Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Apr 20, 2019 at 12:50 AM Post #30,061 of 36,066
For a connector? How? :O

There were systems there with speaker cables that cost $60,000 usd that is down right crazy. I guess if you have the money to blow it doesn't matter. It is a status symbol.

Apr 20, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #30,062 of 36,066
There were systems there with speaker cables that cost $60,000 usd that is down right crazy. I guess if you have the money to blow it doesn't matter. It is a status symbol.

I seriously want to know what kind of customers whoever selling those cables have...mind blowing.

Apr 20, 2019 at 2:11 AM Post #30,066 of 36,066
Here are some quick impressions of the solaris as compared to the Khan.

Bass
Kahn has clear and well defined sub bass that slowly rolls off into the mid bass and lower mids. The solaris has more pronounced mid bass and than on the Khan. There are times when I feel that the Khan has more impact in the bass than the solaris. This might be due to the way that the mids are presented with each iem.
Mids
The two both present the mids differently both are enjoyable. The solaris has a more forward mid range where with the khan they are slightly pulled back. the presentation with the khan seems more airy. With classical music there is more depth to the soundstage. and better layering of the instruments. the brass presents to me more life like. I can see some people prefering the solaris with more modern music over the khan.
Highs
The highs on the khan are much clearer and faster on the khan. This might be due to the piezo tweeter. The highs on the Khan are the closest to the kse1500 that i have heard. There is more air with the khan and more "sparkle" as well. the sound stage with the Khan presents deeper and the imaging is a bit more precise with the Khan.

I like both and need to spend more time with Khan to make a final decision on which one I prefer. The Khan only has about 20 hours on it and the solaris is well over 200 hours.

As a side note the Khan is more comfortable than the solaris though i do not find the solaris to be uncomfortable. I prefer both of them over my roxanne 90% of the time I find the roxanne to warm now that I am used to the lcd4z as my daily driver.

More to come on this later. If there is anyone else out there with both the Khan and Solaris I am keen to hear your impressions as well.

Apr 20, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #30,067 of 36,066
When you wanted me to put your aftermarket cable on and I said I didn't feel comfortable doing it, which set was it, the Khan or Encore? I know I sent you to the Effect Audio booth to do it.
I am referring to the way Noble handles the sockets in general. One of the thinner cables did get loose in my Khan, but the Khan cable itself always fit well. If you remember I had to use the thinner cables due to the noise issue.
I ended up retuning my Khan over the noise issue as it still produced a hum or high pitched sound even when using the Audioquest Dragonfly Red. It did sound fabulous when it was working though, and Jim was great to work with. Tks.

Apr 20, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #30,068 of 36,066

... If there is anyone else out there with both the Khan and Solaris I am keen to hear your impressions as well.

Like you I also like both and enjoy jumping from one to the other depending on music and mood. Right now, I can't live without either actually.
I agree with most of what you say, especially about the tremble, and the bass is pretty accurate as well, from what I hear.
At first I thought they were pretty close in sound but the more I listen to both the more I hear differences.
Also, the Solaris has more hiss on my non-Sony players, on the Sony's they sound fine. Actually Sony players make both the Khan and Solaris sing like no other earphones.
Khans have a better fit to my ears as the Solaris are bigger.

Apr 20, 2019 at 2:33 AM Post #30,069 of 36,066
Like you I also like both and enjoy jumping from one to the other depending on music and mood. Right now, I can't live without either actually.
I agree with most of what you say, especially about the tremble, and the bass is pretty accurate as well, from what I hear.
At first I thought they were pretty close in sound but the more I listen to both the more I hear differences.
Also, the Solaris has more hiss on my non-Sony players, on the Sony's they sound fine. Actually Sony players make both the Khan and Solaris sing like no other earphones.
Khans have a better fit to my ears as the Solaris are bigger.

I really like both out of my sp1000cu as well. I don't get hiss with the sp1000 but I do get some hiss with the solaris out of the Hugo 2. I really enjoy the Khan with the Hugo2 and Mscaler it is magical. The solaris is great with this combo as well and as soon as the music starts you can't hear the hiss at all they are just a lot more sensitive. I also agree that the more I listen the more differences show up. I was originally going to list the solaris for sale but I can't bring myself to do it. I decided to try to sell my roxanne but it seems like there is not much demand for them at this point in time.:disappointed:

Apr 20, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #30,070 of 36,066
Actually, now that I think of it, I did try my EE cable on my Savants for about 3 seconds and hated it but it fit fine.. so either the Fearless cable is weird or my Katanas are unusual..

