Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Jan 9, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #1,276 of 36,135
  Well, IMO the B2 is pretty aggressive in the upper mids and overall both b2 and er4s are less forgiving due to their more of a "smack you in the face with details" nature. While in comparison the N4 is smoother and more natural sounding due to its a bit thicker note presentation - it still has excellent detail retrieval but is just not as aggressive, which makes it more forgiving. And yeah, while the leaner B2 might sound a touch crisper, the N4 easily beats it with its better bass, more natural and smoother mids, great timbre and smooth highs. Also, next to the N4's layering the B2 sounds a bit busy, even though it has pretty good separation.

Maybe I should give the B2s another listen anytime soon, just to be sure that what i just stated, is really the case. I pretty much agree with your impressions of the N4, and to be honest I haven't been listening to any of my other headphones, since they arrived about a week ago. But then again, why should i? They really are spectacularily good! 
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #1,277 of 36,135
  Maybe I should give the B2s another listen anytime soon, just to be sure that what i just stated, is really the case. I pretty much agree with your impressions of the N4, and to be honest I haven't been listening to any of my other headphones, since they arrived about a week ago. But then again, why should i? They really are spectacularily good! 
biggrin.gif

Well, I also don't listen a lot to the b2 but I gave it a short listen the other day coz a friend asked me about it. I always pick the er4s over the b2 even though joker's been giving higher scores to all TWFK-based iems like b2. And yeah, both er4s and b2 are a tad leaner sounding and the difference in the bass quantity is quite glaring when moving from N4. On the other hand, both er4s and b2 have more sparkle than N4, especially b2.

Jan 9, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #1,278 of 36,135
You might notice I said less forgiving, I chose my words 
wink.gif

My library is a mixture of everything with only a handful of low bitrate songs. Most are 320 kbps MP3's, the remaining is different qualities (for lack of a better word) of FLACs. With the 4r, it was distinguishable but it was more so with the N4. 

Jan 10, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #1,279 of 36,135
OK, so I think I'm done with the tip rolling and will stick with the medium blue/purple ones. Originally I used the smallest but I was at home and as usual once I took the N4 for a walk the seal started breaking. That's a weird phenomenon that almost always happens to me with new iems - I settle on one size, use it for a few days without issues and then suddenly I have to go for bigger tips.
Anyway, I'll try to spend as much time as I can with the N4 over the weekend and probably post more in-depth impressions early next week. I'm so impressed with the N4 that I might even write a full review soon, which kinda scares me given that usually even my short impressions are longer than most reviews on head-fi.

Jan 10, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #1,280 of 36,135
  OK, so I think I'm done with the tip rolling and will stick with the medium blue/purple ones. Originally I used the smallest but I was at home and as usual once I took the N4 for a walk the seal started breaking. That's a weird phenomenon that almost always happens to me with new iems - I settle on one size, use it for a few days without issues and then suddenly I have to go for bigger tips.
Anyway, I'll try to spend as much time as I can with the N4 over the weekend and probably post more in-depth impressions early next week. I'm so impressed with the N4 that I might even write a full review soon, which kinda scares me given that usually even my short impressions are longer than most reviews on head-fi.

I have fairly small ear canals but I needed the medium blue for a proper seal.  They're reasonably comfortable for short term (under 2 hours at a time) listening.

Jan 10, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #1,281 of 36,135

I have fairly small ear canals but I needed the medium blue for a proper seal.  They're reasonably comfortable for short term (under 2 hours at a time) listening.

Well, I actually have no issues with the comfort of the medium size tips because I moved them further back on the nozzle but I do get a touch shallower insertion this way. Luckily the sound doesn't seem to be affected by 1-2mm difference in the insertion depth.

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #1,282 of 36,135
Well, I performed a little experiment involving my wife. My wife is not an audiophile (whatever this means) in any kind of way but she has around 20-25 years of experience as a live performing artist, vocal, dulcimer/Dobro/acoustic guitar (American bluegrass/roots type of music).

