Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Aug 27, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #1,561 of 10,664
I read an article once about battery quality for the 5th gen and it mentionned two main locations where you could get quality batteries however the price is not going to be cheap, the famous saying you get what you pay for.

Here are the two locations :http://www.ipodbatterydepot.com/index.asp?engine=google&ad=broadmatch2&adid=googlebroad3&gclid=CImpH1_69nbkCFa87MgodC3EATA

And

http://www.milliamp.com/battery-5th-generation-ipod-video.html

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #1,562 of 10,664
Quote:
Hi Head-fiers,

I've built a ssd Ipod 5g with a mSSD Crucial M4 128gb and an adapter (so no rockbox) and it works fine.
Alors, I've previously built the same Ipod with a mSSD Crucial M4 256gb but that doesn't work (already told in this thread) so do not recommend you to do this.

I do know that the pretended "900mAh" battery I bought is **** and so I would like to ask if you do know where can I find a good battery for a fair price ?

That's weird, my everyday iPod video has the 256gb Crucial installed and it works just great.

Anyways, this is the best battery available.

Aug 27, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #1,563 of 10,664
Quote:
The Transcend has been a major target of incompatibility with at least the cf type for the 5g but I thought the sdxc would have escaped the problem. I had no issues with the Patriot LX card so you may want to try that one, like I said I haven't Rockbox the iPod so I can't speak for that. I am going to most likely buy the PNY because of performance however it is not the cheapest but also not the most expensive.

PNY - 128GB SDXC Class 10 Memory Card

This is what I have in my Rockboxed iPod Video 5.5G with the Tarkan board and the newer CF-to-SD adapter.  Works great, but battery life is a little short even though it is a "new" battery.   I think I got bit by a bad battery batch, so I might try the battery suppliers above.

Aug 27, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #1,564 of 10,664
PNY - 128GB SDXC Class 10 Memory Card

This is what I have in my Rockboxed iPod Video 5.5G with the Tarkan board and the newer CF-to-SD adapter.  Works great, but battery life is a little short even though it is a "new" battery.   I think I got bit by a bad battery batch, so I might try the battery suppliers above.

Thanks for the info, will most likely buy one. The battery I purchased was from
The second link, I thought it was a tad expensive but so far it's the one that lasted the most and the charge is pretty good.

Aug 28, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #1,565 of 10,664
At last! After about a year since I realised I could mod my pod I actually got it all fired up yesterday night.
Used the Tarken adapter bundle with a Komputerbay 128GB SDXC Class 10 (from Amazon for £58). Had to format it to fat32 (instead of the default exFat) and change the drive letter before my PC and iTunes could see it but the restore went fine and, more amazingly, the Rockbox install went perfectly. The drive ended up giving 119GB of actual space which is always a bit of bummer but now I've got the job of filling that puppy up.

In retrospect this has to be the best solution cost-wise and also for flexibility since I can use SD and CF cards depending on price and memory size.

Many thanks for all the help and the case histories this thread has provided!

Aug 28, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #1,566 of 10,664
At last! After about a year since I realised I could mod my pod I actually got it all fired up yesterday night.
Used the Tarken adapter bundle with a Komputerbay 128GB SDXC Class 10 (from Amazon for £58). Had to format it to fat32 (instead of the default exFat) and change the drive letter before my PC and iTunes could see it but the restore went fine and, more amazingly, the Rockbox install went perfectly. The drive ended up giving 119GB of actual space which is always a bit of bummer but now I've got the job of filling that puppy up.

In retrospect this has to be the best solution cost-wise and also for flexibility since I can use SD and CF cards depending on price and memory size.

Many thanks for all the help and the case histories this thread has provided!

Congrats and welcome to the mod family! :wink:

Aug 29, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #1,567 of 10,664
Ha ha. Maybe I spoke a bit too soon? I'm having some trouble getting the files copied across. I set up a batch copy (around 65gb) initially using teracopy but inevitably the process hangs at points meaning I can't just leave it to run. I've also tried using Windows own copy process, switching between Rockbox and iPod disk mode.

