Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread
Mar 15, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #346 of 6,511
Thanks preproman, greed, and alota (edit: and gjc11028) for the responses!

I do certainly know that cables don't make magical, drastic differences. I am however a firm believer that there are definite benefits to be had for using quality materials versus something cheap.  also believe that once you get above a certain threshold of quality materials, you are going to hit that wall of diminishing returns, where any improvement past that point is very minor....Not to say that it doesn't exist, just you are going to get lesser noticeable difference. 

The thing that made me a believer in cables is this:
I did a DIY imod on a couple 5th gen iPods. Ran SPC direct from the DAC, through polypropylene film caps, and direct to the line out pins. Nothing in the path, just a straight shot to the 30 pin connector. Well I had A/B'd the stock units first, and they were identical, using the same LOD cable (BTG). Well after one was modded and the caps run in for awhile, I A/B'd the mod vs. stock. At the time I didn't think cables made a damn bit of difference, and I also had a cheapy Fiio L9 sitting around. Well to make the story short, I had the decent cable on the mod and the L9 on the stock unit. A/B'd them and it was night and day difference. Not just a "bit" but a HUGE difference. Well then  I figured what the heck and swapped the LOD's and guess what? The stock unit with the better cable sounded just as good as the modded unit with the L9 on it. That damn Fiio cable CRIPPLED the modification... Like no discernible difference from stock.

So the moral of the story is that I am a believer in using at least decent quality materials, because you are going to hear it. So it stands to reason anything above and beyond a good grade of materials that there is a possibility of it affecting the sound. So I certainly agree with the statements of "don't expect miracles, etc" !! Thanks! I know improvements will be subtle going into this so I am aware. 

....And then there is the luxury aspect of handmade, quality items which is nearly immeasurable! 
wink_face.gif
 You gotta feel good about that, even if sound wasn't an issue.

Anyhow I got a quick email back from Trevor saying he would get back to me soon with more detailed info soon, so I am happy to hear that.

Preproman - is that 24 cable really heavy or stiff? It looks amazing.

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #347 of 6,511
I haven't heard the Reign 24 yet, but I'm planning on buying one for my newly bought LCD-3. He said that if I wanted very little improvement to any part of the frequency than I should go with the Skuld, but the Reign series is known to improve upon more than just clarity, detail, imaging etc. This is what Trevor told me verbatim:

Even with just the Reign 4 coupled with my HD650, I can already hear improvement across the frequency as well as the improvements to retrieval and detail.

This was likewise with ny reign and the HD600s

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #349 of 6,511
Quote:
Thanks preproman, greed, and alota (edit: and gjc11028) for the responses!

I do certainly know that cables don't make magical, drastic differences. I am however a firm believer that there are definite benefits to be had for using quality materials versus something cheap.  also believe that once you get above a certain threshold of quality materials, you are going to hit that wall of diminishing returns, where any improvement past that point is very minor....Not to say that it doesn't exist, just you are going to get lesser noticeable difference. 

right.the benefits of one cable are subtle but importants. only i think that is not necessary to spend too much money for one cable and in every case more than the price of one headphone

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #350 of 6,511
Quote:
right.the benefits of one cable are subtle but importants. only i think that is not necessary to spend too much money for one cable and in every case more than the price of one headphone

This is a good thing to remember, but really bottom line is that sound is relative. One thing we all can agree on is that subtle differences is what we are willing to pay premiums for because thus is the nature of Hi-Fi, and Head-Fi. For example is the sound totally bad with a stock cable, not at all... but people that are passionate about their hobby... like me, are willing to spend additional money on that last say 3% that we are missing without using high quality materials and extra conductors.

Mar 16, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #351 of 6,511
Quote:

This is a good thing to remember, but really bottom line is that sound is relative. One thing we all can agree on is that subtle differences is what we are willing to pay premiums for because thus is the nature of Hi-Fi, and Head-Fi. For example is the sound totally bad with a stock cable, not at all... but people that are passionate about their hobby... like me, are willing to spend additional money on that last say 3% that we are missing without using high quality materials and extra conductors.

completely agree but without excess
wink.gif

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #352 of 6,511
Just wanted to say that Trevor is an absolute gentleman to deal with, I've pestered him with over 30-40 emails of questions, and changed my mind and have asked numerous questions and he's been terrific throughout the whole process. It seems our sleep schedules match up as well. I haven't even received his product yet, but I'll be sure to go back to again in the future for his stoic patience and spectacular service.

Mar 18, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #353 of 6,511
Quote:
Just wanted to say that Trevor is an absolute gentleman to deal with, I've pestered him with over 30-40 emails of questions, and changed my mind and have asked numerous questions and he's been terrific throughout the whole process. It seems our sleep schedules match up as well. I haven't even received his product yet, but I'll be sure to go back to again in the future for his stoic patience and spectacular service.

