Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Dec 15, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #7,336 of 36,121

Very nice review!  I am so happy with the K10's. I understand the law of diminishing returns might not give you that initial "WOW" moment, but if you spend more time with these you realize you've purchased something truly special and unique.  I can't imagine achieving more in an iem!

Absolutely true. I always believe the best, and longest love gear is the stuff that sneaks up on you over time. The ones that are instantly impressive are often slightly tiring in the long run because they're emphasising something to make themselves sound exciting - the K10 doesn't do that at all.

Great review.  I guess my K10s will arrive in late January to mid February.  I will probably read that review a couple more times to tide me over.

Also, as  previous SE846 owner, I appreciate that aspect of your review.  The only question I have is regarding the treble energy.  When you are discussing the K10 treble as between SE846 blue (stock) and white (brighter) filter, can you tell me more?  I guess I had it in my mind that the treble would be smooth like you describe but extend more like my Westone W60.   

Thanks again for a fantastic review!

Thanks for asking, M Coupe. I was reflecting more on the treble section of my review last night and felt that I hadn't done it justice so I returned to it and added this:

EDIT 16th December 2014: I've come back to address the topic of treble a second time around because I think it's difficult to capture the K10's treble qualities in verbal descriptions. After thinking on this review overnight I felt like I needed to better clarify and describe the treble with some more concrete comparisons. I returned to the SE846 with both the blue and white filters and I also compared the K10's treble to the HD800. The results are a clearer picture of why the K10s sound so wonderful. Where the SE846 (blue filter) rolls off a little too soon for those who want air and space in the sound, the K10's treble continues to extend up into the higher registers where the subtlest of cues reside. Unlike the SE846 (white filter) though, this treble doesn't seem like it includes any spikes - it is smooth and so can sound rolled-off at first, but if you compare it to a rolled off 'phone you will hear a distinct difference and realise that the K10 has all the information, just without any spikes.

Comparing next to the HD800s, the HD800s initially sound a bit brighter and more detailed in the treble, but further listening shows that they have a slight emphasis in the mid treble (around 6 kHz according to various graphs), but not any significant extension beyond what the K10s offer. In other words, the K10s have all the information in the full treble spectrum, but none of it is emphasised so coming from a 'phone with any treble lift (HD800, T1, FIDUE A83, etc.) you might find the K10 to sound a bit too smooth, but it's all there  - I promise - and it's the lack of emphasis that allows the K10s to be so marvelously revealing and transparent, and yet completely non-fatiguing.

Dec 15, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #7,338 of 36,121
  My K10 review is done! Thanks so much once again to Dr Moulton, Brannan and the whole team at Noble for a truly outstanding CIEM!

http://passionforsound.wordpress.com/2014/12/15/noble-kaiser-k10-custom-in-ear-monitor/

Great review.  Had never heard of the Shozy Alien until now.  How would you say it sounded unamped vs the X5?  I'm currently using an X1 with a E12A amp and found the X1+Noble 6 benefits greatly from the e12a.

Dec 15, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #7,339 of 36,121

Great review.  Had never heard of the Shozy Alien until now.  How would you say it sounded unamped vs the X5?  I'm currently using an X1 with a E12A amp and found the X1+Noble 6 benefits greatly from the e12a.

The Alien has a much more spacious sound than the X5 (both unamped) and it is way ahead of the X1 (which is great, but they're in different classes). The only real drawback with the Alien is that it produces a little bit of hiss which can't become slightly fatiguing (to my ears at least) after a long session. Adding an amp (like the E12A) instantly rectifies this and leaves you with an impeccable source that's getting close to $1000+ performance levels like the AK players.

Dec 15, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #7,340 of 36,121

The Alien has a much more spacious sound than the X5 (both unamped) and it is way ahead of the X1 (which is great, but they're in different classes). The only real drawback with the Alien is that it produces a little bit of hiss which can't become slightly fatiguing (to my ears at least) after a long session. Adding an amp (like the E12A) instantly rectifies this and leaves you with an impeccable source that's getting close to $1000+ performance levels like the AK players.

Thanks for the quick reply.  I got an X3 when it first came out, but the lock switch broke off, and I had issues with the UI/Navigation.  Grabbed an X1 just because of how cheap it was (and for the price it is terrific).    Have only had my Noble 6 for a week but have been looking for ways to get the most out of them.  Your great review of the K10 and the Alien really hit the spot for me, as the prices of the AK players are just a bit too much for me after picking up the Noble's.

Just placed my order on the Massdrop for the Alien,

Dec 15, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #7,341 of 36,121

Thanks for the quick reply.  I got an X3 when it first came out, but the lock switch broke off, and I had issues with the UI/Navigation.  Grabbed an X1 just because of how cheap it was (and for the price it is terrific).    Have only had my Noble 6 for a week but have been looking for ways to get the most out of them.  Your great review of the K10 and the Alien really hit the spot for me, as the prices of the AK players are just a bit too much for me after picking up the Noble's.

Just placed my order on the Massdrop for the Alien,

Cool. I was just about to tell you about the drop for them so glad you found it - it's an amazing deal for an awesome player!

Dec 15, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #7,343 of 36,121

Cool. I was just about to tell you about the drop for them so glad you found it - it's an amazing deal for an awesome player!

Your pics of the your K10 with the Alien and E12 did a hell of a sales job for me.  Went from your K10 review, to the Alien review, to the Alien discussion on here.  Thanks again, and sorry for derailing the thread here.

Dec 16, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #7,345 of 36,121
Just got my shipment confirmation and pictures for my K10's. Woo-hoo!

Had to personalize this Wizard reprint a bit.

Will send out my thoughts after I get them.

Thanks Brannan, John, Sunny and the rest of the Noble team!

Cheers

Dec 16, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #7,346 of 36,121
Just got my shipment confirmation and pictures for my K10's. Woo-hoo!

Had to personalize this Wizard reprint a bit.

Will send out my thoughts after I get them.

Thanks Brannan, John, Sunny and the rest of the Noble team!

Cheers

Very nice!  Enjoy the ride!

Dec 16, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #7,347 of 36,121

eek.gif

beerchug.gif

I would love to see The Wizard do something with bismuth... hollowed out to accommodate the innards... and then finished off with crystal instead of acrylic.  Would probably be as heavy as **** but would be amazing!  Bismuth (for those unfamiliar with it:

Dec 16, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #7,350 of 36,121
  What's its hardness rating, do you know? I wonder if it could be a Prestige design?

Mohs is 2.25, Brinell is 94.2 MPa.  It's pretty dense stuff as well.  And it's also fairly diamagnetic.  But now that I think about it, the greatest challenge might be overcoming the slight radioactivity.  Oh well, one can dream... 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back