Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread
Dec 17, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #6,391 of 6,459
Jan 2, 2024 at 6:47 AM Post #6,392 of 6,459
Hi All,

I m looking to buy norne cable for my susvara. I tested copper and silver cables with my susvara to see what i like. I prefer the silver.

My chain is hugo TT2 (dac) -> gilmore like (preamp) -> auris headonia(amp). The hugoTT2 amp is ok, nothing interesting. The hugo TT2 dac and headonia amp are near reference. The preamp adds the warmth and bass. Now if i add the copper cable to this chain, there is treble harshness and too much warmth and clipping to some extent.Also loss of soundstage and detail. But if i use the silver cable , all the harshness goes away , fantastic mids and good bass. Also the copper takes away some of the soundstage and detail. While silver adds the soundstage and detail.

Hence the preference for the silvergrade s4 with the susvara.

Anyone with norne silvergrade s4 with susvara share their experience?

Jan 6, 2024 at 7:12 AM Post #6,393 of 6,459
I have been using an RCA to XLR adapter by Trevor for my speaker system. It is used to connect the RCA out from Qutest to an XLR I//C into the XLR input of a Jeff Rowland integrated. It uses 15.9 awg fusion design. Fantastic neutral and transparent, enables the I/C perform at its best. Prior to this I had two other ofc copper adaptors w/c were decent but this is a level or two up. I also had Trevor do a pure silver adapter 18.9 awg w/c was also very good but introduced some brightness in the system. Glad I went w/ Norne for this adapter happy w/ no reservations.

Jan 6, 2024 at 7:37 AM Post #6,394 of 6,459
I have been using an RCA to XLR adapter by Trevor for my speaker system. It is used to connect the RCA out from Qutest to an XLR I//C into the XLR input of a Jeff Rowland integrated. It uses 15.9 awg fusion design. Fantastic neutral and transparent, enables the I/C perform at its best. Prior to this I had two other ofc copper adaptors w/c were decent but this is a level or two up. I also had Trevor do a pure silver adapter 18.9 awg w/c was also very good but introduced some brightness in the system. Glad I went w/ Norne for this adapter happy w/ no reservations.
Norne is simply the best in the business

Jan 6, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #6,395 of 6,459
Hi All,

I m looking to buy norne cable for my susvara. I tested copper and silver cables with my susvara to see what i like. I prefer the silver.

My chain is hugo TT2 (dac) -> gilmore like (preamp) -> auris headonia(amp). The hugoTT2 amp is ok, nothing interesting. The hugo TT2 dac and headonia amp are near reference. The preamp adds the warmth and bass. Now if i add the copper cable to this chain, there is treble harshness and too much warmth and clipping to some extent.Also loss of soundstage and detail. But if i use the silver cable , all the harshness goes away , fantastic mids and good bass. Also the copper takes away some of the soundstage and detail. While silver adds the soundstage and detail.

Hence the preference for the silvergrade s4 with the susvara.

Anyone with norne silvergrade s4 with susvara share their experience?
Do you also find that copper reduces treble quantity, but makes the treble quality harsher vs silver, which does the opposite?

Jan 6, 2024 at 8:38 AM Post #6,396 of 6,459
Do you also find that copper reduces treble quantity, but makes the treble quality harsher vs silver, which does the opposite?
copper definitely reduce treble quantity and quality.

Lets say that copper is not the best when it come to treble anything. be it quantity or quality. It really good at bass and lower mids.
Silver is best at higher mids and treble. No harshnes in treble. In fact it sounds fantastic. But the bass is lacking compared to copper bass.
I would still prefer the silver and sacrifice some bass quality.

This is probably because i already have a preamp which is warm and liquid mids. The KG gilmore mk2 lite.

Now if i remove the preamp from the chain with just the dac and the auris headonia(reference amp) with the copper. There is no treble harshness. But sounds very dull and boring.
Again with preamp removed. with silver , everything is neutral. but copper does kill the higher mids and treble quite a bit so some details is lost in that area.

Also copper reduces the soundstage compared to the silver, not by much but it's noticeable.

Jan 6, 2024 at 9:04 AM Post #6,397 of 6,459

Lets say that copper is not the best when it come to treble anything. be it quantity or quality. It really good at bass and lower mids.
Silver is best at higher mids and treble. No harshnes in treble. In fact it sounds fantastic. But the bass is lacking compared to copper bass.

This is probably because i already have a preamp which is warm and liquid mids. The KG gilmore mk2 lite.

