Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Jun 5, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #3,391 of 4,655
I sure they wont stop with shoes matching the colors,  Next time you see them, there gonna be dressed all Black or  bright red to match the bose or beats headphones. Which would been even more tacky.  Dont worry you be grinning when they get hearing lost from all of that boomy bloated bass.

Jun 5, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #3,392 of 4,655
  I sure they wont stop with shoes matching the colors,  Next time you see them, there gonna be dressed all Black or  bright red to match the bose or beats headphones. Which would been even more tacky.  Dont worry you be grinning when they get hearing lost from all of that boomy bloated bass.

You're right. One particular person dresses in all red (an aspiring tennis player to boot)..And his tennis racquet is........ red (no points for guessing this)...

Jun 5, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #3,394 of 4,655
  Soon enough, he'll own a red car and a red house just to match his red beats studio.  lol

Red profile picture 
wink.gif
 haha jk

Jun 5, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #3,395 of 4,655

scary thought... I am afraid it works this way indeed. I guess it is like with cigarettes and processed food, you just make yourself believe it is good for you.

Well, scary depends on which side of the fence one is. I have a bunch of acquaintances at the gym that make a virtue of their Beats (and Bose)HPs with matching color shoes 
biggrin.gif
. They noticed my V-Moda XS and gave it a try. After one minute (or less) they ripped it off their heads declaring "what a boring sound'... I just had to grin and bear it...

Boring? ha what

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #3,396 of 4,655
Well...I'd kind of have to agree. They weren't the most energetic to my ears. Definitely above the AE2 (even more boring sound) in terms of sound quality, and they're what I feel like the Mixrs wanted to be, but instead Monster turned up the treble too much.

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #3,397 of 4,655
Well...I'd kind of have to agree. They weren't the most energetic to my ears. Definitely above the AE2 (even more boring sound) in terms of sound quality, and they're what I feel like the Mixrs wanted to be, but instead they turned up the treble too much.
I have yet to hear complaints about the treble being turned up too much.. you're talking the XS? I heard the M80 back when I wasn't an audiophile and I remember being impressed. Comments like this make me wonder whether I should get the HD25s or XS.

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #3,398 of 4,655
I have yet to hear complaints about the treble being turned up too much.. you're talking the XS? I heard the M80 back when I wasn't an audiophile and I remember being impressed. Comments like this make me wonder whether I should get the HD25s or XS.

Oops, sentence structure error on my part. The Mixrs had too much treble. The XS was more balanced, but sounded boring/off to me because of some weirdness in the 4kHzish region. I have a review of them going up on Headfonics in a couple weeks, but the general gist of it is: They sound good enough to recommend them over a number of other portable $200 headphones, like the Amperior (Great for its time, but they're rather harsh to my wimpy, warm-biased ears. Then again, they've been really easy to find around $110 which is ridiculous), B&W P3, and Momentum On Ear, but they definitely have their compromises to be so small. Just don't expect them to sound better than your HD558 and you'll be fine.

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #3,399 of 4,655

Oops, sentence structure error on my part. The Mixrs had too much treble. The XS was more balanced, but sounded boring/off to me because of some weirdness in the 4kHzish region. I have a review of them going up on Headfonics in a couple weeks, but the general gist of it is: They sound good enough to recommend them over a number of other portable $200 headphones, like the Amperior (Great for its time, but they're rather harsh to my wimpy, warm-biased ears. Then again, they've been really easy to find around $110 which is ridiculous), B&W P3, and Momentum On Ear, but they definitely have their compromises to be so small. Just don't expect them to sound better than your HD558 and you'll be fine.
I dont expect them to sound better but I have to say my PortaPro is still my favorite headphone for rock, it does it in a much more fun way than my 558s ever could. Maybe I'll love the XS who knows. Thanks for clearing that up. I heard the one ear momentum and the bass makes guitars sound too muddy.

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #3,400 of 4,655
My PortaPro (the less retro-looking black Best Buy version) has actually convinced more people to delve into the hobby than people who have used my more expensive gear. It's amazing how these little things can sound more fun than headphones that cost more than ten times them. 

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #3,401 of 4,655
My PortaPro (the less retro-looking black Best Buy version) has actually convinced more people to delve into the hobby than people who have used my more expensive gear. It's amazing how these little things can sound more fun than headphones that cost more than ten times them. 
definitely! I wish there was a full size like it.. I was thinking maybe a Philips Fidelo X1.

Jun 7, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #3,404 of 4,655
  Well...I'd kind of have to agree. They weren't the most energetic to my ears. Definitely above the AE2 (even more boring sound) in terms of sound quality, and they're what I feel like the Mixrs wanted to be, but instead Monster turned up the treble too much.

Well, the Beats had/have booming bass which has a real impact right off the bat. But I fatigued from it pretty soon and sold my Pro two years ago. Since then I prefer a more neutral sound with a bit of warmth and my current "holdings" kind of reflect that. I don't think I could go back to that booming sound again (which is why I gifted the HE 400 to my nephew).

Jun 7, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #3,405 of 4,655

IMHO the PortaPro sounds worse than either the Beats Pro or Beats Studio. But then again I don't blame them since they're dirt cheap. Just worried about how people kept suggesting them for aspiring audiophiles when the KSC-75 sounds a lot better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back