Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 1, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #1,578 of 10,664
Quote:
Nice work!

Thanks. I think I am running out of options for modding the ipod video's. Any suggestions?
wink_face.gif

BTW, why the hell is the 256GB SDXC so much more expensive than the 128GB SDXC? It must be tough to double the GB's in that small space.

Sep 1, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #1,579 of 10,664
Thanks. I think I am running out of options for modding the ipod video's. Any suggestions? :wink_face:

BTW, why the hell is the 256GB SDXC so much more expensive than the 128GB SDXC? It must be tough to double the GB's in that small space.

Hard to make any suggestions, with your collection it looks like you've exhausted all possibilities. :wink:

The price goes with the fact that they are new to the market and the costs getting pretty high in making them like you mentionned. A year or two from now that might be different.

Sep 1, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #1,580 of 10,664
Quote:
Hard to make any suggestions, with your collection it looks like you've exhausted all possibilities.
wink.gif

The price goes with the fact that they are new to the market and the costs getting pretty high in making them like you mentionned. A year or two from now that might be different.

When I get bored, I may just improve the mods by remoding. :)  Man I have collected tons of caps during the course of finding winners.

For the latest mod I have used those 1F caps by Taiyo, and they seem taking over the previous winner. I had some nasty dc leaking initially but last time I checked it came down below 100 mV at input to amp.

Those coins are still untested. At some point I will give it a try.

Sep 2, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #1,581 of 10,664
Quote:
What I'd like to know is that now I've got rockbox installed is it possible to remove the sdxc card from the ipopd and copy the files directly to the folder via my card reader (it's xc compatible)? I just think this may make it a simpler process (less links in the chain).

I think the only problem you have doing this is that Windows only likes to have one partition on memory cards - I could definitely access the data part of the CF I used in a rockboxed my mini after it died using Linux. 

Probably too late for you this time but if you put something important on there and your ipod dies all is not lost
smile.gif

Sep 3, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #1,582 of 10,664
Quote:
Thanks. I think I am running out of options for modding the ipod video's. Any suggestions?
wink_face.gif

Seems a common problem with most storage. Go beyond a certain point and it more than doubles in price (MyBook Lives over 3TB go stupid expensive too). I'm guessing they think that anyone that needs extreme storage spaces can afford to pay extra. Look at the Lexar Professional CF ultrafast cards!

Nice mods on your pod too. I need to look in to those Kemet Caps.

Sep 3, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #1,583 of 10,664
I'm extremely happy with my ipod after the SD card and battery upgrade. And I couldnt believe how easy it was to do. Thank goodness for the Tarkan adapter. 

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #1,584 of 10,664

Nice mods on your pod too. I need to look in to those Kemet Caps.

Thanks. The Kemet is definitely a winner and you can also try other caps. Just keep in mind caps need burn-in time and don't draw conclusion too soon.

I'm extremely happy with my ipod after the SD card and battery upgrade. And I couldnt believe how easy it was to do. Thank goodness for the Tarkan adapter. 

Congrats. You can't go wrong with that mod.

Sep 4, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #1,586 of 10,664
  Hello:

I have try to replace my IPV 5th Gen 60G to a 128G SSD. It only can work with rockbox only. For itunes, it can't recognize. Is any method that it can work with itunes?

Thanks!

Just boot to apple original firmware (turn on the Hold switch immediately after turning the player on). Now connect the ipod to your computer and the iTunes should recognize it.

Sep 4, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #1,588 of 10,664
  It can boot to original Apple firmware but my PC iTunes can't recognize it. Even windows only should a drive but it can't recognize. Unless I boot up rockbox firmware. >_<

Any suggestion?

One more thing to try if you have access to a Mac:  Try plugging it into a Mac running iTunes and see if iTunes on the Mac can recognize it.  If so, you can do an iPod restore on the Mac (which reformats the hard drive away from Windows FAT32 I believe), and then take it back to the Windows PC where iTunes should recognize it as "formatted for the Mac" and ask you if you want to reformat for Windows.

I've done this once with my iPod Mini that got into hiccups because of something strange on the Windows side.  Doing this format cycle fixed things. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back