Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Jun 11, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #3,451 of 4,655
My son had been wasting earphones like John Travolta had been wasting gangsters in the "From Paris with Love" movie. Fortunately those crappy fake iPhone plugs or similar didn't make much of a dent in the purse. So one day I decided it's time to "end his suffering" by getting him some decent cans. I wanted him to have open headphones, else I feared that he'd loose contact with the world around him. The best I could find for him were the AKG K142 HD semi-open headphones.

Not sure these cans qualify for high-end, but at any case he's sold. He drags them everywhere and is super happy with the sound. Never thought he'd care.

Jun 11, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #3,452 of 4,655
My son had been wasting earphones like John Travolta had been wasting gangsters in the "From Paris with Love" movie. Fortunately those crappy fake iPhone plugs or similar didn't make much of a dent in the purse. So one day I decided it's time to "end his suffering" by getting him some decent cans. I wanted him to have open headphones, else I feared that he'd loose contact with the world around him. The best I could find for him were the AKG K142 HD semi-open headphones.

Not sure these cans qualify for high-end, but at any case he's sold. He drags them everywhere and is super happy with the sound. Never thought he'd care.

Congrats! xD

Jun 11, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #3,453 of 4,655
I thought about getting my older bro some closed back headphones like DT770 pro-32s or something affordable, tho I doubt he would care enough since he does uses skullcandy headphones, I forgot which ones exactly but their cheaper end ones. I know what type of music he listen to so it wont be hard. Maybe I wont have to hear his rap and gangster rap whenever i go over to vist

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #3,455 of 4,655
I have discovered there are cheaper less expensive and less addictive hobbies then being an audiophile.. Crack cocaine for example..
smily_headphones1.gif

If you've got the brains, you could even make some money off of it.

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #3,457 of 4,655
Too much hobby to cover, too little cash to feed them all..

Cameras, audio..

Might be getting a guitar somewhere down a road.. 
eek.gif

Jun 11, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #3,458 of 4,655
It is altogether true that there are many really expensive hobbies involving the acquisition of material things, but you don't always create the same monster you and me had become with headphone gear. It takes a willing and fertile collectors mindset to get consumed by this hobby. Suggesting a only better headphone may be result in just that, a single step and the recipients may be happy and quite satisfied with it. For instance I don't know that smoking some weed will result in a heroine and crack addiction if you want an analogy. So get her the phones and then tell her getting something "better" will be exponentially more expensive and to forget about it, because of the need to upgrade the entire system, it is obvious that becoming an audiophile has its downsides.. Unless she just can't say no of course, then just tell her the slope is slippery and has nearly bankrupted many avid audiophiles. Live with what you got. (advice I never had taken except when imperative. )

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #3,459 of 4,655
Let my younger sister listen to my B&O H6 the other day, then I let her listen to my SR60i modded a few days ago. Every now and then, she ask to borrow the Grado. It's impressive how Grado have not fail to impress anyone!

Jun 12, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #3,461 of 4,655
For me it wasn't grado, it was audio techinca then AKG and beyerdynamic made it worst..

Jun 12, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #3,463 of 4,655
Beyer was my first can, my westone 3 come before that.

Got my beyer because it's more convenient than my w3 when using my computer.

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #3,464 of 4,655
for me it was my friend's srh940 believe it or not, it showed me how lacking in detail my hd202 is (given by the same friend as a bday gift), then i went to a modded hd558 from there.
got an MS1 later, and planning to get a custom made custom one pro for portable use

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #3,465 of 4,655

That's how I justify costs for the higher end headphones.  Not just the sound, but build and durability.  Spend a few hundred on quality pair or buy 10 crappy ones?  SRH840 lasted me many years before finally broke, but that was from constant shoving them into my backpacks, I was not kind to them.  AD900x still look pristine to me and I don't have headphone stand, I expect them to last me another 10 years, but I'll probably upgrade or get something different by then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back