Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jan 4, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #647 of 6,432

Szadzik

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 19, 2009
Posts
2,271
Likes
34
So sad none of my friends/ family/ coworkers know anything about good headphones (not that I know much). When I mentioned buying headphones at work a coworker started boasting about his great Boses and what could I say - nothing really. He knows nothing about sound quality as he bought the phones only for their brand. 
 
Jan 4, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #648 of 6,432

Deep Funk

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 13, 2009
Posts
3,273
Likes
34
Quote:
Next time, try it with an HD800.

The PX200 II would be better in my opinion. Why? For such a small thing the sound is impressive and if a small PX-series can give 'mainstream' headphones a run for their money Sennheiser did something right. The little PX is not perfect but overall it is impressive, very much so in my opinion.
 
 
Jan 4, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #649 of 6,432

yliu

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 23, 2010
Posts
689
Likes
23


Quote:
So sad none of my friends/ family/ coworkers know anything about good headphones (not that I know much). When I mentioned buying headphones at work a coworker started boasting about his great Boses and what could I say - nothing really. He knows nothing about sound quality as he bought the phones only for their brand. 



I don't think it's only happening with you, since a lot of people don't are about sound quality, and either download low quality digital copies or rip their cd on 128kbps (default on iTunes). They think Bose is good because of the money bose spends on advertisements...
 
Jan 4, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #650 of 6,432

Keiko

New Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 14, 2010
Posts
47
Likes
1
I tried messing around with the ways I introduced headphones to others. Tried the "oh hey listen" technique with the neighbor which got the usual "oh its decent sounding" we do have to take into consideration some people dim their responses so they dont sound jealous (when they are sometimes) since we cant all afford nice can's (them atleast) so they talk up what they own. So then the other method was introducing them to the basic  headphone & slowly working the way up to the top so they could recognize the differences. I went
sentry HO482 -> Sony MDR V150 -> AKG K530 -> AKG K450 -> AKG K501 I'm aware the 501 isnt really the best but its the best I have on this trip & I couldnt let them demo the 701. This worked really well & they ended up prefferring the K501 (I didnt tell them it was better, i was just like "try this, and now this, and this") they were also able to distinqush the audio difference between FLAC & A 320KB CDrip.
 
 
Cant randomly "rape" their ears with good quality audio :p sadly no funny responses cause this place is surrounded by older people & little youth.
 
Jan 4, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #652 of 6,432

NapalmK

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 16, 2010
Posts
1,661
Likes
24
About a week ago, one of my dad's friends from work was telling him that his son was looking into buying some good headphones and my dad told him to talk to me. As should be expected he was set on the Beats or those Bose over ears so I told him to look at M50, 840, and DT770 (if he wanted a lot of bass) among others and give them a listen. Surprisingly he bought the 840s after an audition. Officially my first convert!
 
Jan 4, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #653 of 6,432

Hrimthursum

Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 22, 2010
Posts
54
Likes
10


Quote:
About a week ago, one of my dad's friends from work was telling him that his son was looking into buying some good headphones and my dad told him to talk to me. As should be expected he was set on the Beats or those Bose over ears so I told him to look at M50, 840, and DT770 (if he wanted a lot of bass) among others and give them a listen. Surprisingly he bought the 840s after an audition. Officially my first convert!

YAAAY!! Congrats!
Someone stole my MDR-7506's, does that count as a convert?
(original was a typo, I was half asleep)
 
Jan 4, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #654 of 6,432

Varley

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 9, 2010
Posts
896
Likes
27


Quote:



'AUTHENTIC Monster cables'...Ooooooooo...
biggrin.gif

 
Jan 4, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #655 of 6,432
Joined
Mar 20, 2010
Posts
18,272
Likes
3,499
All I get is "You paid, how much?". If it doesn't have car subwoofer bass, they won't consider it good sounding.
 
Such is the life of an audiophile who is surrounded by the Monster Beats generation.
 
I did get good reactions to the XB700, M50, and DT770 Pro 80... of course. But even I am tired of huge bass and nothing else (though the M50s isn't exactly in that specific area of sound.). While those cans were all in my budding audiophile phase, I have since grown into preferring no more bass than the D7000 and DT990s. But I don't want less either. I think it's a good transition for that specific demographic.
 
