Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Aug 16, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #3,736 of 4,655
Well most cans in that range are much more sturdy. Metal and all. 
oh you mean like sennheiser HD598? Oh what about the AKG K702!? Beyerdynamic DT770? Hifiman HE-300? But in all seriousness, plastic is a very resilient material. Hence why most headphones are plastic.
I'm talking about $199-250 on ear headphones.

You can't compare onear portables to open headphones..

AKG on ear I forgot what are model are metal I believe, On Ear Momentum are also mostly metal,V-Moda XS is also metal, HD25 Aluminum.

The Beyerdynamic on ears I'm not sure about, and HD25 II is plastic.

Aug 16, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #3,737 of 4,655
oh you mean like sennheiser HD598? Oh what about the AKG K702!? Beyerdynamic DT770? Hifiman HE-300? But in all seriousness, plastic is a very resilient material. Hence why most headphones are plastic.

Those are open backed home listening headphone. You don't need metal. They are huge and using metal will be too heavy to wear.

Aug 16, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #3,738 of 4,655
AKG K545, Logitech UE6000, Yamaha pro 500... Anyway, plastic is a very durable material as I've said... A lot of vehicles are mainly plastic. Nothing wrong with using it. Plus, aluminum isn't the most durable metal around. Just saying.

Aug 16, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #3,739 of 4,655
  Have beats solved the problem of the plastic headband breaking over time from just normal wear on your head?

May be a poor indicator of whether it is fixed or not, but the display stand at my local electronics superstore had 4 out of 4 broken headbands. They didn't sound tolerable either, maybe because it was damaged, maybe the source is horrible, but certainly wasn't going to attract more than a few seconds of wear.

The Momentums on the other hand, not too bad given the much fairer price.

Aug 16, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #3,740 of 4,655
AKG K545, Logitech UE6000, Yamaha pro 500... Anyway, plastic is a very durable material as I've said... A lot of vehicles are mainly plastic. Nothing wrong with using it. Plus, aluminum isn't the most durable metal around. Just saying.

I am pretty sure the K545 is metal. I remember trying it. 

Plastic isn't very durable, depending how it is made. Nothing is really wrong with it but it is more likely to break. My HD558 developed cracks on it. I have always had plastic break but never metal to this day. 

Aug 16, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #3,741 of 4,655

Have beats solved the problem of the plastic headband breaking over time from just normal wear on your head?

May be a poor indicator of whether it is fixed or not, but the display stand at my local electronics superstore had 4 out of 4 broken headbands. They didn't sound tolerable either, maybe because it was damaged, maybe the source is horrible, but certainly wasn't going to attract more than a few seconds of wear.

The Momentums on the other hand, not too bad given the much fairer price.

A lot of the SkullCandy and Beats tend to be broken at demo stores. I should take pictures. 

Aug 16, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #3,742 of 4,655
I am pretty sure the K545 is metal. I remember trying it. 

Plastic isn't very durable, depending how it is made. Nothing is really wrong with it but it is more likely to break. My HD558 developed cracks on it. I have always had plastic break but never metal to this day. 
hmm... I thought the K545 was plastic? Oh well. Yes metal is tougher... And I've only seen one broken headphone on display out of all the best buys, walmarts etc. It was actually at a target I was at. It was a beats solo HD. But that's it. All I've seen. Plastic will break... But you must put it under stress, or the design must put it under stress in an area that is weak. I know the original beats had this problem. Anyways, if its designed correctly with good strain reliefs, then I see no problem. Newer beats seem to be. My friend has a studio 2.0. It has a curved headband, thicker plastic... Just an overall sturdier feel.

Aug 17, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #3,744 of 4,655
Have you considered that Beats, being the most bought headphone, tend to be the most tried headphone? Imagine 500 kids at Best Buy and their daddies are busy looking at TVs, which headphone do you think the kid will try out? You can take a portable headphone and use it indoors, I don't get the point. A portable headphone has the option to be used outside, non-portable headphones do not. Having the option is a positive thing regardless.

There really are worse headphones with probably worse build qualities, check out any headset from Razer. Are we trying to pin every possible negative regarding Beats onto Beats because they really suck THAT MUCH, or because they're so mainstream and so many people think it's the best in the world to the point of annoyance?

Aug 17, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #3,745 of 4,655
Can we have a separate Beats bashing/discussion thread instead of flooding this one with page after page of offtopic? I'd rather read (often funny) stories about audiophile and non-audiophile worlds clashing than why Beats do or don't suck.

Aug 17, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #3,749 of 4,655
Can we have a separate Beats bashing/discussion thread instead of flooding this one with page after page of offtopic? I'd rather read (often funny) stories about audiophile and non-audiophile worlds clashing than why Beats do or don't suck.

Agree. This topic turned into a place where a bunch of idiots come to show off their "superiority" by writting stuck up and ignorant comments about headphones they've never heard in their life. Because we all know that saying "beats suck lol" instantly turns you into a engineer with 20 years of working experience in headphone development.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back