Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Jul 15, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #3,541 of 4,655
  Immediately after saying you'll never spend any money on Beats and hating them, you complain about how they don't like your headphones. You are them.

You won't spend money on Beats even if you like their sound because you hate them.
They won't spend money on your headphones because they don't like the sound. They actually have preferences for their music. You choose brands.

Who's the audiophile here?

*Flies away clinging on ladder dangling from helicopter with cb3732*

Beats is a problem, not because it sounds ****, but because it costs more than it is worth.
There are better headphones than Beats at the same price level.

Jul 15, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #3,543 of 4,655
My non audiophile peeps who I speak of are not coming from beats. Just car audio junkees or general hardasses who need to crank it up.

2 different conversations there sort of. I was just chiming in my stance on beats because it was being discussed. THEN in a separate context or whatever I described what tends to happen when just anybody tries my stuff on. And I put the phones on for just a second exactly where my one friend had it. It was far too loud to possibly be really enjoyed by anyone.

Having said that there's no hard feelings. I didn't say I wouldn't try a set on. I would. I would listen well and I would even offer my approval if they impressed me. All I really said is I would never give them my money. thats right... still. And yes I believe there is always a better set out there for the money... than beats.

I dont hang out with anyone who happens to own beats. They scoff at the price of those along with anything else anyway.

Which I cant say I dont blame them. For the price of what some people still call mid level hi fi cans you can pick out a pretty decent system in your home or your car and get some air movin. Thats what my friends tend to do.

Jul 15, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #3,544 of 4,655
The solo still sounds terrible. The studios have noticably improved, i would say they have increased thier value from 80$ to around 130$. Even though they are still overpriced, i think the reason most of us despise beats is because they have started a trend of using headphones as a social statement. They buy them not for the sound usually, but for the ability to show off to others that they have an expensive and nice sounding pair of headphones. The sound is more of a perk than anything. This is what angers headfiers, as most of the beats lovers described above dont care if ur 200$ headphone sounds better, they arent beats and they view you as trying to look better than them with your better choice of a headphone, and thus gives negative feedback.

Jul 15, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #3,545 of 4,655
I learned that my friend the other day actually had a pair of v-moda m80s. We then began discussing the benefits of closed ear vs open ear. I was totally taken aback that he had dabbled in the world of headfi! It tickled me, to say the least 

Jul 15, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #3,547 of 4,655
  Immediately after saying you'll never spend any money on Beats and hating them, you complain about how they don't like your headphones. You are them.

You won't spend money on Beats even if you like their sound because you hate them.
They won't spend money on your headphones because they don't like the sound. They actually have preferences for their music. You choose brands.

Who's the audiophile here?

*Flies away clinging on ladder dangling from helicopter with cb3732*

​

Jul 15, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #3,548 of 4,655
disclaimer - I don't own beats, nor will I ever be. But I'm just annoyed at how "HURR DURR I HATE BEATS I AM AUDIOFIL DURR".

I'd be interested to hear what exactly your reasons are. That you also say you will never ever own a pair of beats. Also I'd like to point out my post above about how this is somewhat of a misunderstanding.

At any rate I cant exactly try everything not really having any can jams or good stores nearby. Once again nobody I know does own beats. None of my statement was based on direct experience with beats or anybody else comparing their beats to mine. I just think the look like toys and they're endorsed by dr dre. Shallow as that may be its enough for me.

Hey you know what. Youre right. Most of my friends think beats are silly too and would still take my recommendation on some akgs or some pro700s or good ol dt770s or m100s. Or whatever the hell denons or grados or senns or phillips or sony or yamaha. But NOT beats. because **** beats.   

My phones could have used a more powerful amp at the time. Thats what was clipping. But still he just plain had them unreasonably loud. Again this is not even a beats person anyway. That was me changing to the subject of the thread after my personal dig on why I hate beats. It really wasn't meant to be stirred into this thing like you think it was. I am happy with my phones. I think they are magical at any reasonable volume and when I got them it was an immediate wow effect. After doing much research looking for some all rounders. I landed exactly what I wanted. They just require a decent desktop amp and not a chu moy so much. I gave THAT to my friend along with a pair of the iems below "s1050a" that are better matched and gave my friend that tinnitus reinforcing peak volume he was looking for.

I see one of you does actually own some beats. Good for you. Im glad you both like certain sets and maybe they were actually worth it and whatever. I would be hard swayed I'll just put it that way. To believe that for the money and for my tastes that there wasn't something better. And personally I'm a little bit of a tried and true almost vintage kinda person. Even more hipster yet. Call it what you will.

Jul 16, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #3,549 of 4,655
The solo still sounds terrible. The studios have noticably improved, i would say they have increased thier value from 80$ to around 130$. Even though they are still overpriced, i think the reason most of us despise beats is because they have started a trend of using headphones as a social statement. They buy them not for the sound usually, but for the ability to show off to others that they have an expensive and nice sounding pair of headphones. The sound is more of a perk than anything. This is what angers headfiers, as most of the beats lovers described above dont care if ur 200$ headphone sounds better, they arent beats and they view you as trying to look better than them with your better choice of a headphone, and thus gives negative feedback.
I'd say its more like 50$ to 80$. A 50$ fun sound, to a 80$ audiophile sound. Yes. I've tried the studio 2.0's for about 30 minutes with my own music. :)

Jul 16, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #3,550 of 4,655
Quite a lots changed with beats - they are no longer with Monster for some time now- beats solo HD monochromatic followed by the new solo2 are excellent - I can't see why any v-moda fans wouldn't also like beats sound also, but some of the criticism of beats on head-fi is embarrassing it's so redundant - truth is most people slag off beats because majority of others here do - it's like being back at school - peer pressure - and I thought beats haters didn't approve of going with trends like they hold beats guilty of yet follow the trend of beats hating - pretty ironic - where's Alanis Morissette?

Honestly, the way haters go on you'd think beats was the antichrist :D

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/Jne9t8sHpUc[/VIDEO]​

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/x0wnd8B6O_I[/VIDEO]

Jul 16, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #3,552 of 4,655
Chiming in to the conversation of 'I hate Beats'. 

One of the biggest fall outs of the Apple acquisition by Beats would be that there would be more people saying that Beats is a great headphone and would continue buying beats. The other one which the Forbes article alluded to was Apple may be thinking of making the 3.5 mm jack go away and have a digital connector (a la Lightining) for the new Iphone 6 or 7.   

Methinks that the Beats acquisition would harm most of the headphone makers unless we start seeing better quality of sound reproduction at lower price. 

Jul 16, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #3,553 of 4,655
people hate beats because it is too expensive... this solo hd can be beaten by much much much cheaper headphones(30$ category)

Beats 60% domestic share of headphones over $100 and recently sold to Apple for 1 billion USD, suggest sales are good for beats so guess for all those hundreds of thousands/millions of beats buyers - they didn't agree with any of your points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back