Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
May 15, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #3,121 of 4,655
Yes. As the price increases, there are less basshead headphones and the higher end you go the more "audiophile concentrated" they are but that by no means there are no basshead headphones above $300. 

The reason why I would say they are just minor improvement because they do not give you the clear upgrade like from $100 to $400 headphone IMO... 
I'd agree... But, if you eq a high end headphone, it might just be a bass head gem. Hawaiibadboy just eq'd ultrasone edition 8 2500$ headphones made for audiophiles, and they are now on his top 10 list of headphones that will thump you silly. It all comes down to drivers, design, and distortion.

May 15, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #3,122 of 4,655
Go check out this thread. http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/what-are-the-best-bass-headphones-the-extreme-bass-committee/45#post_10551280 he lists top 10 cans he has found.

May 16, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #3,123 of 4,655
I think the difference between a $400 can and a $1000 can be huge even in detail, technical ability.  But tonal balance is something you pay for as well, and there's a ton of research that goes into that.  I think sometimes tonal balance is discounted because "diff. manufacturers voice differently" but maybe that voicing costs more.  Like how purple used to be a more expensive color than green because purple dye was harder to get.  Regardless, I've noticed some $1000 are totally worth it, and some under $1000 headphones are tremendously good  values.  Difference between and HD800 and a Stax SR 007 though isn't so big, and that has more to do with driver tech.  Some people don't like Audeze at all because its a colored phone.  Some want neutral for less.  Some want colored for more, etc. etc.  It's all about taste.  Just find what you like and stick with it!  The value is subjective, as has been noted.  But I do notice differences between models, sometimes big, sometimes not.  Diminishing returns doesn't have an actual dollar point affixed to it, so it's quite hard to talk about "the majority of cans priced X number of dollars" though specific cans is a different factor... so much complicated.  : P

May 16, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #3,124 of 4,655
  I think the difference between a $400 can and a $1000 can be huge even in detail, technical ability.  But tonal balance is something you pay for as well, and there's a ton of research that goes into that.  I think sometimes tonal balance is discounted because "diff. manufacturers voice differently" but maybe that voicing costs more.  Like how purple used to be a more expensive color than green because purple dye was harder to get.  Regardless, I've noticed some $1000 are totally worth it, and some under $1000 headphones are tremendously good  values.  Difference between and HD800 and a Stax SR 007 though isn't so big, and that has more to do with driver tech.  Some people don't like Audeze at all because its a colored phone.  Some want neutral for less.  Some want colored for more, etc. etc.  It's all about taste.  Just find what you like and stick with it!  The value is subjective, as has been noted.  But I do notice differences between models, sometimes big, sometimes not.  Diminishing returns doesn't have an actual dollar point affixed to it, so it's quite hard to talk about "the majority of cans priced X number of dollars" though specific cans is a different factor... so much complicated.  : P

Indeed it is. Maybe its the experience that I have with higher end headphones... they just don't give me the "wow" impressions to some extend. They are better., but not something I would personally expect given the price tag... Like what White Lotus said,
 If you're buying a car, and the salesman asks you "Would you like to pay extra for leather seats and a sunroof"? 

May 16, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #3,125 of 4,655
Meh, for me it's more the difference between a Vette, and a Ferrari (rather than just sunroof and leather). You've already crossed into the expensive sports car category. Great performance by both. But now, the value question comes in for the better performance (and material/design/fit and finish) of the Ferrari - but is it performance that will matter to the way you drive (if you are stuck in traffic, or a crap driver, does the extra horsepower matter?), or whose significant price increase you can justify budget-wise. 

May 16, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #3,126 of 4,655
I've found that without a really good amp and binaural recordings (or REALLY excellent stereo recordings) high-end headphones don't get that wow factor.
Why?

Think about it: loudspeakers have that "wow factor, so why not headphones? Amps first off- nobody ever demoed a GOOD pair of loudspeakers with a crummy or underpowered amp and thought "these sound amazing!" Yet we test headphones without amps that live up to the headphone, or just plain without amps at all sometimes!
Secondly, is binaural vs. stereo. Stereo is designed just for what it says it is: put a good recording into speakers and it will sound the way it's supposed to, because it was mic'd properly for stereo loudspeakers. On headphones it really holds back a phones full potential to use stereo. If you ever get the chance, try plugging a binaural recording into a pair of loudspeakers. It's pretty wonky to say the least (excepting some of the newer cheeky stuff which is designed to play through loudspeakers too) nobody really puts binaural through speakers though. That would be a silly way to test it! But the availability and constraints of testing are there, so we settle for stereo on headphones. It will sound good, but a headphone will never live up to its full potential on non-binaural. It might actually get you so immersed in the music that you don't care, but it won't live up to what it's truly capable of. I find that a great many cans (and amps too) from cheapest of the cheap, to the most expensive ones I've tried (and I've tried more than a few flagships) show their true colors with binaural recordings. I try to use at least a half dozen binaural tracks to test any headphones I buy. Still, there is the issue of not much binaural stuff being available...

