by hi-res FLAC, 24/44? 24/96?
Only ask as the could of times I accidentally put 24/96 FLAC on my Rockboxed iPod v5.5 (original HDD), I get stuttered playback half a second music, half a second pause...).

Not sure about Apple's original firmware, but rockbox will still plays the 24/96 but will down sample it to 16/44 I believe.

Sep 16, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #1,613 of 10,664

Not sure about Apple's original firmware, but rockbox will still plays the 24/96 but will down sample it to 16/44 I believe.

Rockbox does play 24/96 files but will downsample to 44kHz (and presumably 16bit too).  I mentioned the downsampling elsewhere on head-fi and got a confirming post back from saratoga, who is likely the same saratoga on rockbox.org and a developer.  

For the geeky, older builds used linear interpolation, but newer ones use hermite polynomials.  In either case, there is a little rolloff in frequency response at the highest frequencies when doing sample rate conversion, and the rolloff is much less for 96kHz files than for 48kHz ones.  

Sep 16, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #1,614 of 10,664
@ LFF,

Is your 256GB SSD mSATA or ZIF? If mSATA, did you see a special adapter there that is different than what was sent to Torne?

Somehow the 256GB mSATA iPod that Torne worked on did not run very well (owner DMinor gave up on it), IIRC.

It's my understanding Rockbox won't work on any mSATA's regardless of drive size, despite the efforts by Torne to resolve the issue. Yes I have given up on the mSATA option as I can't live my music without using the RB. Also from my brief try on a 256GB mSATA, the power consumption seems to be a concern. It could get hot.

Rockbox does play 24/96 files but will downsample to 44kHz (and presumably 16bit too).  I mentioned the downsampling elsewhere on head-fi and got a confirming post back from saratoga, who is likely the same saratoga on rockbox.org and a developer.  

For the geeky, older builds used linear interpolation, but newer ones use hermite polynomials.  In either case, there is a little rolloff in frequency response at the highest frequencies when doing sample rate conversion, and the rolloff is much less for 96kHz files than for 48kHz ones.  

Thanks for the info. So far I am all good with the 16/44.

Sep 16, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #1,615 of 10,664
Just so if anyone's interested, this seems like a cool mod:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/171123668572

I don't know too much about iPod modding, besides changing the housing, and replacing the hard drive or the LCD, to be honest. I'm sure you can do something to the 3.5mm jack port, or the amp chipset on it as well, but that kind of modding takes too much work don't it? Swapping the hard drive should be very easy with the right tools!

Sep 16, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #1,616 of 10,664
  Just so if anyone's interested, this seems like a cool mod:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/171123668572

I don't know too much about iPod modding, besides changing the housing, and replacing the hard drive or the LCD, to be honest. I'm sure you can do something to the 3.5mm jack port, or the amp chipset on it as well, but that kind of modding takes too much work don't it? Swapping the hard drive should be very easy with the right tools!

I have one look like that but sounds much better than the stock.

Sep 16, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #1,618 of 10,664
  That looks very good! Could you tell me what's the difference over the improvement of sound? What did you do with it?

It was modded to bypass the internal amp by wiring directly from the dac to the LOD output pins. The main improvement is a cleaner sound with more clarity and better separation for instrument.

For more info about the DIYmod: http://www.head-fi.org/t/269604/the-apple-diymod-my-take-on-the-famous-imod-56k-killer-featuring-3g-4g-5g-and-nano-1g

Sep 16, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #1,619 of 10,664
  It was modded to bypass the internal amp by wiring directly from the dac to the LOD output pins. The main improvement is a cleaner sound with more clarity and better separation for instrument.

For more info about the DIYmod: http://www.head-fi.org/t/269604/the-apple-diymod-my-take-on-the-famous-imod-56k-killer-featuring-3g-4g-5g-and-nano-1g

Thank you for the detailed follow up very much! What an eye-opener! I'll look into it.

Sep 18, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #1,620 of 10,664
Has anyone ever had problems with the ipod repeatedly telling you to restore it? Then when you link it up to your computer it does not read? Running a CF mod here. It worked fine until about a week ago when I opened it up to switch the capacitors( did an DIYmod too). I got it working just now but now its gone off again and is showing the sadface logo. Is this a ribbon cable problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back