Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Mar 17, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #1,936 of 4,655
Clearly an analogy but he's kind of wrong IMO. Filet is by far my favorite cut of steak and I have eaten nearly every cut from nearly every good steak joint in Louisville.

I like a good steak more than chicken, but only on occasion. It's like dark chocolate. Normally I eat cheap milk chocolate because the dark chocolate is too much to eat every single time. Too rich.

That analogy says to me that he has his favorite type of high end headphone and he preaches to all the other audiophiles that his preferred headphone is the best, and they disagree (filet/sirloin lovers). Where the chicken guy is a non-audiophile, who thinks those crazy headphones sound pretty good.

Or maybe I've been in English class too much :D

Mar 17, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #1,937 of 4,655
I personally enjoy chuck eye.

Mar 17, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #1,938 of 4,655
  No problem. Just send me your address. I'll put a bunch of steaks in the mail to you, from the US. I'll send them in great condition--"like new in box." You just let me know what condition they're in when you get them, OK? But you have to promise not to knock my trader feedback rating!

wow are you sure about this? I'm getting excited all of the sudden, like a little kid that got free sweets as a present

Mar 17, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #1,939 of 4,655
I was at Target the other day and spotted some Sony IEMs that used their hybrid tips. I only saw a red and blue color though, so asked an employee if they carried them in black. He said they didn't, and i should get skullcandy jibs because they were better anyways (x

Mar 17, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #1,940 of 4,655
What I like is to have a good steak, a NY strip. Some people like fillet mignon, or sirloin. They have absolutely no idea what they're talking about. Even worse, some idiots prefer chicken or fish. And the vegetarians--they don't even eat meat at all! That really gets me--what complete morons. Once I gave a chicken-eating friend of mine a piece of my steak, and he looked at me: "Whoah, man, that's awesome!" I just smiled, and let him go back to his chicken. But it totally confirmed that I'd been right all along. Thank god for Steak-Fi-dot-org!

Oh I get it :wink:

not really

Mar 17, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #1,941 of 4,655

My rule for clothing purchases is that I must wear it at least once for every dollar spent.

Along that same vein, I think I should institute a rule for myself for head-fi spending... maybe minimum 1 hour per dollar spent.

If I were to follow that rule, then I'd probably be the one who has spent the least money on headphones/hour of usage on this forum lol.
Let see....
My most expensive pair(s)
UE6000 - $280 (2 pairs, one was $200, the other $80), use them on average 2 hours/day for a year = $0.38/hr.
Klipsch Image One - $100, 2.5 years old though stopped using them 6 months ago so that (@ 1.5 hour/day average usage) = $0.09/hr.
And the rest of my IEM's (Jvc fa1x,3x, frd80, klipsch s3) are all $40 or less and get used a **** ton by me and others.

I'm actually quite happy with this result lol. And seeing as how I plan to use the UE 6000 for at least another year as my go to headphone, the cost/hr can only get lower. 
L3000.gif

Hmm, it would be interesting to see what the average for the big spenders here is lol. 

Mar 17, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #1,942 of 4,655
... Lol. Probably 10$/hour. Just sayin. Maybe more.

Mar 17, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #1,944 of 4,655
  If I were to follow that rule, then I'd probably be the one who has spent the least money on headphones/hour of usage on this forum lol.
Let see....
UE6000 - $280 (2 pairs, one was $200, the other $80), use them on average 2 hours/day for a year = $0.38/hr.
Klipsch Image One - $100, 2.5 years old though stopped using them 6 months ago so that (@ 1.5 hour/day average usage) = $0.09/hr.
And the rest of my IEM's (Jvc fa1x,3x, frd80, klipsch s3) are all $40 or less and get used a **** ton by me and others.

I'm actually quite happy with this result lol. And seeing as how I plan to use the UE 6000 for at least another year as my go to headphone, the cost/hr can only get lower. 
L3000.gif

Hmm, it would be interesting to see what the average for the big spenders here is lol. 

Give me time, LOL. I'm in my M100s about 8 hours a day, sometimes more. Even with the Verza after a few months I'm gonna be down to pennies.

Mar 17, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #1,945 of 4,655
Let see....

L3000.gif

oopsie.reading this i better not state my costs then also according to this calculation..as then some of u guys would be strapped to a heart control machine readin that
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #1,946 of 4,655

oopsie.reading this i better not state my costs then also according to this calculation..as then some of u guys would be strapped to a heart control machine readin that
biggrin.gif

LOL I don't think the "dollars per hour" thing works anyway. I'd say "enjoyment per hour". If you dropped $1000 on the cans and $1500 on the amp but you feel absolutely in love with the sound, you aren't "losing" to someone who spent less and listens more. 

If you ask me, as long as you're enjoying the experience and don't regret the purchase, you did it right. Don't stress over numbers. 

Mar 17, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #1,947 of 4,655
Let see....

I'm actually quite happy with this result lol. And seeing as how I plan to use the UE 6000 for at least another year as my go to headphone, the cost/hr can only get lower. :L3000:

I was calculating my most recent purchase which is about 4 months ago and I was like "yeap! According to that rule, I can have slight upgrade now :D"

Hehe... That rule is actually a very good reason for an upgrade in case your parents/wife/girlfriend or even your siblings possibly your financial man don't allow you to upgrade xD

Mar 17, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #1,948 of 4,655
Holy Schiit my friend! lol that must one expensive set up! I feel even better about my costs now haha
oh, not me. I use 120$ of equipment. Lol. I was talking about some of the big spenders... My headphone price/hours used is probably 0.05$/hour. And the amp is probably 0.08$/hour.

Mar 17, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #1,949 of 4,655
With 50$ cans, and 60$ amp. JVC HA-M55X with FiiO E11 Kilimanjaro.

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #1,950 of 4,655
oh, not me. I use 120$ of equipment. Lol. I was talking about some of the big spenders... My headphone price/hours used is probably 0.05$/hour. And the amp is probably 0.08$/hour.

And just think, there are people using the earpods they got with their iPhones. Their headphone expense/usage ratio is $0.00! LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back