Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread
Dec 8, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #2,986 of 6,459
Ok, Trevor has written a helpful reply to me with a quote. Now I must decide between the Draug Silver and the Draug 3 for the Utopia. Hitherto, people have suggested the Silver, on the persuasive pretext that it will be more transparent and resolving. My question is more regarding synergy. For example, the prevailing wisdom, it seems to me, is that a headphone such as the HD800 benefits from a good copper cable to tame the treble and more to the bottom end. Many people have said the Draug series is an amazing cable for the HD800, me being one of them, as I have actually purchased one for my HD800.

Why wouldn't this be the same for the Utopia, which tends to lean toward the brighter side? Would I risk accentuating further the brightness by going silver? On the other hand, I am quite tempted by trying the Silver, as the prospect of even higher resolution, micro-detail, and etc. seems exciting. Thoughts?
I easily prefered my silvergarde s2 over my draug 2 with my hd800. Thats not a criticism of the d2. That was due to my setup of my tibe wa2 amp which is quite smooth and silky and my musical preferences

I found i preferred the better detail, the tight but punchy bass and the highs were still kept in check in my system for me.

I am planning to go to the silver draug when i can in the new year. So it all depends on you and what you have.

Trevors silver cables, or at least the s2 that i had and the silvergarde iem that i h ave are great, if they may suit you, as i have never found them dry or sterile like you sonetimes get with other silver cables.

And trevor is pretty accomodating if its not quite right (ie his return/ swap policy)

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #2,987 of 6,459
I easily prefered my silvergarde s2 over my draug 2 with my hd800. Thats not a criticism of the d2. That was due to my setup of my tibe wa2 amp which is quite smooth and silky and my musical preferences

I found i preferred the better detail, the tight but punchy bass and the highs were still kept in check in my system for me.

I am planning to go to the silver draug when i can in the new year. So it all depends on you and what you have.

Trevors silver cables, or at least the s2 that i had and the silvergarde iem that i h ave are great, if they may suit you, as i have never found them dry or sterile like you sonetimes get with other silver cables.

And trevor is pretty accomodating if its not quite right (ie his return/ swap policy)

Very helpful. I have an Eddie Current Zana Deux Super amp, which is likely less tubey than your WA2 yet still has a slight OTL veil. My DAC is the Yggy, which can be highly detailed and bright. Both make a formidable match for the Utopia.

Your comments have me intrigued on the Silver. Thanks.

Dec 8, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #2,988 of 6,459
Very helpful. I have an Eddie Current Zana Deux Super amp, which is likely less tubey than your WA2 yet still has a slight OTL veil. My DAC is the Yggy, which can be highly detailed and bright. Both make a formidable match for the Utopia.

Your comments have me intrigued on the Silver. Thanks.
And Im looking to go the silver draug now feels r my hd800 as my sound has changed since changing usb cable. So the slightly smooth silver draug, from what i have read about here, i think will suit me better. The s2 might be a little too vibrant/aggressive for me up high, but the bottom does kick nicely and overall the s2 i found had a nice touch of thickness (tone/weight) in the sound right across it.

IF the silver works for your setup then they can be quite special. Silver draug or silvergarde s2.

Theres a few comments in the last few pages of members who have tried both options and discussed how they compare them

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #2,990 of 6,459
Have anyone got the new Solvine?
I have ordered it and am now waiting to hear Trevor's new cable.
Thanks.

Dec 14, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #2,992 of 6,459
I hope you guys can help me. I have a quote for the Draug Silver and am just waiting on Trevor for final step.

But until then, I have been really conflicted on the best splitter that would go with both the Utopia and silver cable aesthetic. Below are options. I first thought 2 would fit the black/red in the Utopia's outer screen best but then thought 11's black carbon fiber would match the black carbon fiber on Utopia's baffles. I now think 7 or 8 would likely be best based on pictures I've seen on this thread. It's actually hard for me to decide. Does anyone have any opinions on what would be most fitting?

Norne-Audio-full-size-headphone-cable-y-split-splitter-options-engraved-precious-metal01.png

Dec 14, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #2,993 of 6,459
I hope you guys can help me. I have a quote for the Draug Silver and am just waiting on Trevor for final step.