May 16, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #3,127 of 4,655
matter of opinion. If you want bass? I don't think you'll find anything harder hitting than an unnamed 300$ pair of headphones. For sound? Maybe, but I'm a little skeptical of drastic improvements going from a 500$ headphone to a 1000$ one, or a 1000$ one to a 2500$ one, or a 2500$ one to a 5000$ one... Just is a little iffy.

What about a basshead audiophile? Should they go for an unnamed $300 headphones, or a basshead TOTLs like TH900, which have both bass quantity and tightness?

Also, I have a Q701, which is not at all a TOTL and switching to my HD800/T1 it was easy to see what makes flagships so much better than mid-fi cans. Imaging of the soundstage, minuscule distortion (on the HD800), bass control, speed & decay, and above all else, transparency.

May 16, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #3,128 of 4,655
I've found that without a really good amp and binaural recordings (or REALLY excellent stereo recordings) high-end headphones don't get that wow factor.
Why?

Think about it: loudspeakers have that "wow factor, so why not headphones? Amps first off- nobody ever demoed a GOOD pair of loudspeakers with a crummy or underpowered amp and thought "these sound amazing!" Yet we test headphones without amps that live up to the headphone, or just plain without amps at all sometimes!
Secondly, is binaural vs. stereo. Stereo is designed just for what it says it is: put a good recording into speakers and it will sound the way it's supposed to, because it was mic'd properly for stereo loudspeakers. On headphones it really holds back a phones full potential to use stereo. If you ever get the chance, try plugging a binaural recording into a pair of loudspeakers. It's pretty wonky to say the least (excepting some of the newer cheeky stuff which is designed to play through loudspeakers too) nobody really puts binaural through speakers though. That would be a silly way to test it! But the availability and constraints of testing are there, so we settle for stereo on headphones. It will sound good, but a headphone will never live up to its full potential on non-binaural. It might actually get you so immersed in the music that you don't care, but it won't live up to what it's truly capable of. I find that a great many cans (and amps too) from cheapest of the cheap, to the most expensive ones I've tried (and I've tried more than a few flagships) show their true colors with binaural recordings. I try to use at least a half dozen binaural tracks to test any headphones I buy. Still, there is the issue of not much binaural stuff being available...

It's disappointing to know that binaural technology is so financially limiting. If they weren't so expensive, we'd be seeing more of it. Binaural tech is the final word on headphone testing IMO, having heard some of Chesky's recordings. But as far as I know, only Chesky makes binaural recordings. I still don't see why no record producers would adopt that kind of awesome tech. Maybe it's because a majority still listens to speakers, but then again, binaural recordings still work on 5.1 surround sound systems, don't they?

May 16, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #3,129 of 4,655
Pianoman touches on what I also believe to be true. The higher the quality of the headphone, the more important the gear being used with the phones becomes. The quality of the recording also needs to be at a high level. Lastly, I believe the listener needs to fine-tune/develop their listening skills to be able to truly appreciate what their hearing. A $1000 dollar bottle of wine would be wasted on me as I know nothing about the nuances of fine wine. I could drive a Ferrari but only a skilled driver can truly appreciate what the machine can truly do. I think this is a primary reason why people that aren't in this hobby are so under whelmed so often when they try a high level headphone. Their ears and minds aren't sufficiently experienced to appreciate what they're hearing. For instance, something as simple as understanding that bass quality is so much more important than bass quantity. Midrange cohesiveness, smooth treble extension, soundstage, physical slam....it goes on and on. These are just some of the things one should be listening for, incrementally improving as you upscale. Much as you should expect improvements in wine or cars or whatever as you spend more.

