Noisy office - help!
Jul 27, 2011 at 10:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

austin99

New Head-Fier

Hi there,
I'm looking for a set of headphones where I work.  It's real noisy in here and I need to block out people talking as I can't concentrate to do my work (programming).  I currently have a pair of Shure SE310 Isolating IEMs which have fantastic sound quality but the isolation isn't that great at all - I've tried all the different sleeves/tips that they came with and they haven't made that much difference.  I could go down the route of getting custom sleeves for them but I reckon a closed full-size headphone will work better as I regularly have to take a call or talk to someone and insertion of the custom sleeve is a hassle if you keep getting interrupted every 10 mins.

Here's the current shortlist that I've come up with so far:- 
- Audio-Technica ATH-M50
- AGK K271 (mk ii?)
- Sennheiser HD280 Pro
- Sennheiser HD380 Pro
- Sennheiser HD 25-1
- Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ohm
- Beyerdynamic DT770 M

Isolation is critical (when music is playing) and then sound quality is the next more important thing.

I've tried the HD280 Pro and the isolation is good (when music is playing) but the sound quality isn't that great, its very bass heavy.  The HD380 Pros is supposed to have better sound, but does anyone know if the sound isolation is as good?
The DT770 M - the dummer version, is supposed to be best for isolation but I've heard the sound is way worse than the HD280.

I'm currently using a crappy sound card but will probably buy a FiiO E7 USB DAC & amp.  Music type is all sorts but with strong leaning towards electronic.

Oops, I've typed a bit more than I meant to...anyhow, can anyone give me some advice please.

Thanks

Jul 27, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #2 of 17
I personally would steer you toward the HD25-1 II.
A headphone that meets your criteria, for sure.  It isolates very well, and is light weight, durable, and sounds surprisingly good (especially considering its size and cost).

Later down the road, you can replace the cheap stock cable with the cable from the HD600, and experience a bit of improvement in clarity and bass extension.

cheers,
The Wuss

Jul 27, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #3 of 17
Thanks for the reply.

I read "HD 280 Pro is thin and bright with super high isolation and mediocre comfort. HD 25-1 is warm, full-bodied and dark with more comfort and reasonable isolation" on an older post here which made me wary of the HD-25-1 ii's from an isolation point of view....given that I want a lot of isolation.
Also I'm wondering if the HD280 achieve their good level isolation from their overtly bassiness?

Jul 27, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #4 of 17

Or to keep this thread a bit simpler...

Is the isolation of the HD380 Pro as good as the HD280 Pro?
& is the isolation of the HD25-1-ii Pro as good as the HD280 Pro?

thanks

Jul 27, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #5 of 17
I too would recommend the HD 25-1 II - although I haven't tried the others you mention. I'm in a very similar situation to you with pretty much the same criteria and I find the HD 25's are pretty much perfect for the job.

Jul 27, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #6 of 17
I own the HD25's and isolation is nice. Some people complain about their clamp force, but its something you can deal with. 

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #10 of 17
PS500, QC15, JVC on ear with NC, V-Moda V80, T50p, DT1350.

Jul 29, 2011 at 6:35 AM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
...does noone read the actual psot? 
http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/build-a-graph.php?graphID%5B0%5D=1573&graphID%5B1%5D=513&graphID%5B2%5D=&graphID%5B3%5D=&graphType=6&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones
comparing your suggestions vs what he's already said doesn't work well enough yours blocks 20-30 decibels less... 

One thing that is odd though is that the isolation comparison between the SE310 and HD280 Pro show that the SE310s are way better than the HD280s.  However in my real world experience the HD280 trounce the SE310s.  One difference I guess is that test uses pink noise whereas what I'm trying to block out are people talking and also I have music playing from the cans.

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #14 of 17

Quote:
Would I be correct in saying that the noise cancellation logic works best for a constant background noise rather than people talking?

It works against all sound, both in and out. The only thing that makes a difference is how close you are to the source of sound. Someone talking right next to you, you may hear them simply because the sound vibrates air in your body and on your bones. You only hear because a membrane transfers vibration to a bone. So it's near impossible to stop all sound. You can hear without your ears essentially. Plug your ears, you still hear. Vibration transfers. So again, close sounds will be louder simply due to that. Also, some frequencies are going to penetrate and vibrate more than others. You will hear a piercing sound before you hear a low rumble for example. Background noise will be pretty much gone. Get 'em off Amazon. If you don't like how they perform, get a refund. Simple.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back