Now if i remove the preamp from the chain with just the dac and the auris headonia(reference amp) with the copper. There is no treble harshness. But sounds very dull and boring.
Again with preamp removed. with silver , everything is neutral. but copper does kill the higher mids and treble quite a bit so some details is lost in that area.

Also copper reduces the soundstage compared to the silver, not by much but it's noticeable.
I have a cable from Hart Audio here, compared it against the Drausk V2 lite.

The Hart Audio had a lot smoother uppermids and highs than the Drausk.

Jan 6, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #6,398 of 6,459

It would make sense to me if the silver was allowing more of the frequencies through while the copper attenuated the treble. Fairly certain this is measurable. The lower impedance the speakers/gear headphones the more dramatic the effect of the cable should technically be.

If this is the case then it would mean volume matching the treble in copper to silver levels would increase the lowest levels of bass in copper. The difference should also get increasingly small as impedance of the headphome increases relative to the average of the cables at listening frequencies.

I have heard the difference in cables before clearly. A friend of mine had a 50' copper headphone cable made for fun and it clearly sounded differently than a 5' copper cable. I had my norne vygard and we agreed there was a noticeable difference between the 5', 50' and my 10' norne vygard. We used an ananda stealth for the comparison as well as my susvara. I think in most practical applications the difference in cables is so small we're talking about single percentage points of a dB which would be difficult to reliably blind test (even unplugging the cables would theoretically move the headphones and cause more of a dB change based on head placement than changing the cable). Regardless we heard a clear difference in the cables.

Look at something like Raal SRA1 and the cables make a dramatic difference vs something like susvara.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #6,399 of 6,459
I have a cable from Hart Audio here, compared it against the Drausk V2 lite.

The Hart Audio had a lot smoother uppermids and highs than the Drausk.
I've done these comparisons too and came to similar conclusions. My takeaway is that this has less to do with Norne cables and more to do with the Hart ones. Even compared to my various stock cables, I find the Hart cables a little warm and "rounded." Hart used to be my go-to immediate upgrade, but after doing these comparisons, not so much. Not an effect I like from a cable.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #6,400 of 6,459
I've done these comparisons too and came to similar conclusions. My takeaway is that this has less to do with Norne cables and more to do with the Hart ones. Even compared to my various stock cables, I find the Hart cables a little warm and "rounded." Hart used to be my go-to immediate upgrade, but after doing these comparisons, not so much. Not an effect I like from a cable.
I also had a Van Damme silver plated copper 25 gauge mini starquad cable, that one also sounded smoother than the Drausk. Mogami 2893 as well, but the 2893 had a clear bass deficiency

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 10:03 PM Post #6,401 of 6,459
If you wouldn’t mind posting pictures, we all love shots of Trevor’s wonderful creations! 😁
Hello! My apologies for taking so long to post photos as you requested of my Skollvar cable.

The splitter actually matches the Atrium‘s grill more closely than it appears in the photos. Nevertheless, I love this cable and how it pairs with the Atrium aesthetically and sonically. :)

IMG_2504.jpeg
IMG_2496.jpeg

Jan 7, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #6,402 of 6,459
I also had a Van Damme silver plated copper 25 gauge mini starquad cable, that one also sounded smoother than the Drausk. Mogami 2893 as well, but the 2893 had a clear bass deficiency
Could be that cables in the $50-$100 range are more likely to muck up the sound quality for the sake of simply sounding "different" or "fun."

Jan 17, 2024 at 8:03 PM Post #6,403 of 6,459
I placed an order with Trevor back in September of last year. It was such an easy process and he even did an upgrade for no cost, a Vygarde v2. Communication was excellent, and the upgrade in sound over stock cable was noticeable. As a first time customer he treated me like someone who has placed many orders with him in the past. Can't recommend enough!
DSC01152.JPG

Jan 17, 2024 at 8:09 PM Post #6,404 of 6,459
I placed an order with Trevor back in September of last year. It was such an easy process and he even did an upgrade for no cost, a Vygarde v2. Communication was excellent, and the upgrade in sound over stock cable was noticeable. As a first time customer he treated me like someone who has placed many orders with him in the past. Can't recommend enough!
DSC01152.JPG

D8000 Pro + Norne + Luxman = 😍

Jan 17, 2024 at 8:13 PM Post #6,405 of 6,459
DSC01152.JPG
The Vygarde is a great cable, and if I didn’t have the much more expensive Einvaldi model (no longer made, replaced by the Vykari) I never would have wanted for more. Trevor is an artist and a gentleman.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back