+1 It's been exactly the same for me. Trevor is a great guy and an absolute gentlemen. Can't wait to see and hear my Skuld 2 8-conductor :)

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #354 of 6,511
Quote:
+1 It's been exactly the same for me. Trevor is a great guy and an absolute gentlemen. Can't wait to see and hear my Skuld 2 8-conductor :)

sometimes people make the difference, not the product
wink.gif

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #355 of 6,511
sometimes people make the difference, not the product
wink.gif

Sure.

Just in Trevor's case - both: the product(s) AND the person make the difference.

Have been scrapping up DIY audio cables myself so I approximately know what it takes... If his cables would "sound" similar to the ones I've made or ones I stretched for from other manufacturers my reply would be pointless. But, if your audio gear is at certain level, his cables add subtle but audible layer of transparency which none of my cable efforts nor the ones I've got from other manufacturers could provide. To get this kind of materials, cable topology and effort required for it (plus his person to person communication) for prices he charges... Outstanding.

Mar 18, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #356 of 6,511
Quote:

Sure.

Just in Trevor's case - both: the product(s) AND the person make the difference.

Have been scrapping up DIY audio cables myself so I approximately know what it takes... If his cables would "sound" similar to the ones I've made or ones I stretched for from other manufacturers my reply would be pointless. But, if your audio gear is at certain level, his cables add subtle but audible layer of transparency which none of my cable efforts nor the ones I've got from other manufacturers could provide. To get this kind of materials, cable topology and effort required for it (plus his person to person communication) for prices he charges... Outstanding.

yes. best q/p relationship

Mar 30, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #357 of 6,511
I'm looking to get mini to mini interconnect with oyaide right angle jacks on both side. Anybody knows how much would that cost me and how long typically does it take to get such cable from Norse ?

Thanks

Harry

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #358 of 6,511
Quote:
I'm looking to get mini to mini interconnect with oyaide right angle jacks on both side. Anybody knows how much would that cost me and how long typically does it take to get such cable from Norse ?

Thanks

Harry

The best thing for you to do is contact Trevor directly. This is because it depends on what cable you want and the length etc. Time usually depends on his work load, a week or two maybe depending on how busy he is. Well worth the wait IMO.

Mar 31, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #359 of 6,511
Thanks
I have been in contact directly with Trevor regarding this.

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #360 of 6,511
Hey Everyone, I friday I got the Reign 24 for my HE6. They people who said that they are so much nicer in person than on the pictures weren't kidding! These things look beautiful on pictures but photos do not covey the glory that is Reign 24. And the sound... It appears as though the sound smoothed out. My he6 off the F3 really strike me now as super flat and smooth headphones. I really think that this cable combines the best of silver and copper - gobs of detail, great bass and smooth 3d easy to fall in love with presentation. With this cable, the HE6 has become my favorite can. Until now it was head to head with my HD800, but not any more.

But I think I am preaching to the choir here, so let me tell you something that was somewhat unique about my transaction with Trevor. Basically, when Trevor send me an email, informing me that the headphones were dropped off at his USPS office for delivery, I expressed concern about using that carrier. You see, my mailman notoriously delivers my mail seemingly all over the city and brings other peoples mail to my address. Sometimes my neighbors bring me what was delivered to them but oftentimes when he delivers it elsewhere the mail gets lost. Ironically enough it is usually the more expensive items that get lost. For instance, when I bought my DNA Sonett, the amp was lost. When I called DC USPS I was given the runaround. THe 1800 number directed me to call a number that just kept on ringing and no one answered, and when I called the main DC office, they gave me few different numbers to call on different occasions and when I finally got connected to what appeared to me my mail sorting facility, when I explained my situation, the woman on the other line literally yelled "That cotton pickin' ....." and hung up the phone. my subsequent attempts to call that number were futile. I had wait to file insurance claim couple of weeks after the package was not delivered and then I was told that I would take couple of months before they would complete the insurance invention so that I  can get my money. After couple of important items getting lost, I stopped using the USPS in DC as much as I can. So anyway, long and behold, the cable did NOT arrive at my door the day Trevor was assured it would and I started to have flashbacks and a mini freak out. I contacted Trevor at the end of that day and he was incredibly responsive. He immediately answered all my email, agreed to deal with USPS, and even offered to make me a new cable if this one does in fact get lost. Thankfully, the cable arrived the following day. The box was marked "hold" so for some reason the post office held on to it to deliver it after the promised delivery date. Maybe my mailman is paying me back after all the times I called to complain on him. The bottom line however is that Trevor is an amazing person to deal with. Customer service is amazing. IME (and I have heard bunch of well regarded cables) his cables are top tier. You cannot do better, especially if you consider the price. With his attention to detail in production and customer service, I am gonna be returning to him for all me cable needs from now on!

Congratulations Trevor on cables that could really be considered a piece of art! That is what my wife actually said and I certainly agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back