I found this adapter on ebay for $33 so I'll probably just go that route with a 2.5mm Noble cable.

Note too, anything between the DAP and cable; like an adapter may change the sound. This is arguable even if psychological, some think they notice.

Apr 20, 2019 at 3:01 AM Post #30,071 of 36,066
I had a friend back in my 2 channel days who used to put cotton balls at strategic spots in his listening room. I've done my fair share of tweaking that others might consider insane so, yeah, I hear you.
The connectors on that pigtail look to be of decent quality so hopefully any change isn't detrimental if I go that route. I may still just gamble on an aftermarket cable and hope for the best.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #30,072 of 36,066
The 2-pin connectors that Noble uses should be 0.78mm. The 0.75mm 2-pin connectors are the extruded ones that QDC currently use, and Ultimate Ears and Unique Melody used to use.
Yep, AFAIK, they have been using the 0.78mm connectors since the K10 days.

Wow, that sounds like an eternity ago.

Apr 20, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #30,073 of 36,066

Bass
Kahn has clear and well defined sub bass that slowly rolls off into the mid bass and lower mids. The solaris has more pronounced mid bass and than on the Khan. There are times when I feel that the Khan has more impact in the bass than the solaris. This might be due to the way that the mids are presented with each iem.
Mids
The two both present the mids differently both are enjoyable. The solaris has a more forward mid range where with the khan they are slightly pulled back. the presentation with the khan seems more airy. With classical music there is more depth to the soundstage. and better layering of the instruments. the brass presents to me more life like. I can see some people prefering the solaris with more modern music over the khan.
Highs
The highs on the khan are much clearer and faster on the khan. This might be due to the piezo tweeter. The highs on the Khan are the closest to the kse1500 that i have heard. There is more air with the khan and more "sparkle" as well. the sound stage with the Khan presents deeper and the imaging is a bit more precise with the Khan.

I like both and need to spend more time with Khan to make a final decision on which one I prefer. The Khan only has about 20 hours on it and the solaris is well over 200 hours.

As a side note the Khan is more comfortable than the solaris though i do not find the solaris to be uncomfortable. I prefer both of them over my roxanne 90% of the time I find the roxanne to warm now that I am used to the lcd4z as my daily driver.

More to come on this later. If there is anyone else out there with both the Khan and Solaris I am keen to hear your impressions as well.
I have a Solaris, and I'm about to purchase a Khan myself. I'm driving both from a Hugo 2, and my impressions mirror yours pretty closely.

The treble on the Khan is quite spectacular - clear, sparkling and detailed. On the other hand, the Solaris has a little more body and weight in the mids. Bass is about the same, but I feel that the Khan pushes a little more air. These are all preliminary impressions, since I don't have a Khan on hand at the moment. But my audition was enough to convince me that I had to add the Khan into my stable of IEMs.

Apr 20, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #30,074 of 36,066
I seriously want to know what kind of customers whoever selling those cables have...mind blowing.

Well you are talking about a system where the speakers are $250k and the mono blocks are $250k as well. The total system was north of $1 million.

Apr 20, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #30,075 of 36,066
What about the 2 channel guys who fill their listening room with vintage acoustic instruments to create harmonic nodal points? Haha.

CC754D0B-2F0C-4A2A-B8B1-F9432AF22BE6.jpeg
870AA71D-EF6A-49BB-A1F4-2B437C57CDDF.jpeg
I had a friend back in my 2 channel days who used to put cotton balls at strategic spots in his listening room. I've done my fair share of tweaking that others might consider insane so, yeah, I hear you.
The connectors on that pigtail look to be of decent quality so hopefully any change isn't detrimental if I go that route. I may still just gamble on an aftermarket cable and hope for the best.
I can say the aftermarket Han Sound ZEN 4 wire cable I purchased dropped the lows from the Encore even though it was 4.4mm. So for me the aftermarket cable was not an improvement?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back