Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Apr 6, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #316 of 4,655
Quote:
Quote:
So this is a little bit off-topic, but really amazing. My little sister (turns 4 on the 8th) grabbed my Classic and said she wanted to listen to music (she is really smart)... So I gave her some Panasonic headphones with a really long cord so she could dance around and walk around the room without destroying my iPod. I played Bulls On Parade and she liked it, then Know Your Enemy and she liked it too, same thing with By The Way and Smells Like Teen Spirit (I was trying to see if she could identify anything). So then I tried with MGMT, and I played Kids... She said "Juanse! (My nickname as you can see in my username) I love this song! *starts to "sing" the synth from the main riff*. It's my favourite song! And she played it from top to bottom like 6 times. I just love her, she will have good taste, and hopefully good audio quality appreciation. Isn't it amazing?

Haha, did that to my sis a year ago and now she has a UM3x and shes only 12...

Nice! UM3x is very impressive, cow
size]

Apr 7, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #317 of 4,655
I managed to convert a beats freak with a $30 pair of Sony MDR-MA300's.

We were in class and he started poking fun at these fairly massive headphones, and I told him that I'd much rather have some decent quality at a low price than blow $300 on some beats fashion accessories.  This got him thoroughly angry, being a beats owner himself.  I had him test out my pair of headphones (bear in mind, I paid all of $30 for them) and after ONE SONG he said with a rather defeated look, "You're right, the beats are really over-priced."

On the other hand, I've had countless people insist that their beats were superior, even when I pointed out to one guy that his beats had some major crackling issues (probably from being put on UNGODLY volume levels for extended periods of time).

When it comes to the unwashed masses, you win some and you lose some.

Apr 7, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #318 of 4,655
Quote:
On the other hand, I've had countless people insist that their beats were superior, even when I pointed out to one guy that his beats had some major crackling issues (probably from being put on UNGODLY volume levels for extended periods of time).

If he'd bought T50RPs or Mad Dogs he wouldn't have that problem. 3W max input power. :)

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #319 of 4,655
My friend makes music in FL studio, at the time a (week or so ago) he was using a decent speaker system, I let him try my M50s and he was pretty impressed. He ended buying a pair this weekend! I've also converted 2 friends from Bose and Beats to wanting some Technicas, AKGs, or V Moda's

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #320 of 4,655
My sisters friend was over and asked me about my DT990 and the "funny looking thing I had them plugged into". She thought they were funny looking (compared to beats). So I made her listen to some Imagine Dragons through them. She listened to all 3 minutes and 7 seconds of Radioactive and took my headphones off and said, "I like those" a couple times, then walked away...

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #321 of 4,655
I showed around my HE-400. I dont think it was a good idea because of the treble peak and upper mid dip. Wish I can let other people try my ES3X :)

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #322 of 4,655
I let my new friend try out some headphones at the local audio shop.
First i let him taste some $30-50 budget options. He thought they were nice.
Then i took out the M50 for him to try.

*5 minutes later*
"So how was it?
smily_headphones1.gif
"

"Its like i'm at a concert!! I got all full off goosebumps!"
basshead.gif

After that i let him try some other headphones, he liked the SRH840 the most at the end of the day.
I sense a new and upcoming audiophile
tongue.gif

Apr 21, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #323 of 4,655
I showed around my HE-400. I dont think it was a good idea because of the treble peak and upper mid dip. Wish I can let other people try my ES3X :)
Yeah I know that feel bro, there are sometimes I just wanna shove my jh13s into my friends ear and play some dub step telling her "THIS IS HOW DUBSTEP SHOULD SOUND, WITHOUT THE OVERPOWERING MIDBASS, THE MUDDY MIDRANGE AND NON EXISTENT TREBLE!" MUAHAHAHA :cool:

Apr 21, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #324 of 4,655
Quote:
Yeah I know that feel bro, there are sometimes I just wanna shove my jh13s into my friends ear and play some dub step telling her "THIS IS HOW DUBSTEP SHOULD SOUND, WITHOUT THE OVERPOWERING MIDBASS, THE MUDDY MIDRANGE AND NON EXISTENT TREBLE!" MUAHAHAHA
cool.gif

Lol this is my exact reaction whenever people talk about bass, I wish I could let them hear the Heir 8A, my LCD2s don't do bass like these.....

Apr 21, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #325 of 4,655
Yea I hear you, people tend to think bass is suppose to be one note and very overpowered with all that muddy sound. Instead of being detail and clean. I hear it all the time when they drive into the apt parketing lot with that Rattle BOOM BOOOM.

Apr 21, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #326 of 4,655
I used to hate bass. Hearing people drive by with a crappy subwoofer installed in their trunk, or going over to their house and hearing their Bose brand home theater system. It literally grates on my ears. I used to have to leave electronics stores when people would go over to the audio section and play those ugly shelf stereos and pump up the bass (which happens way too often). Then I heard good clean bass on Sennheiser headphones (HD 558) and was surprised to find I liked it. I'm pleased with it on my current system, and even disappointed when I can't hear it from my source. Wish more people could hear what clean bass sounds like.

Apr 21, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #327 of 4,655
Quote:
Yea I hear you, people tend to think bass is suppose to be one note and very overpowered with all that muddy sound. Instead of being detail and clean. I hear it all the time when they drive into the apt parketing lot with that Rattle BOOM BOOOM.

This popular belief certainly did NOT help me figure out what "good bass" meant in audiophile circles, given that I was coming from headphones like the AD700 and Stax Lambda that aren't exactly known for appealing to bassheads.

Then I got the chance to audition the HE-400, widely renowned for its quality bass reproduction, and that's when it set in - there's a LOT in common between the ol' SR-Lambda and the HE-400 when it comes to clean bass presentation, just that the overall frequency response is generally opposite between the two, which skews perceived volume levels.

Most notably, the HE-400 didn't seem to impart boomy bass when there was none in the source to begin with. If it was there, it'll kick, alright, but ONLY if the bass is there and emphasized to begin with. Otherwise, it sounds relatively integrated and unintrusive. Just goes to show that people kind of expect it to be boomy and exaggerated more than it should be, I guess.

Apr 22, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #328 of 4,655
I was also bass-shy before I heard well-presented bass. Until then, bass went either unheard as an amorphous blob below the 'real' music or, even worse, a bull in a china shop that bled into the mids and diminished clarity.

Now that I can hear bass that has layers that don't mess with the other frequencies, I can truly appreciate it.

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #329 of 4,655
Last time I went home, I brought my K701 and showed it to my brother. His reaction was "no, I'm not putting on". I asked him why, and he answered: "once I put it on, I will no longer be able to listen to my own headphones". LOL I'm glad that he knows the truth about audio. Sadly, it took me a purchase of HD800 before I personally realized that I can no longer stand all my old headphones. 

My brother has a HD201 and ATH-M30. He's already on the path, I should be able to convert him in no time :devil:

Apr 22, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #330 of 4,655
Last time I went home, I brought my K701 and showed it to my brother. His reaction was "no, I'm not putting on". I asked him why, and he answered: "once I put it on, I will no longer be able to listen to my own headphones". LOL I'm glad that he knows the truth about audio.

Your brother is lucky to be so smart. 
duggehsmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back