Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 23, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #1,637 of 10,664
I am in a mood for taking some pics tonight. 
wink_face.gif

Sep 23, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #1,639 of 10,664
Hey guys, what's the best tool to cut the back plate in the boxed area?

Well never done it but did it with something else; you need a pilot hole with a metal based drill bit. After that you cut the metal sheet with metal shears but not sure you'll get clean straight edges after that. Those are molded through heavy duty metal presses.

Sep 23, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #1,640 of 10,664
I would use a dremal.  Start inside and then work your way out to the line so you don't cut to much.  I used a dremal to cut the back plate of my Galaxy S so I could use an extended battery with the stock backplate.  Only thing is to be very careful the dremal doesnt jump and scratch up the nice finish of the back.

Sep 23, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #1,642 of 10,664
Thanks guys for the info on cutting that back plate.

Here is my thinking. I would like to stack/solder two back plates together with the top one cut so multiple high-capacity batteries can be accommodated along with some big caps too if needed. Haha, What you guys think?

With so many batteries, I am looking for at least 100 hrs between charges.

Sep 23, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #1,643 of 10,664
Cool idea.  I would love this too.  I wonder on charging though:  Would having multiple batteries mess up the charging method that the stock software uses?  Would they have to be matched somehow?  How about one big battery instead?  

Another thing to think about is the time to charge.   I'm guessing that a max 8 hour charge time is the limit you would want, so that it charges overnight.  

Sep 23, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #1,644 of 10,664
  Cool idea.  I would love this too.  I wonder on charging though:  Would having multiple batteries mess up the charging method that the stock software uses?  Would they have to be matched somehow?  How about one big battery instead?  

Another thing to think about is the time to charge.   I'm guessing that a max 8 hour charge time is the limit you would want, so that it charges overnight.  

From what I have been reading, all we need are the 3.7V rechargeable Li-Polymer batteries. One mAh-strong big battery can do if the size can be accommodated.

Yeah more mAh's will need more time for charging, just leave it overnight charging as you said.

Sep 23, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #1,645 of 10,664

From what I have been reading, all we need are the 3.7V rechargeable Li-Polymer batteries. One mAh-strong big battery can do if the size can be accommodated.

Yeah more mAh's will need more time for charging, just leave it overnight charging as you said.

You got to make sure the batteries are of same voltage and you can certainly put them in parallel but you have to watch the charger amperage, it might take a while to recharge. Finding one high capacity battery seems to be a better solution else you'll have to find a way to strap them together. If it becomes bulky then I'd say you'll give a new meaning to portable bricks :wink: With that kind of longevity, you could potentially beat the world record lol :D

Sep 23, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #1,646 of 10,664
You got to make sure the batteries are of same voltage and you can certainly put them in parallel but you have to watch the charger amperage, it might take a while to recharge. Finding one high capacity battery seems to be a better solution else you'll have to find a way to strap them together. If it becomes bulky then I'd say you'll give a new meaning to portable bricks
wink.gif
With that kind of longevity, you could potentially beat the world record lol
biggrin.gif

I agree on using one high capacity battery - if I can find one which is mAh-strong enough and fits too. I am looking at min 3000 mAh, single or combined.

Yeah it will be a little bulky but that extra thickness is acceptable (to me) with that 100 hrs battery. That pod will be most likely left at home and needs to be recharged once or twice a year.
wink_face.gif

Sep 23, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #1,647 of 10,664
Actually I may not need to cut the back plate. If I dedicate that added housing just for batteries, all I need is to drill a hole thru the other back plate for the battery ribbon cable.

It's safer and more securer to have this added housing dedicated to the batteries, in my opinion. I will solder the two plates together only after everything is tested OK. The stock battery space can be used for big caps if you diyimod.

What you guys think, hmm?

Sep 23, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #1,648 of 10,664
Actually I may not need to cut the back plate. If I dedicate that added housing just for batteries, all I need is to drill a hole thru the other back plate for the battery ribbon cable.

It's safer and more securer to have this added housing dedicated to the batteries, in my opinion. I will solder the two plates together only after everything is tested OK. The stock battery space can be used for big caps if you diyimod.

What you guys think, hmm?

Sounds like a plan, if anything goes wrong, we'll send you a get well card to the hospital. :D

Seriously, if you end up increasing space, there are some caps that may make the imod sweeter :wink:

Sep 23, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #1,650 of 10,664
Sounds like a plan, if anything goes wrong, we'll send you a get well card to the hospital.
biggrin.gif

Seriously, if you end up increasing space, there are some caps that may make the imod sweeter
wink.gif

I am pretty sure this doable, but before I do this I need to buy a military helmet just in case this thing explodes.
wink_face.gif

There is always the battery setup in the link but i only give 48 hours.

http://www.pdasmart.com/products/IPO5061ipodpartscenter5g.htm

Interesting battery. Not sure how that 40 hrs is benchmarked. But if I do, I will spend less than that for other batteries and have more hrs of battery.

Of course, the good thing with that battery is you don't need to mod the physical size of your ipod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back