Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
May 22, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #3,286 of 4,655

Talking about girlfriends..

I made my GF sell her beats pro a while ago, since she never used them and she wanted a real pair of headphones (After hearing my Hifiman HE-300 she was sold ^.^).
She was, just like me, looking for a Mr Speakers Mad Dog. But these aren't cheap (338 euro's if shipped from America to where we live). So today I started to search.. Within a few minutes, I've found the perfect can for her.
A Beyerdynamic DT770 32ohm!

You better hurry now, because they're around 3 or so Mad Dog 3.2's in the FS Forum including mine. I saw one for $225, mine is for sale for $280, and I can't remember about the last one. If you get one of the options, I think it could be worth it, since you would be breaking even with the Mad Dog for sale for $225, or you would be going $20-$30 over budget on buying from me. Who knows, it still beats buying from Mr. Speakers, since he has the 3-week wait and the shipping is ridicioulous. Not hating on Mr. Speakers though, just don't like the insane shipping payment of the Mad Dog's.

May 23, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #3,287 of 4,655
  You better hurry now, because they're around 3 or so Mad Dog 3.2's in the FS Forum including mine. I saw one for $225, mine is for sale for $280, and I can't remember about the last one. If you get one of the options, I think it could be worth it, since you would be breaking even with the Mad Dog for sale for $225, or you would be going $20-$30 over budget on buying from me. Who knows, it still beats buying from Mr. Speakers, since he has the 3-week wait and the shipping is ridicioulous. Not hating on Mr. Speakers though, just don't like the insane shipping payment of the Mad Dog's.

Thanks for the tip, but..
The problem is, for my Mad Dogs I still have to sell my beats, or save some money for them.. The beats have been for sale for months already, but most people interested in beats are not that smart, and think that cheaper conterfeits are the real deal.

Also I've never bought something from a person that doesn't live in the same country as me, so I'm kind of afraid of being scammed (Not calling you a scammer in any way, don't get me wrong!)

May 23, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #3,290 of 4,655
We're already weird when they learn how much we pay for our gear lol.

"Who in their right frame of mind will pay $xxx on (insert a hobby)."

Then they think about how much they pay for branded clothes that they probably wear less often than us using audio gear.... Awkward.

And yes, that's the retort I give when anyone gives me schiit on me spending money on audio.

May 23, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #3,291 of 4,655
Then they think about how much they pay for branded clothes that they probably wear less often than us using audio gear.... Awkward.

And yes, that's the retort I give when anyone gives me schiit on me spending money on audio.

But if they are good quality clothes, spending money on them can be justified.
wink.gif
 For example a good pair of shoes is one of the best things one could possibly spend money on, and I'm not talking about any fashionable sneakers, but proper shoes that might offer support for ankles, weather resistance, anti-smelly fabrics etc...
Just saying that audio is just one thing among millions, where spending ridiculous amounts of money can be justified. I could say that you can't get a good bicycle for under 1000€, and most of you would probably disagree and think it's just a bicycle. 
tongue.gif

May 23, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #3,292 of 4,655
I had bicycles that was 100 and last a very very long time. so yes you can get good ones under 1000 as long you know where to look same with clothes well in the usa that is, I gotten shoes from payless that lasted a long time and clothes from kmart,TJ max etc that I have still around in great shape too.

May 23, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #3,293 of 4,655
Yea I hate how people judge you on your purposes, I bought some new socks for $1600 a pair. People think I'm crazy, that's incredibly rude, maybe I prefer them to be made out of New Zealand Red deer?

And to be fair, if your socks aren't they're not really socks. They're just mass market consumer crap.

May 23, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #3,294 of 4,655
  I had bicycles that was 100 and last a very very long time. so yes you can get good ones under 1000 as long you know where to look same with clothes well in the usa that is, I gotten shoes from payless that lasted a long time and clothes from kmart,TJ max etc that I have still around in great shape too.

"I've had headphones that were $30 and they lasted a very long time, so yes, you can get good ones under $1000 as long you know where to look. I gotten headphones from best buy that lasted a long time that I have still around in great shape too."

That could literally be said for our hobby, computers, bikes, longboards, sports gear, etc. 

May 23, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #3,298 of 4,655
First off, I don't remember the exact beats he has or the ones that I heard. Most likely the ones I heard were the studio, off of memory. The ones he has I really am not sure of. 

About that quote though, you are most definitely not alone. The only headphones I ever put on and immediately liked were my sennheiser HD-280's. After hearing at best the sony XB-500's, these were easy to enjoy.  
On the other hand:

I was disappointed by the XB-500's the first time I heard them (before EQ turned out)
I was disappointed by the DT-880's when I heard them. (turns out I still am sort of a bass-head, and ouch the treble on these.)
I was disappointed by the HE-400's when I heard them. (same problem as above, and an even worse mistake, went open again.)
I was even disappointed to a certain degree by my M100s. 

Edit: By the way this is pretty much my entire list of headphones I have ever bought beyond earbuds. So I hate them at first almost everrry time. 

These all have similarities in why I didn't like them. The first and easiest to jump on is the price. It is hard dealing with disappointment on such an expensive item. But very high expectations, because of the price. Also I believe break in was a solid reason. I have noticed with break in it is always the bass that falls into place. These all improved over time. 

Ah, good to hear this haha
I even hate the hd700 and hd800 due this reason :frowning2: (and no proper setup that was used with them) although everybody seems to love them.
Also, for some odd reason, I find almost all highs and mids sounds the same, but I'm still pretty new to this hobby. Did you also suffer from this?

PS: Very sorry of going off-topic again, atleast this time I'm not the only one.

Bass is the most noticable at first. Its usually all you can hear that is different from two headphones. After spending enough time with a certain pair though, you kinda just start to realise what is different.

Also it is extremely hard to compare headphones by memory, especially if you listen to the same songs. My 1000$ signature djs didnt sound much better from memory than beats studios when i listened to the studios. Then i put mine back on and go

Oh yeah :D

May 24, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #3,300 of 4,655
Bass is the most noticable at first. Its usually all you can hear that is different from two headphones. After spending enough time with a certain pair though, you kinda just start to realise what is different.

Also it is extremely hard to compare headphones by memory, especially if you listen to the same songs. My 1000$ signature djs didnt sound much better from memory than beats studios when i listened to the studios. Then i put mine back on and go

Oh yeah
biggrin.gif

Yeah, comparison by memory isn't very accurate. Same can be said for sight, seeing is not always believing. Our brain constantly "post-process" things that is happening around us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back