Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Jun 2, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #11,402 of 36,063
  Cool thanks! That's what I thought. The dots were facing to the rear of the earpiece and not towards the nozzle when I got my K10Us.

The dots / positive pole is the rear pin for almost all iem and ciem makers out there except Earsonics AFAIK.

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #11,409 of 36,063
Hey guys. Am about to pull the trigger on the K10 universal and was wondering if my DX90 or an iPhone 6 plus have enough power for these iem?

My DX50 drives the K10 fine, so you should not have any issues with your DX90.

Welcome to the Noble club! We talk IEMs on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and everything else under the sun on every other day!

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #11,410 of 36,063
Hey guys. Am about to pull the trigger on the K10 universal and was wondering if my DX90 or an iPhone 6 plus have enough power for these iem?

They sound great from both my DX-90 and LG G2. I have not found the need for external amplification.

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #11,411 of 36,063
More K10 family members.
frown.gif
I feel like the orphan.
eek.gif
Lottery is tonight, so it wont be long.
beerchug.gif

Jun 2, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #11,412 of 36,063
You are not the only one. I inadvertently did a 100% blind A/B test of my own. I put together a DAC and amp on my home system so my Mac was simply a transport for my ALAC files. I took the exact same DAC and amp to my office and the only difference was instead of my Mac Pro as transport, my office system is a Macbook Pro laptop. I used a cool utility called Double Twist to sync my iTunes library and playlist to a USB drive so I could plug in to my Macbook.

When I put the system together at work, the sound quality was worse than home. In short, it sounded muffled. I brought the components back home and sound was fine. I thought the problem was that the USB to my DAC at work was through my TB monitor, while at home it was directly from the Mac. So I switched cables, tried optical, different power cords and still no solution. When I inadvertently saw that my 64 GB thumb drive was still 80% free, I then realized that I didn't change the default sync settings on Double Twist and it had compressed all my ALAC  to 256 MP3. When I corrected this, sound quality returned to normal. The entire time I tested "B", I was 100% convinced the files were the same. There was no chance of placebo effect.

BTW, the max rate that Double Twist will sync is 16/44 without compression so I had manually copy my music files. This was a while ago so maybe they increased the sampling rate.

That's very interesting. I can't argue the experience. Not wishing to put you on the spot but I wonder if you fancy trying this test. The same song snippets recorded in ten different codecs. Grade them in order of preference and I will PM the guy running the test for the result.
http://www.vintageip.com/test/abbado.m4a

Jun 2, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #11,413 of 36,063
Guys, I am on my way to get my impression redone.  I'm bringing  a small block to bite on(audiologist doesn't have one), it's 1.5" by 2". Putting it in my mouth at 2" seems uncomfortable an stretching too far, I think i'm gonna go with the 1.5" side.  Any thoughts?

Jun 2, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #11,415 of 36,063

Yeah, this is what I used as well. Think the smaller side is ~1", and that's what I've always heard is the size to use. 

Also make sure they follow the instructions from the Noble site here (be sure to download the PDF file, print and bring with you). As many have stated they can fail to get the impression either deep enough and/or fill the whole outer ear sufficiently. 

Enjoy the process and try not to drool on yourself too much! (kind of unavoidable really). 

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back