May 16, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #3,130 of 4,655
I could personally see myself working my butt off in the coming summer holiday to afford the 009. Not sure I will do so after all, but the thought has struck me :)

May 16, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #3,131 of 4,655
I could personally see myself working my butt off in the coming summer holiday to afford the 009. Not sure I will do so after all, but the thought has struck me :)

Lol I too am saving up for a 009 + amp and not sure if I'll get them as I've not had the chance to try them out, but looking for an end game rig. Goodluck

May 16, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #3,132 of 4,655
well I own a pair of sennheiser hd518 driven by audinst hud mini.

All the people who have heard this entry level setup were stunned by it. I believe it has a lot to do with sound signature. it has punchy bass, thick and involving midrange.

because of amp, they could hear continuous separate tunes played by instruments.

someone who is used to ipod earbuds, for them its a huge and very noticeable difference.

If you offer them very neutral set of headphones, maybe they won't like it.

on value note, I yesterday auditioned sony mdr 1r. its highest end hp I have heard and costs twice of hd518.

I could easily pick improvements. midrange is richer, bass is cleaner and tighter, instruments are better separated on same songs.

so much difference in just 10 min audition.

but is it worth twice the price? 518 is no slouch and is 90% at least of 1r. right now am feeling an urge to upgrade and get a new toy to mix and match with 518.

I believe i will pull the trigger not because of quality jump but cause i want to have a bit of variety and something new.

quality jump is certainly not worth twice the price imo.

May 16, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #3,133 of 4,655
Pianoman touches on what I also believe to be true. The higher the quality of the headphone, the more important the gear being used with the phones becomes. The quality of the recording also needs to be at a high level. Lastly, I believe the listener needs to fine-tune/develop their listening skills to be able to truly appreciate what their hearing. A $1000 dollar bottle of wine would be wasted on me as I know nothing about the nuances of fine wine. I could drive a Ferrari but only a skilled driver can truly appreciate what the machine can truly do. I think this is a primary reason why people that aren't in this hobby are so under whelmed so often when they try a high level headphone. Their ears and minds aren't sufficiently experienced to appreciate what they're hearing. For instance, something as simple as understanding that bass quality is so much more important than bass quantity. Midrange cohesiveness, smooth treble extension, soundstage, physical slam....it goes on and on. These are just some of the things one should be listening for, incrementally improving as you upscale. Much as you should expect improvements in wine or cars or whatever as you spend more.

100% agree with you although would still prefer to stick with $400 to $500 headphone although, again, would love to own a HD800 too xD 

Another thing worth adding is that there are people who is perfectly fine with a Apple earbuds + iPod rig. If we were to think about it, if we didn't get involved with all these good and yummy toys, our wallet could have been saved, and admit it, at some point, we are stressing about "How come the treble spike? It's annoying! How to get rid of this?!?" but if we were back to the stone stage, we wouldn't have this doubt. 

I find it easy to convince someone about our audio gears with Grado. Not that I am paid [I am not] or anything to write it but through my experience, my pair of Grado have not failed to impress anyone which my Zoro HD surprisingly did recently "for the first time in foreverrrrrr~" my friend said the sound was too congested but that's because after the Grado. 
on value note, I yesterday auditioned sony mdr 1r. its highest end hp I have heard and costs twice of hd518.

I could easily pick improvements. midrange is richer, bass is cleaner and tighter, instruments are better separated on same songs.

so much difference in just 10 min audition.

but is it worth twice the price? 518 is no slouch and is 90% at least of 1r. right now am feeling an urge to upgrade and get a new toy to mix and match with 518.

I believe i will pull the trigger not because of quality jump but cause i want to have a bit of variety and something new.

quality jump is certainly not worth twice the price imo.

That depends on what you are looking at. The 1R, does not have the airy soundstage like the HD518. If your happy with the HD518, stick with it xD happy listening :D

May 16, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #3,134 of 4,655
I keep getting annoyed at when people don't like headphones strictly because of sound sig... The problem with this, not liking headphones strictly because of signature, is ridiculous. (unless you're recording) Just eq it to your preference! Too many people are under the impression that an eq somehow deteriorates the quality, it doesn't. It can distort at high levels, but if you lower instead of raise, no problem.

May 16, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #3,135 of 4,655
I keep getting annoyed at when people don't like headphones strictly because of sound sig... The problem with this, not liking headphones strictly because of signature, is ridiculous. (unless you're recording) Just eq it to your preference! Too many people are under the impression that an eq somehow deteriorates the quality, it doesn't. It can distort at high levels, but if you lower instead of raise, no problem.

Not that they do not like. They do not understand it yet xD 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back