Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Aug 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #1,546 of 10,664
Quote:
After my hdd bit the dust nearly a year ago and reading this thread for months, panicking about what the best solution for a flash memory mod to my 5.5 would be, I've finally gone for the Tarkan bundle so I can use SDXC (and CF if it ever becomes a cheaper option). The SSD route seemed too wrought with possible problems (plus the prices are ping-ponging all over the place).

Anyhoo, this leads me to a question I hope someone can definitively answer for me; namely, once the Tarken board is installed will it allow me to use a thinner 30gb rear plate (or the 30gb iVue). I seem to recall someone stating that the jack(?) didn't line up very well? I'd be really grateful for any advice. After waiting this long (and using my Galaxy Note as my main player) I'm itching to get my 5.5 back on it's feet.

Many thanks.

The answer to this is yes, I have done it many times. If your iPod is a 30Gb unit when it was first created, then transition is going to be very smooth. Just pop the Tarkan board with the cf to sdxc converter which you initially loaded with the sdxc card, connect your back plate as usual with the jack and battery connectors, close the lid and voila you are done. The reason why the tarkan works is because it mounts the sdxc card at the top when your iPod is facing the table, the other one I tried mounts at the bottom of the cf adapter and steals a good 2 mm of space.

If you had an 80 gb iPod initially, then it becomes a little bit tricky, although DMinor did mention that it works, I have always substituted the 80 gb jack with a 30 Gb one when installing a thin back plate, call it esthetic; I just like a well finished product. :wink:

Hope that answers your questions.

P.S.: Don't forget to install the iPod firmware and test the jack and line out dock before closing the back plate, else you'll have to open it up again and you might risk to scratch it if it was refurbished.

Aug 18, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #1,547 of 10,664
Hi, it's me again. Finally I was lucky enough to get 5th gen. iPod 30GB for what I believe is a fair price 40€ for the iPod + 12€ P&P costs. 
atsmile.gif

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #1,549 of 10,664
You guys are using mSATA SSDs for these mods right? Did you see these deals that popped up today? LINK

1.8" mSATA SSD 240GB $160, 120GB $90, 60GB $50, 30GB $35 myDigitalDiscount/Amazon
smile.gif

MyDigitalSSD BP4 50mm mSATA SSD
SATA III/6G | 560 MB/s Read | 520 MB/s Write
· 30GB $34.99 [amazon.com]
· 60GB $49.99 [amazon.com]
· 120GB $89.99 [amazon.com]
· 240GB $159.99 [amazon.com]
· all are Prime/FSSS eligible.

Aug 21, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #1,550 of 10,664
mSATA's can not be rockboxed so that's a deal breaker to me. Also they probably drain battery fast. As far as the cost, I recently bought a used 128GB SDXC from Amazon for $43. With a tarkan bundle, the total cost is $76 for a 128GB ssd. Plus, it's rockboxable.

Aug 21, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #1,551 of 10,664
Anyone gone down the Tarkan iFlash route using 128gb SDXC cards? I've heard the Kingston can be a bit problematic in terms of write speeds and Rockbox problems (a partition problem?).

I did note that someone had mentioned they had tried the Komputerbay 128gb UHS-I card and had no problems. This is the cheapest 128gb card available to me right now so I'm keen to hear from anyone using it.

Many thanks.

Aug 21, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #1,552 of 10,664
I did try both, had no problems with Kingston but random ones with Komputerbay, mind you I did not Rockbox with any, I'll leave it to other Rockbox users. I also tried the Patriot LX series and the card performed flawlessly. There are other cards like the PNY, most of them in the 100$ range. Once in a while you get specials on those card for around 79$.

Aug 22, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #1,553 of 10,664
I am having trouble copying files to my 128GB SDXC. It simply hangs while copying files. I had no trouble restoring it and rockboxing it, and in fact right after rockbox and before 1st eject I copied a big chunk of files to the card without problem. But after that 1st eject, that's when I started having trouble copying files.

Any ideas? This is my first sdxc card but I had no such issue with all the CF's I have.

Aug 22, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #1,554 of 10,664
I am having trouble copying files to my 128GB SDXC. It simply hangs while copying files. I had no trouble restoring it and rockboxing it, and in fact right after rockbox and before 1st eject I copied a big chunk of files to the card without problem. But after that 1st eject, that's when I started having trouble copying files.

Any ideas? This is my first sdxc card but I had no such issue with all the CF's I have.

Sorry to hear that. With sdxc cards you have the extra sdxc to cf conversion thrown in. I know for a fact that some of those adaptors have issues and do not work well with iPod mods. Tarkan offers an adaptor at release.3 that works with the faster sdxc cards and most likely make them more compatible. I would do a series of things, for example re-ejecting the card one more time and try again. Re-initializing the card with full format to make sure no bad sectors exist (that will take a very long time for a 128 gb card). Try not to get into the ejecting game too much meaning once you moved the firmware, leave it at that. Anyway that's the best I can suggest for someone who has used sdxc cards but no Rockbox.

Btw what sdxc card are you using?

Good luck buddy!

Aug 22, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #1,556 of 10,664
The Transcend has been a major target of incompatibility with at least the cf type for the 5g but I thought the sdxc would have escaped the problem. I had no issues with the Patriot LX card so you may want to try that one, like I said I haven't Rockbox the iPod so I can't speak for that. I am going to most likely buy the PNY because of performance however it is not the cheapest but also not the most expensive.

Aug 22, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #1,558 of 10,664
If you had another sdxc card you could use to test it would be a good way to see if it is Rockbox the culprit with that specific card. I assume that your card works fine with the standard apple firmware, correct?

I am sure you know the principle of elimination to find the root cause.

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #1,559 of 10,664
Quote:
If you had another sdxc card you could use to test it would be a good way to see if it is Rockbox the culprit with that specific card. I assume that your card works fine with the standard apple firmware, correct?

I am sure you know the principle of elimination to find the root cause.

apple firmware? haha no no no. the only reason I have to use iTunes is for restore. Immediately after restore I set the ipod to disk mode and off to rockbox. I will try this sdxc on another ipod and if the same issue persists then I know this card is not for me.

Not that I have to use the sdxc, the CF's are doing great with RB.

Aug 27, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #1,560 of 10,664
Hi Head-fiers,

I've built a ssd Ipod 5g with a mSSD Crucial M4 128gb and an adapter (so no rockbox) and it works fine.
Alors, I've previously built the same Ipod with a mSSD Crucial M4 256gb but that doesn't work (already told in this thread) so do not recommend you to do this.

I do know that the pretended "900mAh" battery I bought is **** and so I would like to ask if you do know where can I find a good battery for a fair price ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back