Official ATH-ES7 Thread
Mar 13, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #226 of 542
Ohyeah, good news guys, I returned my broken pair for a new one
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #229 of 542
jonathanjong, why not just get a pair from headphonic? Even though the price increased by 10 aussie dollars, it's still a very good deal compared to what our friends in the US are paying, which is very very rare as we nearly always tend to pay a premium on our gear.

Mar 25, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #230 of 542
Just got some of these yesterday (used). Had to recable them as the cable was broken. I have no idea how much they have been used so I don't know if they are fully burned in or not. I have to say though that they are really nice to listen to. If they improve from here that'll be great. They are not the most hi-fi headphones I own but really, really pleasant to listen to, especially for a portable pair of cans. I find myself just listening to the music and enjoying it rather than thinking about how they sound. I really like these. I like 'em enough to be seriously interested in the esw9. I guess my one desire is if both the es7 and esw9 were less conspicuous. I'd really rather not stand out in a crowd. A word on comfort: I've bent the headband but comfort still leaves something to be desired. I'm going to try to fatten up the cushions.

Mar 27, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #231 of 542
I find that the ES7 benefits significantly from amping (mini^3 in my case). I have seen it mentioned in a few places that these cans don't need an amp. This is true but there is a difference. In contrast, my KSC-75 don't really get much better when amped.

Does anyone know if the ESW9 is considerably more comfortable?

Apr 7, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #232 of 542
Quote:

Originally Posted by Malachor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to know this too. I ordered a pair and have some extra money for a small portable amp.

The ES7 don't need an amp.
However; an amp doesn't hurt them either
beyersmile.png

I have both a Pocket Amp 2 from Gary and a Fireye 1 from Firestone Audio.
Both of the amps add some dynamics to the ES7 (mostly base).

If you buy an amp, make sure you add a decent Interconnect to your budget.
Both original cables sucked
angry_face.gif

I purchased a Tersus IC from Practical Devices on ebay for $19.99
Find Tersus 3.5mm Interconnect Cable for headphone amp on eBay Global Buying, with worldwide deals on items in all your top categories
I'm satisfied with that cable
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #233 of 542
Just got a pair from beachcamera.com. $92 shipped and they were on my doorstep from NY to Michigan in under 48 hrs! Quite impressive. Liking them alot so far. I will be burning them in while at work and overnight etc, can't wait to hear if they improve even more. Great deal indeed.

Apr 10, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #234 of 542
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfaughn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find that the ES7 benefits significantly from amping (mini^3 in my case). I have seen it mentioned in a few places that these cans don't need an amp. This is true but there is a difference. In contrast, my KSC-75 don't really get much better when amped.

Does anyone know if the ESW9 is considerably more comfortable?

I agree; the ES7 doesn't NEED an amp, but you don't get that WOW! and realize how good they sound until you do. Unlike my Senn HD25-1 that I was going WOW! all the time without them being amp'd and the improvement isn't that obvious like it is with the ES7's. Now I only listen to my ES7 at home even though the cord is perfect for portablity/commuting
frown.gif

Apr 10, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #235 of 542
I like most everything about my ES7. Sound is plenty good, cable is nice, etc. I just wish they were a little big bigger so that they fit around the ear completely (maybe I have large ears?) and not ON my ears.

Does anyone have any quick suggestions for alternates? Otherwise I'm off to start searching old threads for ideas..

Apr 13, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #237 of 542
Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-boom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like most everything about my ES7. Sound is plenty good, cable is nice, etc. I just wish they were a little big bigger so that they fit around the ear completely (maybe I have large ears?) and not ON my ears.

Does anyone have any quick suggestions for alternates? Otherwise I'm off to start searching old threads for ideas..

X2 on that. I also wish the cable was a little heavier and didn't curl up like mine does. Not a huge problem, but a little irritating.

Apr 13, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #238 of 542
Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-boom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Get a decent home setup,
AD2000 has the same sonic signature of ES7.

-Buy A Gilmore Lite used and you're set.
-Start producing/creating your own music. This is funner, and the dacs/in professional audio interfaces have good bang-for-your-buck compared to some 'audiophile' alternatives.

EDIT: you can spend twice as much money on any decent studio monitor such as the Mackie HR824 mkII's compared to how much you will spend on the total AD2000 setup. (not including the sub for Mackie's, which is currently discontinued, bringing to an end to this classic line of studio monitors)
Also, add that to the cost of creating an actual studio space so that the monitors are setup properly.

You could even just use the ES7's for producing audio, as this is what I'm currently doing when I'm using the setup at my school.
Mainly, I just like the idea of people making music.

Apr 14, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #239 of 542
Quote:

Originally Posted by xrM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the pad made of the same materials as those on the ATH-FC700? Those get my ears pretty warm.
frown.gif

No, they are a little bit more durable and not so soft but of course you will not get around some heat-up. Compare some pics on the web. You'll see the difference.

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #240 of 542
So when I first joined I was looking into an IEM but I found the ES7 for 89.99 and I am now leaning towards it being my first upgrade from a stock headphone. Is this still a very good headphone? Looks like it has been out for a while. I really like the size of it.

Also anyone used a Fiio E5 with the ES7?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back