I highly doubt cans like the K701/2 will normally impress non-audiophiles. Though they did impress my friends when I hooked them up for gaming with Dolby Headphone. They could tell how clear they were.
 
My roomie who I sold the M50s to was quite impressed by the D7000 (he's the only one to hear it so far), but he doesn't believe the sound is worth 7x more than his M50s. While I do agree, I do know paying a crapload more for a marginal improvement, and not a huge one. We all know about that.
 
I think the BEST price range for non-audiophiles to be impressed is in the $250-350 range. Mid-fi cans.
 
Jan 4, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #656 of 6,432

Leonardo Drummond

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 31, 2010
Posts
253
Likes
72
Nowadays I just show people my headphones without any major pretentions, I mean, I know they'll see they're good, but I don't expect them to realize how good they are.
 
A very funny thing that always happens is that, when I'm showing anyone the K1000s and K701s, first I always put the first track in Ultrasone's test CD, which is a binaural recording and has a flute playing kind of behind you at the beginning. So far I think there hasn't been a single person that hasn't looked behind their shoulders when it started playing! I know that this effect doesn't require particularly good headphones, but the reactions are very funny to see.
 
When showing real music, the reactions are usually "wow, I feel like I'm in a show!" and "my god, it's like the voice is playing inside my head". Should be the opposite with the K1000, but nevermind!
 
Also, another thing that I do is letting people hear a Triport (that I got before I knew good sound) and then the AKGs or my SR-80is. That way they realize how crappy the Bose sounds!
 
Jan 4, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #657 of 6,432

wind016

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 19, 2009
Posts
3,987
Likes
233
 OMG, I miss my Ultrasone 3D tracks CD... My hard drive fried and I lost the CDs while moving.
 
You have a great plan there! I remember I used the Ultrasone CD to wow my friends. The water track is AMAZING XD and some of the ones with bands playing really trip out my friends.
 
Quote:
Nowadays I just show people my headphones without any major pretentions, I mean, I know they'll see they're good, but I don't expect them to realize how good they are.
 
A very funny thing that always happens is that, when I'm showing anyone the K1000s and K701s, first I always put the first track in Ultrasone's test CD, which is a binaural recording and has a flute playing kind of behind you at the beginning. So far I think there hasn't been a single person that hasn't looked behind their shoulders when it started playing! I know that this effect doesn't require particularly good headphones, but the reactions are very funny to see.
 
When showing real music, the reactions are usually "wow, I feel like I'm in a show!" and "my god, it's like the voice is playing inside my head". Should be the opposite with the K1000, but nevermind!
 
Also, another thing that I do is letting people hear a Triport (that I got before I knew good sound) and then the AKGs or my SR-80is. That way they realize how crappy the Bose sounds!



 
Jan 4, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #658 of 6,432

monoblocks

Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 26, 2004
Posts
56
Likes
5
When I bought my HD800 my wife thought I was certifiably nuts. Now I rarely get to use them since she's the one who's always hogging them for herself. Well, at least I can crank the Thiels in peace when she's got the Senns on.
 
Jan 4, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #659 of 6,432

Leonardo Drummond

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 31, 2010
Posts
253
Likes
72
Hahahaha it's really great to see their reactions, cause even though they're more like special effects, the results are impressive. Same with the General Image Test track in The Best of Chesky Jazz. Playing through speakers, it really sounds like the "band" goes in a circle around you. It's just astonishing! By the way, recently I uploaded Ultrasone's CD to a server for a friend, I'd be happy to send you the link if you wish.
I don't know if this is allowed, so moderators, if it isn't, please feel free to delete my post without prior notice!
 
Quote:
wind016 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

 OMG, I miss my Ultrasone 3D tracks CD... My hard drive fried and I lost the CDs while moving.
 
You have a great plan there! I remember I used the Ultrasone CD to wow my friends. The water track is AMAZING XD and some of the ones with bands playing really trip out my friends.

 

 
Wow, you've got Thiels! I've never heard one, but I've heard great things about them and think they look simply fantastic. Which ones have you got?
 
Quote:
When I bought my HD800 my wife thought I was certifiably nuts. Now I rarely get to use them since she's the one who's always hogging them for herself. Well, at least I can crank the Thiels in peace when she's got the Senns on.



 
Jan 4, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #660 of 6,432

disastermouse

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 29, 2010
Posts
2,001
Likes
293
Location
Arizona

Users who are viewing this thread

Top