Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jan 4, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #661 of 6,432
For the last couple months I received a fair share of harassment at work for ordering "cheap", "sub-par", "crappy", etc etc etc headphones.  This includes Beyer DT990, Koss DJ100, AKG K518LE, Senns HD595, among others; by no means uber high end items, but perfect for my budget and purposes.  I work in a consulting/professional services environment and Bose has that market locked down airtight; almost everyone in my department owns and swears by their product (and bad mouth everything else), especially if they do any traveling.

Well, couple weeks ago my boss leaving office on another business trip, but *GASP* realized he forgot his Bose QC3 cans.  In panic he asked to borrow one of my headphones.  I let him use my Koss DJ100 along with JDS Labs cMoyBB amp I had that day...When I received them back after a week, he first asked me how much both items cost (~$120) and than why half his music sounded awesome and half sounded like crap (I guess DJ100's don't play nice with crappy music files LOL). 

I guess there was enough in that experience and my answers to make him question his initial dismissive opinion about this hobby.  He ended up apologizing for the hard time he gave me, continued to ask more questions and actually came over my house to listen to my other headphone.  He just picked up Phiaton MS400 headphones with FiiO E7 amp for Christmas and gave Bose ones to his wife LOL

Jan 5, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #663 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:
 He just picked up Phiaton MS400 headphones with FiiO E7 amp for Christmas and gave Bose ones to his wife LOL

lol

thats right, the wifes get all the crappy hand me downs? lol decent choice for entry levels though, but the E7 amp i would of told him to leave behind & go with an E9 (you know, saves the headache of buying another once you endulge in those D7000's for example)

Jan 5, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #664 of 6,432
Quote:
 thats right, the wifes get all the crappy hand me downs? lol decent choice for entry levels though, but the E7 amp i would of told him to leave behind & go with an E9 (you know, saves the headache of buying another once you endulge in those D7000's for example)

Funny enough the wife has no problem justifying spending $1,000+ on a single bottle of wine or $5,000+ on jewelry, but considered both the Bose's and Phiaton's as a waste of money *shrug shoulders*

And I my boss played it safe and bought the E7 from his experience with mine, especially as DAC at work.  Business laptops get the really short end of the stick when it comes to media hardware/software.  I am pretty sure he'll start a collection of his own soon haha

I do have E9 as well that he tried out, but I don't think it had enough "style/presence/image/etc" for him.  I only swayed his opinion regarding headphones, not the whole image conscious nature of our lifestyles/careers...LOL...He is starting to look at home specific headphones and amps, but he is being more picky/thorough with that purchase.

Jan 5, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #665 of 6,432
I posted this in another thread, but I felt as if it would also be suitable here:

I just got the phones, have them on right now. I have never owned a quality pair of headphones, so I don't really have anything to compare them to.

The sound is really difficult to explain. It's like I'm hearing the music for the first time. The vocals are clear, I'm not struggling to hear the lyrics. I can clearly distinguish the different parts of the beat, it's no longer a mash-up. It is now multiple sounds, instead of one sound. I'm hearing things I've never heard. Even the little crackle's in the audio are defined. I can see the song taking shape in front of my eyes. I know this sounds sort of ridiculous, but this is the only way I know how to describe it (with my my limited audiophile vocabulary). It's like a painting. I can pick out the pieces, which is beautiful. But when the pieces come together, it's amazing.

Also note, this is hearing music with my m50 plugged directly into my Lenovo T4000.

Jan 5, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #666 of 6,432
UPDATE apparently the TSA has deemed my senn hd555s a "threat to security" and they were taken from my checked baggage (I put them in there so they would have clothes to cushion them) and not returned, I filed a complaint asking for them back (or at least reimbursing me for their cost) and I have not heard back from them. 

I have a feeling there is a TSA agent rocking out somewhere though.

but they were modified (put plaster in the cups to mass damp it) so that might be why. I could also se them being ripped apart by agents trying to figure out what the plaster is.

tl:dr take your headphones and amps as carry on so you can explain

oh and they were going to be a christmas present for my dad (in case you did not read my previous post)

Jan 5, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #667 of 6,432

Quote:
UPDATE apparently the TSA has deemed my senn hd555s a "threat to security" and they were taken from my checked baggage (I put them in there so they would have clothes to cushion them) and not returned, I filed a complaint asking for them back (or at least reimbursing me for their cost) and I have not heard back from them. 

I have a feeling there is a TSA agent rocking out somewhere though.

but they were modified (put plaster in the cups to mass damp it) so that might be why. I could also se them being ripped apart by agents trying to figure out what the plaster is.

Always take your valuables in your carry-on luggage.  Of course, I've been known to eat my own words - I put my $700 16x70 Fujinon binos in my checked backage on the way back from Sweden, since I didn't have any room left in my bag.  It was either them or a couple thousand in cameras and lenses - which are far more appealing to steal.

Jan 5, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #668 of 6,432
That sucks, I would fill a lawsuit or something. This why I dont wanna fly because of TSA BS.

Jan 5, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #669 of 6,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by turimbar1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had TSA take interest in my JDS Labs cMoy portable amp couple times.  During Thanksgiving flight an agent asked something along the lines of "if I packed my own carry on bag and if I was aware of any suspicious homemade devices of questionable nature inside of it " LOL

Jan 5, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #671 of 6,432
A few weeks ago one of my friends asked me what kind of headphones he should get. I told him that, based on his music preferences, he should get DT 770s. today he came to school with the Beats studios and said, "I didn't want to go through the hassle of ordering the dt 770's"...........arghhhhh

Jan 5, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #672 of 6,432

Quote:
A few weeks ago one of my friends asked me what kind of headphones he should get. I told him that, based on his music preferences, he should get DT 770s. today he came to school with the Beats studios and said, "I didn't want to go through the hassle of ordering the dt 770's"...........arghhhhh

Wait, ordering things online is a hassle?  I thought it was the consumerist version of getting a cheap high...

Jan 5, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #673 of 6,432
Maybe he thinks that Manufaktur is the only way to get it...

Still, though, a few minutes to customize a multi-hundred dollar investment is not really a big deal. I smell a lousy excuse 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 5, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #675 of 6,432

Quote:

LOL, even worse exuse IMO...friend asks you about headphone, looking for a fullsized (around the ear) so i give him a link to the M50's, and he goes, "naaaaawww too big"
what! that's about the normal size of a full sized around the ear headphone..I mean, they do have to go around your ears...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back