Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jan 6, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #721 of 6,432
Two can play at that game.  MSRP on my HD650 is $649.95! 
wink_face.gif

Jan 6, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #725 of 6,432

Quote:
This'll be my 2nd HD650. The first one I picked up brand new for $240. I wish I never sold them.

Oh well.

Whaaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?

Jan 6, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #728 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:
This'll be my 2nd HD650. The first one I picked up brand new for $240. I wish I never sold them.

Oh well.

Whaaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?

That's why I bought them. I didn't think I would like the sound signature, but it sure made some genres I usually pass over sound great. The guy that bought them got a dealer's discount and was OCD (there was supposedly a teeny tiny little scratch somewhere, but I couldn't find it) so I got them at a huge discount, already burned in. I didn't lose any money when I sold them, and I bought a giant monitor with the money I got.

Jan 6, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #729 of 6,432
And crossfeed and oversampling have an effect that scales up with better headphones.

Since I gave it a try, I can't even listen to Cream without using it (HeadPlug MKII on Winamp) with my HD 600s.  My Alessandros don't sound nearly as good with it on (both in comparison to the HD 600 and in comparison to itself with crossfeeding off), but it does reduce fatigue.

I'm a speaker guy though.

Quote:
I use cross-fade and stereo width adjustments to increase perceived soundstage, and oversampling to increase perceived treble detail. I think it works rather well, but yes, you can still hear differences between soundstage on a full-size can versus an IEM.

Quote:

"...nor can you EQ in soundstage or detail.  With reasonably priced consumer equipment/software you can't EQ the extremely sharp gradients that can occur in transducer frequency response (particularly headphones), either...)

Jan 7, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #730 of 6,432
I lold today, so I have been using my ultrasones as  portable *because why not* and some kid was giving me guff about them saying OHHHH skullcandy wana be's and he just got the special edition skull crushers, we traded, I played some NIN for him, he played some crappy hip hop for me, my face was -_-, his face when the music started.
he simply looked dumbfounded*song was 10000000* he didnt say anything, took his back,put them away and sat down. I was happy.

Jan 7, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #731 of 6,432
That, sir, is a story full of win.
beyersmile.png
My girlfriend still gives me crap about having more than 1 set of headphones.

Quote:
I lold today, so I have been using my ultrasones as  portable *because why not* and some kid was giving me guff about them saying OHHHH skullcandy wana be's and he just got the special edition skull crushers, we traded, I played some NIN for him, he played some crappy hip hop for me, my face was -_-, his face when the music started.
he simply looked dumbfounded*song was 10000000* he didnt say anything, took his back,put them away and sat down. I was happy.

Jan 7, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #732 of 6,432
beats by dre pros were in my class today. everybody was so amazed. the only thing i was amazed about was how the kid could spend 450 just like that. i brought my ath-m50s and everybody loved them.

Jan 7, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #733 of 6,432

Quote:
beats by dre pros were in my class today. everybody was so amazed. the only thing i was amazed about was how the kid could spend 450 just like that. i brought my ath-m50s and everybody loved them.

yea people thing big price=big quality, oddly enough I'm still mostly satisfied with my little JVC marsh mellows as an IEM for school, cheep, fairly good sound, pretty bassy but they are IEM's and surprisingly prevalent mids, NO HIGHS!!!!!

Jan 7, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #734 of 6,432

Quote:

You played a song that compressed for him?  I can barely listen to The Slip.

Jan 7, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #735 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:

You played a song that compressed for him?  I can barely listen to The Slip.

it was a flac rip from the cd and made into a 320kb mp3, that a problem? he was using a limewire torrented song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back