But until then, I have been really conflicted on the best splitter that would go with both the Utopia and silver cable aesthetic. Below are options. I first thought 2 would fit the black/red in the Utopia's outer screen best but then thought 11's black carbon fiber would match the black carbon fiber on Utopia's baffles. I now think 7 or 8 would likely be best based on pictures I've seen on this thread. It's actually hard for me to decide. Does anyone have any opinions on what would be most fitting?

Strictly for my preference, nothing beats a black/red combo. 2 gets my vote.

Dec 14, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #2,994 of 6,459

I know this is a subjective thing, but I like #7 - silver with the black accent. I'm looking forward to your impressions with the new cable!

Dec 14, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #2,995 of 6,459
I’m a big Fan of #2, plus I think it ties the Utopia’s color scheme to the cable quite well. Also looking forward to your observations!

Dec 15, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #2,996 of 6,459
easily prefered my silvergarde s2 over my draug 2 with my hd800. Thats not a criticism of the d2. That was due to my setup of my tibe wa2 amp which is quite smooth and silky and my musical preferences
I have the silvergrade s1 and the draug 2 with the HD800. I easily prefer the s1 in my setup. The draug 2 is a good upgrade over stock but the s1 is better in every way. I made several key upgrades recently on tubes and interconnects and I'm surprised that the difference between the draug and silvergrade is greater than before.

Dec 15, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #2,997 of 6,459
I have the silvergrade s1 and the draug 2 with the HD800. I easily prefer the s1 in my setup. The draug 2 is a good upgrade over stock but the s1 is better in every way. I made several key upgrades recently on tubes and interconnects and I'm surprised that the difference between the draug and silvergrade is greater than before.

It's good to hear this. It seems these voices liking silver with HD800s were conspicuously absent, as if Draug 2 would be the go-to HD800 cable. I love the HD800 with the Draug 2. And for the price-point it is not beatable. It's the failure on my part to even consider anything else that has really opened me up recently (I just committed to a silver cable for my Utopia, when I was sure it would be a copper Draug).

You have, though, a particularly amazing setup for the HD800 that would seem to thrive particularly well with what I understand the Silvergarde to sound like, punchy and more forward. The Stratus and Pavane is end-game territory for that transducer TBH.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #2,998 of 6,459
I'm only recently enjoying the silver cable on HD800. It took a lot of tube and cable rolling to get the right synergy between components. Before that the HD800 with the silver cable was treble hot and not really enjoyable. This is why I don't really sell any of my gear, you never know what combination hides waiting to be discovered.

Dec 15, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #2,999 of 6,459
Geez - i just realised that i have the budget/mini version of your set up.

Wa2 and hex. I cant imagine how good the pavane might be considering i love my hex so much.

I totally agree with what you said.

The draug copper i think is a solid cable for the hd800 for most solid state set ups for people wanting a copper sound. The price is VERY good.

I’m looking forward to picking up a silver draug in the new year. Need to gather a few dollars first post Christmas

Dec 15, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #3,000 of 6,459
I'm only recently enjoying the silver cable on HD800. It took a lot of tube and cable rolling to get the right synergy between components. Before that the HD800 with the silver cable was treble hot and not really enjoyable. This is why I don't really sell any of my gear, you never know what combination hides waiting to be discovered.

That's kinda what I thought. Pavane into Stratus would really help with that. Both of those are good at taming the HD800s weaknesses without compromising its strengths, indeed letting them shine through. Stratus/HD800 is my end-game dream.

My chain is Lynx AES16e into Sonic Frontiers SFD-1 SE+/Yggy into ZDS into Utopia. I would think this is slightly brighter than yours, but still well-controlled and synergestic. Utopia/ZDS combo is highly complementary. The ZDS throws a deep stage and has slightly forward mids; the Utopia's mids are arguably the most resolving of any headphone, yet they can be dry. The Utopia's staging is relatively small. You can see why they synergize so well.

I think the Draug Silver will fit very well into this chain. The Draug Silver is supposed to be a smooth cable that is not bright, but which is more transparent than the copper Draugs. More than one person, beyond Trevor, reported this. I will post impressions (and of course pictures).

Users who are viewing this thread

• djes
Back