Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jan 5, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #676 of 6,432
Quote:
I agree, and i did direct him to amazon, i dont think he even knew about manufaktur. At least i tried
Quote:
Maybe he thinks that Manufaktur is the only way to get it...

Still, though, a few minutes to customize a multi-hundred dollar investment is not really a big deal. I smell a lousy excuse 
rolleyes.gif

Guitar Center sells them as well if you have one locally. It's really a nice source for auditioning entry level headphones. I've heard they'll do a price match if you ask them.

Jan 5, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #677 of 6,432
The M50s are pretty close to workable lower limit of circumaural headphone size.  What's smaller?  Sony V6?

Jan 5, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #678 of 6,432

Quote:
The M50s are pretty close to workable lower limit of circumaural headphone size.  What's smaller?  Sony V6?

possibly, maybe he wanted something with a much thinner headband, and cups designed to just about make it over your ears (bose) :p

Jan 5, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #679 of 6,432
Well, if you look at stuff like the Beats and Bose noise cancelling line, they do look quite a bit smaller than m50's. Size can be deceiving though, as k701's don't properly fit around my ears, despite being MASSIVE.

Jan 5, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #680 of 6,432

Quote:
Well, if you look at stuff like the Beats and Bose noise cancelling line, they do look quite a bit smaller than m50's. Size can be deceiving though, as k701's don't properly fit around my ears, despite being MASSIVE.

they're around the same size (earpad wise) but yes, they do look a lot more...streamlined, thinner, smaller, lighter components at the cost of durability, but wow...k701's don't fit around your ears?...aren't those earpads massive?

Jan 5, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #681 of 6,432
You'd think so, but the hole in the middle is actually quite small, and perfectly circular, rather than oval-shaped, like Senn pads are. That, combined with my genetically mutated ears means that i have to tuck the tops of my ears into the pads in order to fit the cans on my ears fully.

My friends at school thought my hd558's were big... Wait till they get an eyefull of these, lol.

Jan 5, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #682 of 6,432

Quote:
You'd think so, but the hole in the middle is actually quite small, and perfectly circular, rather than oval-shaped, like Senn pads are. That, combined with my genetically mutated ears means that i have to tuck the tops of my ears into the pads in order to fit the cans on my ears fully.

My friends at school thought my hd558's were big... Wait till they get an eyefull of these, lol.

so you're dad's the keelbler elf and your mom's the keelber elf's wife JK :D IEM's have a tendency to fall out of my right ear (right ear ONLY) when I eat or chew gum...

Jan 5, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #683 of 6,432
Funnily enough, I've got the same exact problem, on the same exact ear. I was so excited to use my meelec's for working out, until I found that just walking, or talking, could push them out of my right ear.

Cried several rivers that night. Sticking to marshmallows, I guess 
frown.gif

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #684 of 6,432
It's not too odd that IEMs would get loose or fall out of your ear when you move your mouth. It causes slight movement to your ear canal. Some people recommend putting IEMs in with your mouth/jaw slightly open so you get the best seal.

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #685 of 6,432
Oh, look at these cool $90 headphones!

-That's stupid, look at these ones from the dollar store!

Blech!

Jan 6, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #689 of 6,432
I had an interesting opinion from my friend who at that time, hadn't owned any audiophile headphones. He listened to my DT990 and said, "the bass was a little heavy and the treble quite shrill, the bass was a little recessed, but overall it sounds really good."

After a few months, he got a livewires 3. That time he listened to the DT990 was the first time he listened to audiophile headphones.

And then there was the other opinion from another guy, after listening to my HD650, K701, DT990. He asked me a very short question. "So?"

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #690 of 6,432

Quote:
I had an interesting opinion from my friend who at that time, hadn't owned any audiophile headphones. He listened to my DT990 and said, "the bass was a little heavy and the treble quite shrill, the bass was a little recessed, but overall it sounds really good."

After a few months, he got a livewires 3. That time he listened to the DT990 was the first time he listened to audiophile headphones.

And then there was the other opinion from another guy, after listening to my HD650, K701, DT990. He asked me a very short question. "So?"

That's pretty much the same thoughts I have on the DT990, and I've heard most of the high end headphones.  So maybe your friend really has good ears for headphones.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back