Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Mar 17, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #1,951 of 4,655

LOL I don't think the "dollars per hour" thing works anyway. I'd say "enjoyment per hour". If you dropped $1000 on the cans and $1500 on the amp but you feel absolutely in love with the sound, you aren't "losing" to someone who spent less and listens more. 

If you ask me, as long as you're enjoying the experience and don't regret the purchase, you did it right. Don't stress over numbers. 

Agreed completely. It just helps put the actual cost into perspective. Of course, anyone who doesn't enjoy music wouldn't ever come close to buying relatively expensive headphones (~$100). It just helps compare it to everything else, like movies, video games, etc. Also makes for an excellent excuse for making an upgrade should one feel compelled to do so (and have to justify it to someone else). For example: Say you're married (
deadhorse.gif
), and your wife hates this habit and forbids you to purchase anymore headphones, even though your current ones broke after years of service. Simply compare this, to say, a pair of her many, many -expensive- shoes (lets face it, she only wore those 5 times before they were "out" and she bought something new that was "in"). BAM! She can no longer stop you because over the usage, you got more for your money even though you both enjoy both things equally. Your wife ended up with the more expensive product/hobby in the end.

Though personally, every hour I have spent with my UE6000 has been enjoyable. So for me, the $0.39/hr CDN was/is more than worth it and compared to other, more fleeting things (example: movies), make me happy that the cost for so much enjoyment is so low. It certainly adds to it.

Hopefully my rambling made some sense lol.

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #1,952 of 4,655

And just think, there are people using the earpods they got with their iPhones. Their headphone expense/usage ratio is $0.00! LOL

In this case, isn't the cost factored into the purchase of the idevice? But yeah lol, As long as they don't break and you enjoy the sound, free for the win lol

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #1,953 of 4,655

oopsie.reading this i better not state my costs then also according to this calculation..as then some of u guys would be strapped to a heart control machine readin that
biggrin.gif

Aww man! Now I'm curious. Hold on, let me go find a pacemaker....
Okay, I'm ready. Tell me!!!!!!!!! lol

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #1,954 of 4,655
  Aww man! Now I'm curious. Hold on, let me go find a pacemaker....
Okay, I'm ready. Tell me!!!!!!!!! lol

a gentleman doesnt talk about money or his women..but its a bit more then 1000usd
rolleyes.gif

if ur interested..check the review about my new rig that i just finished (my first one ever review..my fingers hurt!) thats noted under this post in my signature...
i am sure u can then guess what the costs could be..and another hint..the amp is based on a certain Blue Circle NSL speaker amp roaming about in reviews on google
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #1,956 of 4,655
Ha ha! Lol. Schiit amps.

Mar 18, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #1,958 of 4,655
Guys, I've got some great news!!! So today, my girlfriend was over and I made her try my rig (HE-500, Audio-GD NFB 10 33, HPL OCC Balanced cable) and I let her play a few songs of her choice (mostly mainstream). She closed her eyes in bliss and started singing along. And then I tried playing some Savant - Bada Bing and she loved it! I talked to her about it afterwards and she said "they're realllly clear and it seemed like it was live!!" She also said she totally gets why I would spend over $1,000 on the setup. She also said that if she had that setup, she'd never take the headphones off. Here's the setup in question: http://imgur.com/a/s0rvc Do you guys think she's a keeper? :D

Mar 18, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #1,959 of 4,655
Guys, I've got some great news!!! So today, my girlfriend was over and I made her try my rig (HE-500, Audio-GD NFB 10 33, HPL OCC Balanced cable) and I let her play a few songs of her choice (mostly mainstream). She closed her eyes in bliss and started singing along. And then I tried playing some Savant - Bada Bing and she loved it! I talked to her about it afterwards and she said "they're realllly clear and it seemed like it was live!!" She also said she totally gets why I would spend over $1,000 on the setup. She also said that if she had that setup, she'd never take the headphones off. Here's the setup in question: http://imgur.com/a/s0rvc Do you guys think she's a keeper? :D

This is a heart warming story. I shed one manly tear

Mar 18, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #1,960 of 4,655

Just do it xD but be prepared to buy second set for her commute :D (not like only the husband getting the goodies xP)

Mar 18, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #1,962 of 4,655
Mar 18, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #1,964 of 4,655
The Lumia 1020 is by far my favorite phone thus far.
i read the oppo find 7 (the brand of the wonderful players) will be out of this world with unbelievable specs..and the looks..yummy! Just google for it.. Maybe i could myself get one..the specs are to die for..especially the screen resolution... Its not out yet..and it looks not as plasticy as my S4 for sure.

Mar 18, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #1,965 of 4,655
i read the oppo find 7 (the brand of the wonderful players) will be out of this world with unbelievable specs..and the looks..yummy! Just google for it.. Maybe i could myself get one..the specs are to die for..especially the screen resolution... Its not out yet..and it looks not as plasticy as my S4 for sure.

I've been eyeing Oppo phones for awhile now, but every time I take a picture, the Lumia 1020 reminds me of how amazing technology is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back