Newbie disenchanted with Grados.. please help!
Feb 24, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #46 of 50
From what I've heard, you need some Pro 900's. and for DJing, I've been more than happy with my HD380 Pros. Always go closed for that application.

Feb 25, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #47 of 50
I think you're in the wrong brand, Grado is not for you.

You sound more like a Sennheiser type of guy, too bad they don't have nice wooden cans. 
What you need is the LCD-2. But as that may be a tall order. Someone mentioned the Pro900s. These have a very metallic sound to them but otherwise are very nice and bassy. I think they have a lot of mids presence though that may get you fatigued. I think what you need is something bassy with a relaxed sound presentation. the Sony XB700, not wood though, might actually be to your liking. Though it might have too much bass.

Alternately you can try doing what I did. I have a modded SR80 that is bassier than my old M50 and I was able to mute the treble and mids down to size, AND I changed the cups to wood. There's a thread on it around here somewhere.

Alternately you can try the Grado HF2 which is probably the only stock Grado you would be happy with.

Quote:
I used to be really into DJing and have had a pair of Technics rp-dj1200 that I've used for the past 10 years. I recently decided that if music is so important to me, I should get myself a decent pair of headphones. So after much reading and deliberation, I settled on the Grado 225's. They arrived the other day, and to my surprise, I wasn't blown away. Sure, there is a definite clarity to them, and the open-ears are an interesting change, but I can't get over the lack of bass? What's more, I find the mid-treble presence really fatiguing. 

So after muuch more reading, my thinking is to send them back and perhaps shoot for the Grado Rs-2's. However I'm still concerned this may have the same lack of bass issue. Is this the case?
Forgive me if  I'm being naive, but I have to go with what sounds best to my ears...

I'd really appreciate some seasoned advice: are there other headphones that I should more seriously consider?

Budget < $600
I enjoy blues-rock music. 
I'm in love with wooden cans.
I apparently want a strong bass phone.
Can be open/ closed, but really like a light weight
Really don't want to use a headphone amp.

I was thinking perhaps the Denon 5000 (although slightly over budget) but do they need an amp? Darth Beyers? Rs-2s?

Thanks folks!

Feb 25, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #48 of 50
wind016:
man, you're on your game with headphones... and really fantastic advice. thank you. bending the metal makes a lot of sense. i'm a bit embarrasssed that i never considered that. however, i'm not entirely convinced it's something i want to do while i'm still on the fence about sending them back (i'm not absolutely confident in my ability to re-bend a perfect arc haha). also... and this may be me over-analyzing this manoeuvre in my mind, but if the ear-cups are sitting too low because the rests are bending too far up, wouldn't pinching the metal band to bring the earcups closer together lower the cans further down my face?
also, really appreciate the quick headphone reviews. are there any other one's i'm not considering? you haven't had any experience with the mspro's by chance, have you? lol... and i will be ignoring your stax comment :wink:

Mochan:
thanks for your input. I've just update my original post (and headphone pursuit), and you're right in the realm of where I'm looking. do you have much experience with the LCD-2's? Are they quite heavy? i feel like at the end of the day, i'd rather pay more for an amazing set of headphones now and be super happy for a decent amount of time, then get a so-so pair and always be wandering...

Feb 25, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #49 of 50
The LCD2's are heavier than most headphones. When I saw them for the first time, they were larger than I though they would be. They are very well constructed and IMO quite beautiful. Some folks feel they are uncomfortable and press too hard in on the skull in specific areas. Most people I know didn't have a problem with their comfort. I sure didn't, but I don't put a priority on that. The LCD2's will need serious amping to sound good - they are one of the most demanding headphones in terms of needing a "proper" amp and source - far more than any of the other headphones in the short lists above.

Welcome the the world of Head-Fi. You will probably be searching for the right kind of sound that suits your tastes for the next several years. You may want to try Beyer, Ultrasone, or Sennheiser next since you are already familiar with the "house" sounds of Audio-Technica and Grado. At least now you have heard the differences between open and closed phones.

Feb 25, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #50 of 50
Hey magnaton,

Just adding to what purrin said, this may or may not be the point where curiosity controls most of what you buy. haha At this price point and higher, headphones start becoming more of preference differences. They all have their pros and cons. As said before, orthodynamics definitely require a good amplifier. Audio Technicas, on the other hand, simply require a good DAC with a good built-in amplifier such as an Anedio D1. Getting a new DAC will give you overall more clarity and a MUCH more spacious sound.

If your only problem is the lack of pressure on the W1000X, then my best bet is just to bend the metal bands. I believe the Audio Technica ES7 head band mod would work too. You can find that mod if you search for it. Otherwise if you don't have a problem with the sound, then you can probably just do some searches and see what sparks your interest. The W1000X is really good for the price, IMO. If you want more detail, the Ultrasone ED8s can give you more detail but in exchange you get a much smaller soundstage and it was rather overpriced IMO. $1000 headphones tend to either require an amplifer, such as the Beyerdynamic T1 and LCD 2, and at least have a different sound. Paying more doesn't equal better. $600 is a good stopping point for dynamics IMO. Over that, I would rather spend the money on an amp or dac, the HIFIMAN HE 6 or a Stax. I was rather unimpressed by the top tier dynamic headphones. I also didn't care for the Audeze LCD 2 too much. The treble roll off was a bit much for me and open headphones don't have that bass impact of closed headphones nor the vocal intimacy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back