Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 18, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #1,621 of 10,664
  Has anyone ever had problems with the ipod repeatedly telling you to restore it? Then when you link it up to your computer it does not read? Running a CF mod here. It worked fine until about a week ago when I opened it up to switch the capacitors( did an DIYmod too). I got it working just now but now its gone off again and is showing the sadface logo. Is this a ribbon cable problem?

This happened to me a few times before and I finally narrowed it down to the ribbon cable (to the CF adapter). So there is a good chance you will be able to resolve the issue with a new (or good) ribbon cable.

Since then, I have stocked a few cables to prepare for moments like this.

Don't worry and I don't think anything serious. Good luck.

Sep 18, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #1,622 of 10,664
Has anyone ever had problems with the ipod repeatedly telling you to restore it? Then when you link it up to your computer it does not read? Running a CF mod here. It worked fine until about a week ago when I opened it up to switch the capacitors( did an DIYmod too). I got it working just now but now its gone off again and is showing the sadface logo. Is this a ribbon cable problem?

Right on advice, same happened to me and fresh ribbon cables is your ticket out of this trouble, that's one of the iPod's video weak link.

This happened to me a few times before and I finally narrowed it down to the ribbon cable (to the CF adapter). So there is a good chance you will be able to resolve the issue with a new (or good) ribbon cable.

Since then, I have stocked a few cables to prepare for moments like this.

Don't worry and I don't think anything serious. Good luck.

Sep 18, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #1,623 of 10,664
Right on advice, same happened to me and fresh ribbon cables is your ticket out of this trouble, that's one of the iPod's video weak link.

I think the only problem we have no answer for is a dead board. In that case, we can always find one dead ipod from eBay. Been there done that, successfully.
wink_face.gif

Sep 19, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #1,628 of 10,664
Sub'ed.

I have an iPod 4th gen and an iPod 5.5G.

Both of them have been updated with a CF adapter, and a CF->SD Adapter, and both running a 128GB SD Card.  Love the mod.  Hated having a mechanical HDD.

Doing a lot of upgrading to my 5.5G in the next few weeks as soon as I can get parts in and ship stuff out.  Problem being deployed (military) is it takes so long to have stuff mailed out here.

Is it possible your CF card came loose?  I had the SD card slip out slightly from my CF card, and I had an issue very similar to this a few weeks back.  Dropped my iPod I think.  Glad I have it in an old Speck ArmorSkin case.  Sadly I can't find another case like that :frowning2:  Still gotta rock the old dirty one. :p

Sep 20, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #1,629 of 10,664
Sub'ed.

I have an iPod 4th gen and an iPod 5.5G.

Both of them have been updated with a CF adapter, and a CF->SD Adapter, and both running a 128GB SD Card.  Love the mod.  Hated having a mechanical HDD.

Doing a lot of upgrading to my 5.5G in the next few weeks as soon as I can get parts in and ship stuff out.  Problem being deployed (military) is it takes so long to have stuff mailed out here.

Is it possible your CF card came loose?  I had the SD card slip out slightly from my CF card, and I had an issue very similar to this a few weeks back.  Dropped my iPod I think.  Glad I have it in an old Speck ArmorSkin case.  Sadly I can't find another case like that :frowning2:  Still gotta rock the old dirty one. :p

You can secure the card with a rubber based door insulating tape you pre-cut to the width of the cf card and attach at the top. This has the effect of compressing the cf card gently so as not to break anything in the iPod and keeps the card from sliding/moving.

For the case, I use the iSkin silicon case I believe is still available on eBay. The silicon case does a wonderful job at dampening the fall. If you want a tough one, the Griffin plastic case is still available, again on eBay.

Welcome to modding the iPod, one of the easiest way to get good sq with minimal fuss. :wink:

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #1,630 of 10,664
Nice!  thanks for the suggestions.  I will be checking out those cases, as well as using the tip for the SD card. +1

Sep 21, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #1,632 of 10,664
Does anyone know how to determine which terminal for positive or negative? I can't find any signs for that. Sorry for the crappy pic.

Well thanks buddy you made me opened a battery now I gotta throw it in the garbage. :frowning2:

Positive is on the left and negative on the right. I could not tap any of the leads like yours because mine were encased in a plastic bar and inaccessible. I did get the multimeter to read from the two battery leads before this plastic pack.

See the photo below.

Don't you have a multimeter? Is the battery dead?

Sep 21, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #1,633 of 10,664
Well thanks buddy you made me opened a battery now I gotta throw it in the garbage.
frown.gif

Positive is on the left and negative on the right. I could not tap any of the leads like yours because mine were encased in a plastic bar and inaccessible. I did get the multimeter to read from the two battery leads before this plastic pack.

See the photo below.

Don't you have a multimeter? Is the battery dead?

haha diy rule #1: never open anything unless you can afford losing it.

Yeah I have a multimeter but how to measure it? Forgive my ignorance.

With that said, I will disconnect (desolder) the battery ribbon cable from the stock battery and try on some mAh-strong 3.7V battery. Still researching and looking for info.

Sep 21, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #1,634 of 10,664
haha diy rule #1: never open anything unless you can afford losing it.

Yeah I have a multimeter but how to measure it? Forgive my ignorance.

With that said, I will disconnect (desolder) the battery ribbon cable from the stock battery and try on some mAh-strong 3.7V battery. Still researching and looking for info.

No worries, there is always a first for everything. You place your multimeter selection to volt DC then place the multimeter probes across the different soldered lead and measure the voltage, if you have the right polarity the display will show a positive number and the red probe is the + and the black probe is -. If you see a negative number, it's the opposite.

You are a true tireless experimenter, I salute you hard working modder :wink:

Sep 21, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #1,635 of 10,664
No worries, there is always a first for everything. You place your multimeter selection to volt DC then place the multimeter probes across the different soldered lead and measure the voltage, if you have the right polarity the display will show a positive number and the red probe is the + and the black probe is -. If you see a negative number, it's the opposite.

You are a true tireless experimenter, I salute you hard working modder
wink.gif

Thanks my friend. haha since I have nothing but the imods, I have no choice but keep finding something to mod. The battery has been in my head for a while and i am confident this can be done with a huge boost, based on my reading so far. The question is whether I can find the space with the Tarkan mod for the new battery. One of the candidates is the iPhone 3G battery, very thin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back