Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread
Sep 11, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #5,491 of 6,464
Hello. I was wondering if anyone knows the difference - soundwise of course - between Drausk and Drausk lite? I've sent an email about such info a long time ago, but haven't received any reply until now. I'd love to get a new cable for my ZMF Eikon LTD but it's hard to make a choice without any insight :)
I believe its the number of wires per polarity. I am not exactly sure how many, but the lite uses few less wires per polarity than the big bro drausk

Sep 12, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #5,492 of 6,464
I believe its the number of wires per polarity. I am not exactly sure how many, but the lite uses few less wires per polarity than the big bro drausk
From what I see in my records, Drausk is 17.7 awg. While I got lucky and have an extra-thick Drausk from the early sample days of the model (below), it’s a thick, lovely copper cable with incredible presence, richness, and impact. Highly recommended.

Attachments

• F264548A-79D1-4179-AD46-2FB16E2B3EDE.jpeg
    F264548A-79D1-4179-AD46-2FB16E2B3EDE.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Sep 12, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #5,493 of 6,464
Both copper occ litz, so thickness appears to be a primary difference. As stated on the website: Drausk is 17.7 awg, Drausk Lite is 20.8 awg.

Sep 12, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #5,494 of 6,464
Both copper occ litz, so thickness appears to be a primary difference. As stated on the website: Drausk is 17.7 awg, Drausk Lite is 20.8 awg.
Yes, that's my understanding and also my primary reason for getting the Lite over the regular Drausk. I wanted a cable that was as light and flexible (and unobtrusive) as possible, and figured less wire mass would achieve that goal more easily. The sonic presentation is of course the most important thing, but the ergonomics of the cable are of high importance (to me). Happy to say that the Drausk Lite serves up a heaping plateful of both.

Sep 12, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #5,495 of 6,464
I have owned a number of norne cables and at no time have i thought that their “full size” cables have been bulky. Especially for desktop listening

if it’s for portable applications, fair enough but not for desktop.

that’s my experience

Sep 12, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #5,496 of 6,464
I have owned a number of norne cables and at no time have i thought that their “full size” cables have been bulky. Especially for desktop listening

that’s my experience
I use the Silvergarde S4 8-wire, which is the bulkiest norne cable in the line up, and even that one is very flexible.

Ofc thr thinner cables are even more so, but at no time you'd have to be afraid that the thick ones are stiff

Sep 12, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #5,497 of 6,464

that’s my experience
This is my first Norne so I'm just stepping my toe into the waters, but that's good to know. Thanks!

Sep 12, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #5,498 of 6,464
Drausk (which I have) is described as "17.7AWG (PER POLARITY) - COPPER OCC LITZ - 16-WIRE" while Drausk Lite is described as "8-WIRE (EQUIV. 4 X 20.8AWG) - PURE COPPER OCC LITZ."

So the differences appear to be fewer & narrower wires for Drausk Lite vs Drausk.

My Drausk (with clear cover) looks big & thick--but feels light and is very flexible. Ergonomically it's a pleasure to use.

The sound is wonderful. I compared it to my favorite aftermarket cable, ForzaAudioWorks NCP Noir MK2, and may have heard a small difference in favor of the Drausk (cable differences tend to not be large, especially when 2 excellent/similar materials cables are compared). I never use these cables for mobile application or IEMs, so really don't care as much about ergonomics as some here do. The ergonomics of the Drausk are so good that I wouldn't want any less Drausk (vis thinner/fewer cables).

Sep 12, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #5,499 of 6,464
Drausk (which I have) is described as "17.7AWG (PER POLARITY) - COPPER OCC LITZ - 16-WIRE" while Drausk Lite is described as "8-WIRE (EQUIV. 4 X 20.8AWG) - PURE COPPER OCC LITZ."

So the differences appear to be fewer & narrower wires for Drausk Lite vs Drausk.

My Drausk (with clear cover) looks big & thick--but feels light and is very flexible. Ergonomically it's a pleasure to use.

The sound is wonderful. I compared it to my favorite aftermarket cable, ForzaAudioWorks NCP Noir MK2, and may have heard a small difference in favor of the Drausk (cable differences tend to not be large, especially when 2 excellent/similar materials cables are compared). I never use these cables for mobile application or IEMs, so really don't care as much about ergonomics as some here do. The ergonomics of the Drausk are so good that I wouldn't want any less Drausk (vis thinner/fewer cables).
It seems like the Drausk Lite uses half of the wire which is otherwise exactly the same.

Sep 22, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #5,503 of 6,464
Got a Drausk in the mail last Friday after ordering it about a month ago. It's terminated with a 4 pin xlr and 3 pin mini xlrs to connect to my 1266. Really like the look of the copper with the clear sleeving, it's my favorite looking cable by far.
Norne Drausk Clear.jpg

I have another Drausk but in black plastic sleeving which is terminated also with a 4 pin xlr but with connectors for the HD800s. I posted a picture of it on here a while back but can post it side by side with my new one if that would be helpful for anyone.

Edit: I do not have any sound impressions of the cable at the time but as with all Norne cables that I've used, the build and ergonomics are excellent.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #5,504 of 6,464
Got a Drausk in the mail last Friday after ordering it about a month ago. It's terminated with a 4 pin xlr and 3 pin mini xlrs to connect to my 1266. Really like the look of the copper with the clear sleeving, it's my favorite looking cable by far.

I have another Drausk but in black plastic sleeving which is terminated also with a 4 pin xlr but with connectors for the HD800s. I posted a picture of it on here a while back but can post it side by side with my new one if that would be helpful for anyone.

I really like the look of the clear Drausk!

I have a black Drausk that looks pretty nice on my African Blackwood Verites, and sounds fantastic. Such an amazing TOTL pure copper cable. Trevor is an absolute craftsman and makes what I believe are the absolute best audiophile cables.

Enjoy your new clear Drausk! :beyersmile:

Sep 22, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #5,505 of 6,464
Norne Drausk Clear.jpg

Edit: I do not have any sound impressions of the cable at the time but as with all Norne cables that I've used, the build and ergonomics are excellent.
My S4 is just black as I'm too reserved aesthetically but this is great. I love the pop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back