Anyway, she is pretty much only acquainted with a pair of relative cheap JV IE M's combined with an pod 5.5 (Yes, it does have the the good old Wolf son 874x chip implemented)  as her main gym rig. My wife has absolutely no idea what I'm listening to/through or how/when I'm spending my money, let alone the relativity of pricing of portable audio gear. She just judges music by her ears/experience and we don't share anywhere near a similar interest in Fifi gear although we do on occasions play acoustic music together and do other things..like raising kids.

So, I let her choose her favorite tune listening through her very practical setup which she was absolutely very contend with. Then I let her listen to the same song while using the N4. It was a country tune by Alison Grass if anyone needs to know..

Okay, to say it bluntly she was very impressed and she offered me sex right away, which usually doesn't happen since I have to beg for it...

No, she was floored by their sound and the first thing she said was actually "how much did you pay for these". I immediately asked her how much do you think they are worth/priced compared to what you heard a few seconds before? 

She then answered very quickly.. $250, remember she has no clue about diminished returns or anything related to HiFi portable gear and coming from some $20-30 IEM's. I was seriously considering taking a brief visit to to our local bathroom before I told my otherwise lovely wife that the N4's actual price are $450.

All she said was that's okay.. "since I have just bought a $450 handbag that I didn't tell you about"!!

What's my point with this otherwise tedious story.. which is actual a true story, pricing included.  Value can be a very different perception to each individual but quality will hopefully always contain.

Of course I don't truly mean the above statement, but in the case of the N4 it comes very close.. Sorry, that I avoided any notion about what the N4 really sounds like.. since I strongly believe that is something we should decide on our own. I'm very impressed with the N4 and when my wife gave the N4 a true thumb up for something she thought was slightly expensive/overkill, why not..

Jan 11, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #1,286 of 36,135

just get her a big K-10... she'll be impressed forsure.

I think she was quite satisfied with the four driver unit and I can't really afford anything larger.. although she wish...

By the way,..how are the Hammers doing? I have noticed if I read the table upside down they are second from the the top 
wink_face.gif

Sorry, it was an easy punt and I would love them to stay in the premier league...One of my best UK friends "blows bubbles forever" so thereby I support WHU...and  Marc Rieper I have battled with many times if you remember him? 

Jan 11, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #1,287 of 36,135
  Well, I performed a little experiment involving my wife. My wife is not an audiophile (whatever this means) in any kind of way but she has around 20-25 years of experience as a live performing artist, vocal, dulcimer/Dobro/acoustic guitar (American bluegrass/roots type of music).

Anyway, she is pretty much only acquainted with a pair of relative cheap JV IE M's combined with an pod 5.5 (Yes, it does have the the good old Wolf son 874x chip implemented)  as her main gym rig. My wife has absolutely no idea what I'm listening to/through or how/when I'm spending my money, let alone the relativity of pricing of portable audio gear. She just judges music by her ears/experience and we don't share anywhere near a similar interest in Fifi gear although we do on occasions play acoustic music together and do other things..like raising kids.

So, I let her choose her favorite tune listening through her very practical setup which she was absolutely very contend with. Then I let her listen to the same song while using the N4. It was a country tune by Alison Grass if anyone needs to know..

Okay, to say it bluntly she was very impressed and she offered me sex right away, which usually doesn't happen since I have to beg for it...

No, she was floored by their sound and the first thing she said was actually "how much did you pay for these". I immediately asked her how much do you think they are worth/priced compared to what you heard a few seconds before? 

She then answered very quickly.. $250, remember she has no clue about diminished returns or anything related to HiFi portable gear and coming from some $20-30 IEM's. I was seriously considering taking a brief visit to to our local bathroom before I told my otherwise lovely wife that the N4's actual price are $450.

All she said was that's okay.. "since I have just bought a $450 handbag that I didn't tell you about"!!

What's my point with this otherwise tedious story.. which is actual a true story, pricing included.  Value can be a very different perception to each individual but quality will hopefully always contain.

Of course I don't truly mean the above statement, but in the case of the N4 it comes very close.. Sorry, that I avoided any notion about what the N4 really sounds like.. since I strongly believe that is something we should decide on our own. I'm very impressed with the N4 and when my wife gave the N4 a true thumb up for something she thought was slightly expensive/overkill, why not..

Great story, and tell your wife (that has obvious good taste and great judgement in character) that the "Wizard and team says Thanks."

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back