Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Apr 1, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #286 of 4,655
Something like an ibud to a hawaii blue amp?
biggrin.gif

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #287 of 4,655
Haha no, he just runs them out of his iphone. I think there's a chance that he doesn't want to hear something better than the stock buds, so he mentally blocks any improvements he would otherwise hear. Maybe he just doesn't want to enter into something else that will take all his money.
tongue.gif

Apr 2, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #288 of 4,655
Ah i see... Well is is going to be saving a lot of cash staying that way if you think about it
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #290 of 4,655
Quote:

But they have

High Energy Neodymium Drivers

Efficient Neodymium drivers reproduce clear mid-range and low-end sound.

Multi Layer diaphragms

High quality large driver units accurately reproduce a broad, dynamic frequency range.

They have to be good.

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #293 of 4,655
Quote:
I love the style of the white version of those. But not the sound.

I agree there. I know more than one person with those little white on-ears, and they're comfy, have a decent cable, and look good. Too bad they sound like crap and I've already used the HD201 drivers that Coq de Combat gave me on a WeSC.

Apr 3, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #294 of 4,655
I don't know if this counts, because this friend is already interested, and somewhat knowledgeable about, hi-fi headphones. We went to Best Buy and tried out some of their floor models, the meh stuff like the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro and HD 380 Pro, as well as the Beats. He seemed indifferent towards most of those sets. Then, we went into the Magnolia section to try the actual AKG, Audio-Technica, and audiophile-level Sennheiser sets. He liked all of them, and decided he loved the A900x. Then we went home, and he tried my K702s connected to my soundcard. We were able to determine that the sources at Best Buy were amped.

A funny story, but all of the Beats display models are broken. Three of the sets don't even function. Only the right channel worked on the one that did. He tried them, and scoffed at the unit being all bass, and how poor the build quality was. He's now saving up for his own A900x.

Apr 3, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #295 of 4,655
ERM....

I just ordered my first set of decent headphones....KRK KNS 8400...

But I found it hard to convince myself to spend that much money thinking can they really be that much better....I have only ever listened to £20 or less models in the past and these are £130 (famed expensive live in in the UK) AM I IN FOR A SHOCK? WILL THEY REALLY MAKE ME SEE THE LIGHT OR RATHER HEAR IT?

Although I can understand that a £200 headphone is better than a £20. One and can see why people spend that much on them.....I CANT GET IT THROUGH MY HEAD WHY U WOULD NEED £1000 HEADPHONES!,!!!

surely spending that much can't be justifed?....no head phone can be so much better its worth that much surely?....

I hope I can tell the diffeence and become "convereted".

I asked around and did my research though so they defo seem the right phones for me but not sure how much of an improvement they will actually be....

I currently use £15 Sony XD200's and think they sound fine!

Apr 3, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #296 of 4,655
Quote:
ERM....

But I found it hard to convince myself to spend that much money thinking can they really be that much better....I have only ever listened to £20 or less models in the past and these are £130 (famed expensive live in in the UK) AM I IN FOR A SHOCK? WILL THEY REALLY MAKE ME SEE THE LIGHT OR RATHER HEAR IT?

Although I can understand that a £200 headphone is better than a £20. One and can see why people spend that much on them.....I CANT GET IT THROUGH MY HEAD WHY U WOULD NEED £1000 HEADPHONES!,!!!

surely spending that much can't be justifed?....no head phone can be so much better its worth that much surely?....

I asked around and did my research though so they defo seem the right phones for me but not sure how much of an improvement they will actually be....

You'll be able to tell the difference, trust me.

Apr 3, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #297 of 4,655
Quote:
ERM....

There is no sure answer to questions of sound quality; everyone experiences music differently and has different cares. Most people who truly care about the music they listen to, however, can see and understand the benefit of greater equipment. In addition, even those who care about the music often cannot discern much of a difference between the tiers of headphones and speakers when they first get into the hobby. I know there was a time for me when I couldn't find any big change in SQ moving up the totem pole from my ATH-M50 all the way until the $1K range. However, as your ears become accustomed to good sound quality you will likely find yourself wanting even more resolution, and make your way down the long and expensive path like most of us.

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #298 of 4,655
The change in quality is like the difference between listening to MP3s.

You grow up listening to the 128 kbps ones you found on the internet in the 90's illegally through P2P. Then you find ones that are in 192 kbps and think they sound "slightly" better. Then you start ripping your CDs in 256 kbps and downloading off iTunes in m4a 256 kbps. You think you can't tell that much of a difference. But after listening to those for a few years, you stumble across your old DAP, and decide to listen to your old library, and the difference is night and day.

I had a similar experience with that. When I got a $20 set of Logitech speakers, which are literally just neodymium drivers attached to a wire within a plastic housing, I thought they sounded pretty clear. They were better than what I'd heard on my laptop, TV, or PC before. Then I got my first hi-fi set. After using them for a good month, I tried the speakers again and they sounded like $20 speakers.

Even if you don't think there's a difference, it'll grow on you over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back