Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jan 6, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #691 of 6,432
With those comments, I could have mistaken him as an audiophile already...

Quote:
I had an interesting opinion from my friend who at that time, hadn't owned any audiophile headphones. He listened to my DT990 and said, "the bass was a little heavy and the treble quite shrill, the bass was a little recessed, but overall it sounds really good."

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #692 of 6,432

Quote:
With those comments, I could have mistaken him as an audiophile already...

Quote:
I had an interesting opinion from my friend who at that time, hadn't owned any audiophile headphones. He listened to my DT990 and said, "the bass was a little heavy and the treble quite shrill, the bass was a little recessed, but overall it sounds really good."

I agree - this guy was already a likely addic*ahem* - 'enthusiast' before you demo'd your cans for him.

Ah well, the first hit is always 'free'....

Jan 6, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #693 of 6,432
This is what happened today, verbatim:

Teacher: Hey are those Beats?
Kid: No they are Skullcandy's. But they were expensive though!
Teacher: Oh, Beats are really amazing! I know Alex (me) would disagree since they aren't DJ headphones.
Teacher cont.: The Beats are amazing. It is as if you are sitting there in a concert. The bass is amazing even if it is plugged into an iPod!

I told this teacher a few months ago that Beats were overrated. This was when I got my first real 'phones, Grado SR225i. She disagreed arbitrarily. 

It's safe to say this didn't make Alex happy.

On a positive note, my friend that got the NuForce NE-6 likes them. He loves how well they isolate. 

Jan 6, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #694 of 6,432

Quote:
This is what happened today, verbatim:

Teacher: Hey are those Beats?
Kid: No they are Skullcandy's. But they were expensive though!
Teacher: Oh, Beats are really amazing! I know Alex (me) would disagree since they aren't DJ headphones.
Teacher cont.: The Beats are amazing. It is as if you are sitting there in a concert. The bass is amazing even if it is plugged into an iPod!

I told this teacher a few months ago that Beats were overrated. This was when I got my first real 'phones, Grado SR225i. She disagreed arbitrarily. 

It's safe to say this didn't make Alex happy.

On a positive note, my friend that got the NuForce NE-6 likes them. He loves how well they isolate. 

I rechecked the Beats at Best Buy (had to pick up a short-term cable whilst waiting for Amazon) since I hadn't since I got my HD 650s.

I'm baffled.  I can see why so many people have made it their crusade to keep their loved ones away from these muddy mucked up crap-phones.

It's only because these things are sold in Best Buy etc. that they are getting traction.  Put 'em next to an HD 650 with DAC and Amp and they'd be totally neglected.

Jan 6, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #695 of 6,432

So, the skullcandy kid asked me about my iGrados, so I explained.

Also, a couple of my friends like to borrow my iGrados for a few minutes. And one said "OMG Your freaking expensive headphones make my music sound amazing"

Quote:
At lunch, I was talking headphones with some dude who had Senn 212s, and his friend is like "Skullcandy is the best. I own my loyalty to them" (dude, srsly, What?), and he was like "Why the hell do cords need to be 10 feet longs?". He also said the senns had "no bass"...

I was disappointed, but them one of my friends came up to me and was like "What are some good headphones?", and I introduced her to the rabbit hole.

Jan 6, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #696 of 6,432
iGrados aren't even that expensive! Imagine what they'd say about a REALLY expensive setup...

Jan 6, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #697 of 6,432
I should bring my $500 beginner setup to class, just for giggles. Do you guys this she'll be wooed by the K702? 
redface.gif

Jan 6, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #698 of 6,432
Quote:
I should bring my $500 beginner setup to class, just for giggles. Do you guys this she'll be wooed by the K702? 
redface.gif

I think it's more likely someone will say your Asgard is a fire hazard...

Jan 6, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #700 of 6,432

Quote:
redface.gif

I don't think you're headphone setup will ever get you laid, bro.  If you do find a girl it impresses (who's cute) - marry her!

Jan 6, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #701 of 6,432
It's not THAT bad. It keeps my tea nice and hot but it cannot fry bacon. Tried and true statement right there. 

By she, I meant my teacher, not trying to get laid via audio. Haha.
I won't find a girl who it impresses. Don't worry. 

Jan 6, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #702 of 6,432
Quote:
It's not THAT bad. It keeps my tea nice and hot but it cannot fry bacon.

Hmm.  The manual mentions that the warranty is void if you use it as a coffee warmer and you accidentally spill your coffee into it, but doesn't mention tea at all.

Loophole!

Jan 6, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #704 of 6,432
you just made me try the ultrasone CD again and i forgot how cool the first track was!

now i know what track to use to demo headphones!

Quote:
Nowadays I just show people my headphones without any major pretentions, I mean, I know they'll see they're good, but I don't expect them to realize how good they are.

A very funny thing that always happens is that, when I'm showing anyone the K1000s and K701s, first I always put the first track in Ultrasone's test CD, which is a binaural recording and has a flute playing kind of behind you at the beginning. So far I think there hasn't been a single person that hasn't looked behind their shoulders when it started playing! I know that this effect doesn't require particularly good headphones, but the reactions are very funny to see.

When showing real music, the reactions are usually "wow, I feel like I'm in a show!" and "my god, it's like the voice is playing inside my head". Should be the opposite with the K1000, but nevermind!

Also, another thing that I do is letting people hear a Triport (that I got before I knew good sound) and then the AKGs or my SR-80is. That way they realize how crappy the Bose sounds!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back