Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread
Feb 10, 2019 at 7:49 AM Post #3,526 of 6,459
Silvergarde S3-C and Senn HD 650.
DSC_2133.JPG

Feb 10, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #3,528 of 6,459
I think so. I just A/Bed it with my HD 800S with Platinum Wywires cable. The 650 was not as bright and the bass was not as articulate. Its 95 % of the HD 800S. It is very smooth and listenable. A good light all day listening session headphone. I did not detect any veil obscuring the music.
Have not A/Bed it with original cord. Just connected New HD 650s to Norne cable and played continuously since last Monday afternoon.

Feb 12, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #3,529 of 6,459
= )

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #3,531 of 6,459
Feb 23, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #3,533 of 6,459
Picked up a pair of gently used Focal Utopia, that cam with a Draug 2 Cable, it is a fantastic pairing. I’m still getting the detail the Utopia is famous for, with just the right warmth to make them a great everyday can.

Feb 24, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #3,534 of 6,459
I received this Silvergarde S3 cable from @TigzStudio last Friday for my new LCD-4. Now I already own and use an assortment of Norne Audio cables for my Audeze LCD and other headphones in the Hifiman and Sennheiser series, such as the Draugs 2 and 3, the Solvine 2S, the Zoetic, and even the original Silvergarde S (Clear and non-clear versions), and all these are stellar in their own way. However, the LCD-4 and Silvergarde S3 pairing has taken things up quite a notch, as compared to all the others... I was of course expecting to hear some kind of difference when I ordered the S3, but I did not really know exactly what kind to expect... Let me just say that this has been quite the surprise, and a mind-boggling one at that..., but in a good way... I am hearing more detail, more transparency, clarity, extension, and you name it... Normally, I should not be that surprised... But when you have long assumed you already have "perfection," and then something else comes out, from left field, and shows you unexpected limitations in what you took "perfection" to be... What do you do in such a situation...? I still love all my the previous models of Norne cables I own, and I think I am going to hold on to all them, because they all still sound stellar, each in its own way, and it has taken me quite some time and investment to assemble them...

And yet, I am afraid how much this new LCD-4 + Silvergarde S3 is going to spoil me by making those previous cables sound like various shades of "inadequate." I do not have the kind of deep pockets that would enable to contemplate getting Silvergarde S3 or Draug Silver replacements for all my existing collection of aftermarket cables, and that is where things stand now. By the way here's the "usual suspect," in its full glory :

IMG_0268.jpg IMG_0269.jpg

Feb 24, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #3,535 of 6,459
I received this Silvergarde S3 cable from @TigzStudio last Friday for my new LCD-4. Now I already own and use an assortment of Norne Audio cables for my Audeze LCD and other headphones in the Hifiman and Sennheiser series, such as the Draugs 2 and 3, the Solvine 2S, the Zoetic, and even the original Silvergarde S (Clear and non-clear versions), and all these are stellar in their own way. However, the LCD-4 and Silvergarde S3 pairing has taken things up quite a notch, as compared to all the others... I was of course expecting to hear some kind of difference when I ordered the S3, but I did not really know exactly what kind to expect... Let me just say that this has been quite the surprise, and a mind-boggling one at that..., but in a good way... I am hearing more detail, more transparency, clarity, extension, and you name it... Normally, I should not be that surprised... But when you have long assumed you already have "perfection," and then something else comes out, from left field, and shows you unexpected limitations in what you took "perfection" to be... What do you do in such a situation...? I still love all my the previous models of Norne cables I own, and I think I am going to hold on to all them, because they all still sound stellar, each in its own way, and it has taken me quite some time and investment to assemble them...

And yet, I am afraid how much this new LCD-4 + Silvergarde S3 is going to spoil me by making those previous cables sound like various shades of "inadequate." I do not have the kind of deep pockets that would enable to contemplate getting Silvergarde S3 or Draug Silver replacements for all my existing collection of aftermarket cables, and that is where things stand now. By the way here's the "usual suspect," in its full glory :

What would you say would be the main change in the sound signature between the Draug 3 & the Silvergarde S3?

Feb 24, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #3,536 of 6,459
What would you say would be the main change in the sound signature between the Draug 3 & the Silvergarde S3?

If you're asking about how the Draug 3 and S3 sound on the LCD-4, then I would have to do some side by side auditioning in order to give you a more accurate answer. For now, i can provide provisional answers, along with appropriate caveats.

The Draug 3 has never ceased to amaze me in how closely it sounds like the Silvergarde S versions (Original and Clear) with the Hifiman He-1000. I have always struggled to hear a difference when comparing those two on the He-K, although the comparisons I have done have been rather casual, so far. , Also, I have done those comparisons only on one of my rigs (metrum Onyx ==>> Cavalli Monoprice Liquid platinum), so I do not want to consider the initial assessment to be conclusive. I would like to compare them on my other rig (Yggdrasil A2 ==>> Violectric V281) which is more revealing, before making that assessment more definitive. Still I find the Draug 3 to be pretty impressive, given the price Delta between the two (Draug 3 and Silvergarde S) and the fact that the Draug 3 is copper.

When it comes to the S3, what I have done so far, since receiving it, is compare it with the original Silvergarde S on the LCD-4 (on the Metrum Onyx ==>> Liquid Platinum rig), and the differences have been immediately apparent. If I'm allowed to extrapolate (from the way the Silvergarde S and the Draug 3 sound so much alike on the He-K), i would guess that the difference between the S3 and the Draug 3 (on the LCD-4) will resemble the one between the Silvergarde S3 and the original Silvergarde S, which is quite substantial. You could take that as a provisional answer, although here too, I wouldn't want to rush to judgment... I have noticed that the LCD-4 scales very significantly upward in performance when paired with the Yggdrasil A2 ==>> Violectric V281 rig. I wouldn't want to prejudge how it might play with either the Draug 3 or the S3 on either rig until I have actually auditioned them on both rigs.

One thing I can say for sure is that the S3 is the real deal! It does have my unequivocal thumbs up vote. The Draug 3 too has been stellar in comparison with the Silvergarde S on one of my rigs, when paired with the HeK. Who knows : it may even have more surprises up its sleeve when compared with the S3 on the LCD-4, although the evidence I have so far seems to suggest that it might come up slightly short. Still we will have to wait and see.

Feb 24, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #3,537 of 6,459
IMO, the Draug 3 is incredibly transparent. I assumed that because the Draug 2 did such a good job softening the hd800 with a generous does of warmth that the Draug 3 would be similar. But it's really not. It is however one of my favorite Norne cables ever.

Feb 26, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #3,540 of 6,459
Still waiting on shipment (or even a communication) about my BF order--now 3 months old. Sent second communication through Norne web site asking for order status. Is anyone else waiting for BF orders to be filled?
Just a little more patient :) Trevor has been having a ton of work with past and present orders piling up so he might be a bit behind schedule. I have mine on wait too. The wait is worth it however!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back