Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Jul 21, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #21,271 of 36,040
  Don't forget the glove. 
biggrin.gif

Yeah I forgot about the glove. Perhaps could someone tell me. Does Brannan wear only the one glove, or does he have different ones for certain occasions? 

Jul 21, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #21,272 of 36,040

First it's the pants and now it's the shoes, at least there are no reservations here about the shirt!

Going by memory, the jeans I do not believe were discussed as being ugly or anything, I think its how they were being worn. The shoes, I have seen then in person, no one will ever be using them as a K10 design, etc.

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #21,280 of 36,040
  Well as time went on  I reserved my comments hoping that perhaps someone else would. It finally dawned on me that probably very few people are in a position to answer because the new Katana is just rolling out. I happen to have a prototype of the new Katana that was given to me by Dr. John and I also have a set of K10U. I guess that leaves it to me to to make some comments about the two. I am a devoted fan of the K10U. I own many iem's and I keep reaching for the K10U as my reference iem. Then came a package in the mail from John and I have had time with the new Katana. I have listened to the Katana extensively over the past month. It is without question a flagship grade product but very different from the K10U. In the Katana I realized that John had created a separate but different flagship so that he could appeal to a wider audience. 

So let me explain in simple terms the difference between the two that most headphone/iem enthusiasts can easily grasp. The K10U sonically leans in the direction of the Audeze LCD or top Hifiman products as far as sound signature. The Katana is much more the HD800 or even the Stax reference sound. I am not trying to make a direct overall performance comparison between these headphones and iem's but many of us on this forum can relate to the house sound of those products. You will note that many would consider the LCD 3 to be a reference grade product while the latest version of the HD800 would earn the same yet they are very different sounding products.

The Katana is clarity first with an expansive soundstage for an iem. The separation of voices and instruments is exceptional. The bass is detailed though not with the weight of the sub bass in the K10U. There is a warmth to the K10U that pulls you into the music and makes most any well recorded material sound inviting. The Katana is much more a reference sound in the vain of the HD800. I have both and I enjoy both but for my musical preference I more often reach for the Katana. It should be said that I am a fan of classical music and I have owned both the HD800 and some Stax gear. So having said that, you know where my personal listening preference falls. 

Many companies have produced more than one flagship quality product to appeal to different segments of the market. It is just smart business. Some like open headphones and some like closed back headphones. We all have our own listening preference. As someone who actually owns both the K10U and the Katana I can say without reservation that they are both flagship quality products while appealing to people with different listening preferences. I applaud Dr. John for being able to create two such fine products.

I'm curious if the sound signature of the the Katana is closer to the Savant? I've listened to the Savant U a couple of times and did a very brief instore comparison to the K10U. If I could find the vivid midrange of the Savant with a little more bottom end, I think that would be close to being the perfect IEM

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #21,283 of 36,040
    I'm curious if the sound signature of the the Katana is closer to the Savant? I've listened to the Savant U a couple of times and did a very brief instore comparison to the K10U. If I could find the vivid midrange of the Savant with a little more bottom end, I think that would be close to being the perfect IEM

I have the Savant so I can comment on this. The Katana is far superior in many ways but the one thing that is similar is the mid range. I find the Savant a very enjoyable iem but it is not to be realistically compared to the Katana for overall performance. That is very reasonable considering the large difference in retail price. You are obviously a very astute listener as you pointed out the vivid mid range is the over riding strong suit of the Savant. The Katana has that and much more.

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #21,284 of 36,040
I really hope Noble Audio can come up with a basshead IEM. The kind of bass that  the ASG2.5 or the SONY XB90Ex can give. 

k10 bass need to push. no push no bass. such as cable ,amp and source. stock ak380 can't push k10 bass out. my Samsung s6 edge push better bass than my ak380.

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #21,285 of 36,040
k10 bass need to push. no push no bass. such as cable ,amp and source. stock ak380 can't push k10 bass out. my Samsung s6 edge push better bass than my ak380.
:cry::persevere::cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back