It has copied a considerable amount already but, as I said, it'll hang on some files meaning I have to abort and  reselect everything again. 

What I'd like to know is that now I've got rockbox installed is it possible to remove the sdxc card from the ipopd and copy the files directly to the folder via my card reader (it's xc compatible)? I just think this may make it a simpler process (less links in the chain).

I think that I may give FreeFileSync a go since it seems a bit more rugged than Teracopy. Teracopy has been ok for simple copying tasks but copying a few thousand flac files seems to blow it's mind. FreeFileSync is open source whereas Teracopy is just one guy (as far as I'm aware). Anyhoo I'll give *** a go and report back.

Other than that, tied with either my iBasso T3 or CMoy, I'm just so pleased to have the massive bump in audio quality over the Galaxy Note (and it's ****ty Samsung coded Yamaha dac) and the iPod is so light with the HDD out. It feels wrong somehow :-/

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #1,568 of 10,664
Ok guys thanks for your answer.

For the 256gb Ipod I guess I did something wrong but the same Ipod with the same hardware worked fine only with the 128gb version. But it's ok because the 256gb mSSD is now in my laptop and I took the 128go from it. I think that 128gb is enough. Also, how long does your Ipod can run on a full charge cmarti?

Who use which amp here? I got a SMSL 4S but I am building the LOD so I haven't got the time to use it.

Aug 29, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #1,570 of 10,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What I'd like to know is that now I've got rockbox installed is it possible to remove the sdxc card from the ipopd and copy the files directly to the folder via my card reader (it's xc compatible)? I just think this may make it a simpler process (less links in the chain).

I don't think so.  The FAT32 file format of the card is changed by the iPod initialization process.  I tried looking at one of my CF cards that was in a Rockboxed iPod using my computer's CF card reader later, but it would not recognize it. 

Aug 29, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #1,571 of 10,664
I don't think so.  The FAT32 file format of the card is changed by the iPod initialization process.  I tried looking at one of my CF cards that was in a Rockboxed iPod using my computer's CF card reader later, but it would not recognize it. 

Yep it's been my experience as well. Once initialized it's not accessible other than being mounted as a drive in windows.

Aug 30, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #1,572 of 10,664
Quote:

Yup, you're right. I'm having a really difficult time transferring my collection to the ipod. I'm trying to get 110GBs of files moved across from my MyBookLive (direct ethernet to the PC). I've tried (am trying) TeraCopy FastFileSync and the basic windows copy function. If I try to bulk copy with Tera or *** it'll copy some stuff then run into an error that stalls the process (meaning I can't just leave it to run over night). I think it has something to do with the dates of the files changing when moved from an NTFS to a FAT32 directory. For some reason though I can get chunks copied over but the copy speed will fluctuate from around 5MB/s down  to 60KB/s. It's all very annoying.

I've tried my USB 3.0 and 2.0 connections (no real difference between the two really), I've re-partitioned the card and reformatted and restored the ipod, reinstalled Rockbox, blah, blah, blah.

I'll get there in the end (probably over the course of a couple of days!) but I remember it was much simpler when the iPod had it's old HDD in. I wonder if it's more to do with the SDXC format? Doesn't it convert files when adding them to one of these types of cards?

Has anyone else run into this kind of issue using the CF/SD mod?

Cheers.

EDIT: After reading some of Tarkan's feedback on his comments, it seems that it's a Rockbox issue. The latest version has changed the way it handles the USB connection:

"
I have had a chance to play with rockbox today. Last working version I found is v3.6, the problem seems to be the Rockbox USB handler has got issues with SDXC cards (probably due to timing).
v3.6 and before on Rockbox when you plugged in the usb, it would drop down to the native iPod diskmode handler which used the iPod device driver on the computer, to do the file transfers.
From v3.7 Rockbox is using it’s own USB handler/code and appearing to the computer as a portable device (on windows it uses Windows Portable Devices driver) – and Rockbox is handling the actually file transfer between the computer and the iPod drive."
So I switched to the normal iPod disk mode and things seem to be going ok right now (consistent transfer speeds - no hang ups)...yay!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back